Popular Tags: [View All]
Crown of Command
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
Cult of the Ultra-New
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle has always been a game I've been interested in, but never played nor purchased as it was only 2P. Now with the 3P ability my interest is renewed, though I haven't seen anyone's opinions on how well a 3P game plays yet. Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Fields of Arle (...) was only 2P.

And 1P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geraint & Rhyannon
Wales
Briton Ferry
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the one play we had of it last night, we thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to play it again. Nobody used the boats very much, though two of us picked up the cutters to gain extra food each round, I personally thought the costs for trading with the large ships seemed a bit steep so stayed away from them. Tea was widely used for affecting the potency of the tool-based actions, and one player went crazy with digging the new ditches. We played with all-new buildings, which was challenging as we hadn't seen any of them before. All in all it did feel a bit tighter with only a few new action spaces, but not so tight that it felt restricting. I'd definitely recommend it for three players - G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO, the 3P game is good. Only 7 rounds but the quickstart + tea mechanics compensate for the fewer total actions. With the 3 imitate spaces and new actions you never feel too constrained for choices. You are more likely to have a building you were after taken by an opponent but there are more buildings available so this isn't a huge issue. We didn't find downtime to be a huge issue and the new rules are mostly ibuitive but the game will still probably take a little longer than a 2P game with the expansion.

The only drawbacks for us are that the table space requirements are big (3.5' * 4') and setup is even more of a chore than the base game or base+exp with 2p. Here's a blurry photo showing the end of our 3p game with lots of suboptimal decision-making (e.g., one of us forgot the aninal scoring rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Butler
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the 3p game last night and it was great. I was also a bit worried that 7 rounds would be too few to get some real action going, but it worked really well actually. The quickstart was very smart and I totally loved the tea bonuses.

The table space needed is insane and the huge number of available buildings and actions felt overwhelming, but mostly in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoryana wrote:
The table space needed is insane and the huge number of available buildings and actions felt overwhelming, but mostly in a good way.

Agreed. We also had one new player, so it was especially overwhelming for her. I found the new additions mostly intuitive (didn't care for the Ovens exception, and we found ourselves unsure at times on how/why vehicles ≠ boats).

The accelerated start was really nice, something I'd want to port over to 2p games. And the overall pace was comparable to the normal 2p game: 7 rounds x 4 actions x 3 players = 84, vs 9r x 4a x 2p = 72 (but you skip 2 inventorying phases, which brings them just a little closer to equal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.