Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/15/17017682/s...

DACA people still in limbo, when all 4 bills proposed on the Senate floor, failed. The real issue was actually not DACA or the border wall. All the bills gave the DACA people a path to citizenship, and all the proposals had some major spending increases for border security.

The real issue was lack of any bipartisan agreement on LEGAL immigration. Trump and most Repubs want to seriously curtail it, the Dems, not so much. Trump has threatened to veto the bill that had the likeliest chance to succeed, because it did not go far enough on curtailing legal immigration.

Congress, once again demonstrating their inability to work together in a bipartisan way, for the good of all. This does not surprise me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. the Republican president unilaterally terminates DACA protections, thus creating an immigration law crisis where none previously existed

2. multiple legislative proposals are drafted, all of which essentially agree on dealing with the DACA issue (which all sides claim to agree on) as well as border security/the wall (where the sides do not agree but the Democrats were willing to compromise in order to get the DACA protections passed)

3. but no bill is passed on issues that both sides agree on, because the Republicans will not vote on those issues unless they also get their way on other issues

4. leading to bad takes like this:

abadolato01 wrote:
Congress, once again demonstrating their inability to work together in a bipartisan way, for the good of all. This does not surprise me.

this is a bad take because Congress is a political system, and it is working as designed, which is to say very badly because it is a poorly designed system that requires much more consensus than any political system can reasonably accommodate, but that system CAN work (albeit poorly), assuming that all parties are willing to compromise

the problem is not that Congress is broken; the problem is that Republicans broke it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

DACA people still in limbo, when all 4 bills proposed on the Senate floor, failed. The real issue was actually not DACA or the border wall. All the bills gave the DACA people a path to citizenship, and all the proposals had some major spending increases for border security.

The real issue was lack of any bipartisan agreement on LEGAL immigration. Trump and most Repubs want to seriously curtail it, the Dems, not so much. Trump has threatened to veto the bill that had the likeliest chance to succeed, because it did not go far enough on curtailing legal immigration.

You touch on the real reason for all this. Its not about illegal immigration anymore. Its about the fears of the "Browning of America". And more importantly, maintaining the white political hegemony in the US for as long as possible. Once one realizes this, one realizes the underlying strategy behind the GOP tactics of voter suppression, curtailing immigration, gerrymandering, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

You touch on the real reason for all this. Its not about illegal immigration anymore. Its about the fears of the "Browning of America". And more importantly, maintaining the white political hegemony in the US for as long as possible. Once one realizes this, one realizes the underlying strategy behind the GOP tactics of voter suppression, curtailing immigration, gerrymandering, etc.

I will grant you that yes, I believe the Republican party is the "Keep it White" Party. I actually do laugh, when I see a Black or Latino Republican on TV. Not only are they rare, but they seem to represent a huge dichotomy. i.e., the color of their skin does not square with white identity politics.

That said, I do think Congress used to be a far less divisive place, where things could get accomplished. I no longer feel that way. I think the divide is real, and deep. And I suspect either the Republican part or the Democratric party will have to die, for the cavern to be filled in, and frankly, time, and the shifting U.S. demographics, are on the Democratic side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that Trump and the current House GOP had pushed back the coming "minority majority" status of white people in America by five years from the previous expectation. I believe it's now something like 2047 where the earlier estimate was 2042.

In other words: it's a feature, not a bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.