Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/sport/taufatofua-mens-15km-fr...

A good lesson from this young man. A Tongan, that only saw snow practice 2 weeks before the event. He finished 114 out of 119, but he finished proud, at having accomplished something he had not done before. Proud for himself, and proud for his country. No illusions about his prospects to be on top, simply doing it to challenge himself, and provide inspiration to his fellow Tongans that might follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
...He finished 114 out of 119...

How crappy do the people who placed 115 - 119 feel right now?
"Man, I lost to a guy who has only seen snow 4 times in his life!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Colombia, Morocco, Portugal and Mexico don't see much snow either. The five went out to dinner together after the event and became friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
MABBY wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Colombia, Morocco, Portugal and Mexico don't see much snow either. The five went out to dinner together after the event and became friends.

Cool superhero team origin story - now we just need to get them some powers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

"First step, finish before they turn the lights off," he told reporters of his aims. "Don't ski into a tree, that's number two," he added.

Y'gotta love this guy, there for the pure joy of the sport and the competition, all with a generous dose of good-natured humor.

I vehemently disagreed with the naysayers some years back when "Eddie the Eagle" participated in the ski jump, so I sure hope there won't be any of that this time around. They said that Eddie had no right to be there, and that he made a mockery of the Olympic games because he had no chance to win, but I think the love of sport that we humans seem to be born with, and the very idea of amateur competition, allow plenty of room for those who have no chance to win!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

Quote:

"First step, finish before they turn the lights off," he told reporters of his aims. "Don't ski into a tree, that's number two," he added.

Y'gotta love this guy, there for the pure joy of the sport and the competition, all with a generous dose of good-natured humor.

I vehemently disagreed with the naysayers some years back when "Eddie the Eagle" participated in the ski jump, so I sure hope there won't be any of that this time around. They said that Eddie had no right to be there, and that he made a mockery of the Olympic games because he had no chance to win, but I think the love of sport that we humans seem to be born with, and the very idea of amateur competition, allow plenty of room for those who have no chance to win!

thumbsup

I read someone describe Eddie the Eagle as the Olympics' best tourist/athlete ever. And sure, some people came down hard on him when he competed, but he's considered something of a folk hero now. He was even mentioned in that Games' closing ceremony speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, but what about when I get the thing I wanted, but it wasn't the thing that would really help me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

Eddie the Eagle

thumbsup one of my heroes
even has his own movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1083452/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.