Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone,
We are in love with Dr Eureka, mom, dad and 7-year-old girl. It is a fast game that applies mathematical reasoning, what's not to love?! I find this similar to many of the Thinkfun and SmartGames but contrary to those it can be played by 1-4 players at the same time, which is a lot more fun for a family.
Do you know any similar games in terms of multiplayers and science/ math reasoning for kids that you can recommend?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mess Machine comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimension
It's very similar in that everyone plays simultaneously with several cards determining the goal for each round, and it has spatial/dexterity components. It also plays 1-4. You can adjust the difficulty for individual players if the skill levels are too different by varying the number of rule cards a player has to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not 100% match to the request, but it seems to me these might also be enjoyable;

IOTA

Sagrada

Potion Explosion

Kodama: The Tree Spirits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Code 13+4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cooksey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zendo requires one player to act as judge, but it's the best scientific reasoning game I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of Dimension, which applies similar puzzling skills while increasing the difficulty level.

Blue Orange makes a few other "Dr" games as well (Dr. Microbe, Dr. Beaker) that have the same mathematical style, but use different dexterity skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Edwards
France
Plemet
Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's an old classic and it's only 2 player but Mastermind uses logical thinking for deduction. We have a house rule of not duplicating colours.

Programming mechanic games might be interesting too as they force you to think in logical steps.

We are big Dr. Eureka fans here too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Lloer, what do you mean by "Programming mechanic games"? Can you give an example? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. Really nice suggestions in here!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess also the very nice Crazy Circus could fit your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lloer wrote:
It's an old classic and it's only 2 player but Mastermind uses logical thinking for deduction. We have a house rule of not duplicating colours.

Programming mechanic games might be interesting too as they force you to think in logical steps.

We are big Dr. Eureka fans here too!

I think this user is thinking of games like Robot Turtles and RoboRally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! We have robot turtles. As for Roborally, it looks like there is no recent version. Would Ricochet Robots or MicroRobots be similar? These are still available.

Many thanks again, this thread has so many nice ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dr Microbe, Dr Beaker and Go Go Gelato - they are all by the same designer and published by BOG. Dr Eureka is my favourite of the lot, then Dr Microbe, Go Go Gelato and Dr Beaker, but they're all super fun.

nickie wrote:
Thanks! We have robot turtles. As for Roborally, it looks like there is no recent version. Would Ricochet Robots or MicroRobots be similar? These are still available.

Roborally definitely has a recent (2016ish) print to look out for.

Ricochet Robots is a brilliant game too, but it's an acquired taste. 90% of the game is staring at the board in intense concentration. Some people are better at it than others, and it's not a "relaxing" game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tucker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nickie wrote:
Thanks! We have robot turtles. As for Roborally, it looks like there is no recent version. Would Ricochet Robots or MicroRobots be similar? These are still available

Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas is also designed as a lighter version of RoboRally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dunno if it's been mentioned but Twin Tin Bots is a programming game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTucker wrote:
nickie wrote:
Thanks! We have robot turtles. As for Roborally, it looks like there is no recent version. Would Ricochet Robots or MicroRobots be similar? These are still available

Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas is also designed as a lighter version of RoboRally

If you don't mind guns, Colt Express is a solid little programming game. My 6 year old got it when she was 5 and managed to play it with ~modest~ success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Graves
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/361/hare-tortoise

Hare and Tortoise is very mathy. It's pretty fun!

Someone gave it to me for free, so if you want to pay shipping, I'd give it to you for free. The copy is in very good condition.

Or if you happen to live in Chattanooga or Auburn, AL, no shipping necessary.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Graves
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christopherdgraves wrote:

Hare and Tortoise is very mathy.

By the way it is elementary-level math required. She might already be able to do it all--if she can't, then she will within a couple years for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Delp
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NMBR 9 involves spacial reasoning while playing and then math for scoring. Any numbers on the ground/bottom level score 0; numbers on the 1st floor score normal value. numbers on the 2nd floor score times 2, etc.

Karuba involves spacial reasoning and patterns. You're trying to build paths from your explorers to their matching temples. You'll need some math and puzzle solving skills to decide when to place tiles on your board or when to discard tiles to move your explorers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping Queens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crampton
United States
La Plata
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My boys love Dragonwood

Adds a nice theme to a sneakily educational set collection game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjbulldog wrote:
NMBR 9 involves spacial reasoning while playing and then math for scoring. Any numbers on the ground/bottom level score 0; numbers on the 1st floor score normal value. numbers on the 2nd floor score times 2, etc.

I didn't even think of NMBR 9! That would be a great one. Puzzle-y but no race to be the fastest. And don't worry if your daughter can't do multplication; it's only needed to determine the final score. It's easy enough for even a kindergartener to understand that you want big numbers on higher levels, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling America has a sort of topology/math feeling to it. Not expensive and plays about the same at all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Smith
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickie wrote:

Ricochet Robots is a GREAT game... but it is not really like Roborally at all. The closest game I've found to Roborally (which did get a recent reprint) is Asteroyds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.