Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/mitt-romney-senate-u...

Apparently he is running, and given his popularity in a deep Red State, likely to win an easy victory. And although I don't agree with his politics, he is also no friend of Trump, laughs. That might be his only redeeming factor at this point. Woo Hoo, maybe he'll vote on the Dems side, eh?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
One of the more amazing things Trump and the current GOP has done is make me pine for the days of candidate Mitt Romney.

And I really can't stand Mitt Romney's politics.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we make him travel back and forth to Washington and Utah in a cage on top of a mini-van?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
Avatar
mbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/mitt-romney-senate-u...

Apparently he is running, and given his popularity in a deep Red State, likely to win an easy victory. And although I don't agree with his politics, he is also no friend of Trump, laughs. That might be his only redeeming factor at this point. Woo Hoo, maybe he'll vote on the Dems side, eh?


Yeeahh...Flake, McCain, Corker, Graham, all also no friends of Trump if you listen to what they say, but when you look at their voting records...
13 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Former governor of Massachusetts who happens to own a house in Utah says "Utah" about a billion times in his 2 minute announcement video. Listen to how he emphasizes UTAH at the 1:19 mark - "I believe I can help bring UTAH’s values and UTAH’s lessons to Washington."

He doesn't once mention his main political qualification...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/mitt-romney-senate-u...

Apparently he is running, and given his popularity in a deep Red State, likely to win an easy victory. And although I don't agree with his politics, he is also no friend of Trump, laughs. That might be his only redeeming factor at this point. Woo Hoo, maybe he'll vote on the Dems side, eh?


Yeeahh...Flake, McCain, Corker, Graham, all also no friends of Trump if you listen to what they say, but when you look at their voting records...


Yea, I fully anticipate he'll be one of these Republicans who "denounces" Trump and snipes at him on Twitter, then votes with him 95% of the time.

With "opposition" like that, who needs friends?
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Zedsdead wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/mitt-romney-senate-u...

Apparently he is running, and given his popularity in a deep Red State, likely to win an easy victory. And although I don't agree with his politics, he is also no friend of Trump, laughs. That might be his only redeeming factor at this point. Woo Hoo, maybe he'll vote on the Dems side, eh?


Yeeahh...Flake, McCain, Corker, Graham, all also no friends of Trump if you listen to what they say, but when you look at their voting records...


If one remembers that wonderful photo of Trump and Mitt dining together it kind of indicates that The Donald will still be playing "Dance Monkey Dance" with him when he is elected.

(Note: If someone has a copy of that please upload here. I can't figure out how to resize the one I have)




Hmm, anyone know how to resize?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He wants to bring Utah values to the Senate....yeah, no thanks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
He wants to bring Utah values to the Senate....yeah, no thanks.


Wouldn't that mean all the men in the Senate would resign if any females were elected too? If so, I'm all for it! whistle kiss
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:



Hmm, anyone know how to resize?


[ imageid=####size_desired ]

Voilà!

6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:


Hmm, anyone know how to resize?

Add "medium" after the image number. Etc.

I'd be a lot more interested if I thought Mitt would be truly independent instead of another GOP apparatchik. ObamaCare was, after all, originally RomneyCare.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
He wants to bring Utah values to the Senate....yeah, no thanks.


Wouldn't that mean all the men in the Senate would resign if any females were elected too? If so, I'm all for it! whistle kiss
No need to elect any women, Mitt will be bringing his binders.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:


Former governor of Massachusetts who happens to own a house in Utah says "Utah" about a billion times in his 2 minute announcement video. Listen to how he emphasizes UTAH at the 1:19 mark - "I believe I can help bring UTAH’s values and UTAH’s lessons to Washington."

He doesn't once mention his main political qualification...


Well, he is Mormon, so having legitimately close ties to Utah isn't exactly a stretch to believe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He was a decent governor and isn't a big liar.

I think he is genuinely religious and the values of his religion are generally positive.

He should run as a conservative independent. I don't think the republican party can be saved at this point. I think it's lost to those who pander to the wealthy, racists and corporations.
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edgarthewoebringer wrote:
One of the more amazing things Trump and the current GOP has done is make me pine for the days of candidate Mitt Romney.

And I really can't stand Mitt Romney's politics.


He wasn't that bad when he was governor of MA. His shift when he ran for President changed that pretty dramatically.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
He wants to bring Utah values to the Senate....yeah, no thanks.


At this point, a Republican with measurable values and a willingness to stand up to the President seems a good thing to me. I don't agree with all of them, to be sure, but it beats the lick-spittle crap too many of them are willing to accept now.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
He was a decent governor and isn't a big liar.

I think he is genuinely religious and the values of his religion are generally positive.

He should run as a conservative independent. I don't think the republican party can be saved at this point. I think it's lost to those who pander to the wealthy, racists and corporations.


I'm guessing he's running as a Republican because he wants another chance at the presidency.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
edgarthewoebringer wrote:
One of the more amazing things Trump and the current GOP has done is make me pine for the days of candidate Mitt Romney.

And I really can't stand Mitt Romney's politics.


He wasn't that bad when he was governor of MA. His shift when he ran for President changed that pretty dramatically.


I don't think his shift to the right during the 2012 Republican primaries was real. He was forced into right wing positions he did not believe in, in order to get the nomination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
edgarthewoebringer wrote:
One of the more amazing things Trump and the current GOP has done is make me pine for the days of candidate Mitt Romney.

And I really can't stand Mitt Romney's politics.


He wasn't that bad when he was governor of MA. His shift when he ran for President changed that pretty dramatically.


I don't think his shift to the right during the 2012 Republican primaries was real. He was forced into right wing positions he did not believe in, in order to get the nomination.


Well, if he hadn't stuck with them since, I might agree. But we'll see what he runs on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
well, on the one hand his contempt for poor people was kind of blatant in 2012 and he's lived most of his life as a predatory capitalist who is literally everything destructive about modern economics and his "success" at the Salt Lake Olympics was basically just begging the government for money and then pretending he didn't do it because free markets and his signature policy as governor of Massachusetts was actually drafted by Democrats and he was just politically unable to stop it from passing so he decided to take credit for it

on the other hand, though, he wears the right underwear and he'd never say the F-word, like not even on a dare, so just hand him the Senate seat right now and get it over with because he'll fit right in with the rest of Utah's shitpile congressional delegation
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
18 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
He wants to bring Utah values to the Senate....yeah, no thanks.


At this point, a Republican with measurable values and a willingness to stand up to the President seems a good thing to me. I don't agree with all of them, to be sure, but it beats the lick-spittle crap too many of them are willing to accept now.


That's a one trick pony and not good enough for either Utah or the rest of the country.

Besides he'd just fold like a thin undershirt and shorts and vote for whatever Paul Ryan wants.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
on the other hand, though, he wears the right underwear and he'd never say the F-word, like not even on a dare, so just hand him the Senate seat right now and get it over with because he'll fit right in with the rest of Utah's shitpile congressional delegation


It could have been phrased in a way that wasn't intentionally offensive and putting your bigotry on display. But that wouldn't be very fun, would it? And it wouldn't get you a few ugly thumbs from others who are happy to display their bigotry that they'd not accept if you similarly disparaged a Jew or Muslim.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
That's a one trick pony and not good enough for either Utah or the rest of the country.


I hope you'll pardon me if I want to actually see what he runs on and how he behaves if elected.

Quote:
Besides he'd just fold like a thin undershirt and shorts and vote for whatever Paul Ryan wants.


There's an old joke about a freshman Congressman who enters the House chamber for the first time and asks someone in leadership "Where are the Republicans? I want to see the enemy." The more senior Representative says "The Republicans aren't the enemy, they're the opposition. The Senate is the enemy."

Very few Senators will give a damn what the Speaker of the House says.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice even he's not stupid enough to think he could win in MA where he was governor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.