Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you throw away your expansion box if you can integrate it into your core game box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
Poll: Do you throw away your expansion box if you can integrate it into your core game box?
Do you throw away your expansion box if you can integrate it into your core game box?
Yes
No
      352 answers
Poll created by tekshi
Just wondering, I always feel a little guilt when I throw away the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The fist one is hard but it is liberating, just like tossing the inserts of the original game to make more room for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife hates it when I do, but I do it as much as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone of Light
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me a sucker, but I'm a completionist through and through. I just can't bring myself to get rid of one of the boxes. Though, my collection is rather small right now and all those boxes fit on one shelf of my bookcase. Perhaps in a few years, when I start to run out of room, I'll get up the nerve to throw them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet anyway. I integrate expansions into the core game if at all possible, but keep the expansion boxes. Sooner or later space will run out, then I'll have to worry about what to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered yes because I normally do it. Though for certain games I will keep them, but stored somewhere else out of the way. Some are just too nice to throw away. Or someday the game may be worth a lot of money and it might keep a bit more value if I have all the original boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because all games are up for resale, and expansions are sometimes sold by themselves. I keep all games as near mint and complete as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. They're usually sturdy and I use them for my own designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I have all my expansion boxes in a catch all room in my house. No idea why I keep them, but I don't want to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the option for "sometimes -- depends on the game"?

The 7th Continent: I was going to just toss the boxes (flimsy cardboard anyway, and everything fits into the main box) but the art was nice so I cut out the front images and stored them flat in the box just in case.

Likewise, the boxes for Dunwich and Carcosa in Arkham Horror: The Card Game are flat in my closet, although this is mainly in case I decide to resell.

Tokaido: I often play without the expansion so everything is still inside the box, which is inside the game.

I was going to toss the expansion boxes for T.I.M.E Stories because I have A LOT of them and they take up space, but let's just say that I can't.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the puzzles in one of the games depends on something hidden under the insert. I could throw out all the other boxes but it would look weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about the only reason I would hang on to a box I didn't need is if it would help to sell it down the road, if it came to that. But since I would likely never sell an expansion without the base game, it wouldn't make any sense to hold onto the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Both. Sometimes? I didn't used to, and I don't like to, but the boxes are starting to take over. If I put all of the expansions into one box and get rid of the expansions boxes it looks like I have less games and my wife is more likely to be ok with getting another one whistle. At this point I'm only getting rid of boxes for cheaper games like carcassonne, and I'm holding onto expansion boxes for things like kickstarters that are more exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Cano
France
Nice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I didn't do it, but due to severe space problems in my house I had to start doing it. If I had the space I would keep them, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it finally depends on the game.

If the core game box fits the expansion easy enough, then yes. Though some expansion boxes might be re-purposed rather than thrown away. The first example that came to mind was Thunderstone Advance.

I have no need, however, as some gamers seem to have, to fit everything within one box. Though I can see how this makes it easier to transport the game, and takes less space, I still have plenty of storage space and place mostly at home, so I have no problem with that. I furthermore prefer to have certain components, especially miniatures, well packed, so I keep my expansions for Zombicide: Black PLague, for example, in their original boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "yes" but that said I am not very big on expansions so it doesn't happen often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often resell games, so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
No. In fact, I store all the expansion boxes on my game shelves even if they are empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sometimes I throw away the original box if the expansion box fits better.

For example: Machi Koro was consolidated into the Harbor expansion box. And, Guildhall was added to the Guildhall: Job Faire box (and now I have all of Guildhall: Fantasy in that box, too).

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use the boxes to store other non-gaming things, since game expansion boxes are often nicely sturdy.

Not sure if that counts as keeping them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always - one of the reasons I like expansions so much - they take no space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never - But keep in mind that I'm going to try banning myself from buying expansions in the future in favor of completely different game instead, so my current collection of empty expansion boxes might not grow much larger than it already is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, always. No use taking up valuable space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have combined boxes, but to date I haven’t thrown away any boxes. This could eventually be problematic with my Talisman habit, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard & Paula
Netherlands
Assen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible I put the content in the box of the base set but I never throw away boxes of expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game honestly. If the expansion is crammed with enough stuff then it makes sense to keep both boxes. However there have been many times when it's just a deck of cards or some extra dice so why not? Besides, in cases like Viticulture Essential Edition & Tuscany Essential Edition, where I will absolutely 100% never play the base game without the expansion, why not keep in the same box? Easier to store, carry, and set up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.