Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of ordering Grombrindal And The Black Gobbo. Then I realised they reference skills which are not covered in my basic rule book. For now I am mostly interested in 1-off games, and as such I prefer to buy extras that can be played without buying Death Zone. This had me wondering about other products?

Do Elf and Dwarf boxed teams include rules for their skills?

Do Team Titans and Hall Of Fame special play cards imbue players with skills not in my rulebook? Do they reference other advanced rules?

I'd hate to buy an expansion that we will need a PDF handy in order to play with. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
flag msg tools
badge
As far as star players not mentioned in the base rules and Death Zone books, individual rules come with the models from Forge World.

Skills possessed by and accessible to Elf and Dwarf teams are described in the base rules and/or Death Zone supplements.

Cards typically reference skills in the rule books or possess everything you need on the card itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for those 2 are in White Dwarf, and I think the rules were republished in the recent compendium.

They are niche players that you won’t normally use. One for the completist collector really, not a normal player.

Teams only use rules in the main rule book or supplements, and cards are standalone. If they nerf a rule, they explain how the nerf works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for these guys are very niche--The two stars show up only when a Dwarf, Halfling, Human or Norse team plays a Chaos Renegade, Goblin, Orc or Underworld Denizen team, and then they both show up to play for free. You could play them in some other way, of course.

It might be of interest to you to grab a copy of the old LRB6, upon which the current rules are almost entirely based. You could get a very good idea of exactly what you're missing, and you'd have reference for all but a couple new skills. Only one (Piling On) has been substantively changed from the LRB.

The LRB Version 6, also (effectively) known as the Competition Rules Pack, or CRP, was (and is) distributed for free by GW, so it's all legal. Here is a link to the best version. It links directly to a file dowload page (which I can vouch for), so if you're uncomfortable with that for some reason, just Google "Blood Bowl LRB6" and you'll find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grombrindal and the black gobbo has their rules in a White Dwarf article, but their rules are available for free on the forgeworld website, on "downloads" tab on those minis.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Blood-bowl-grombrindal-th....

For both elf and dwarf teams you can play with the rules on the core set. Regarding their abilities, the new ones that you'll need (like frenzy or thick skull) comes in the team box, along their skills. You don't need Death zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
battlepuppy wrote:

They are niche players that you won’t normally use. One for the completist collector really, not a normal player.

puzzlemonkey wrote:
The rules for these guys are very niche--The two stars show up only when a Dwarf, Halfling, Human or Norse team plays a Chaos Renegade, Goblin, Ore or Underworld Denizen team, and then they both show up to play for free.

Right now all my games are Orcs vs Humans. Of the 4 other teams I am most interested in, 2 of them are Goblins and Dwarves.

I think I would get a lot of use out of these in casual play. The free player aspect is s negative opportunity cost. Using these players will allow more team variety, freeing up gold pieces for more positional, rerolls, or even other costly Star Players.

Also, Star Player minis cost real money, and this is 2 for the price of 1.

Lemonpips wrote:
Cards typically reference skills in the rule books or possess everything you need on the card itself.

This is my question. Will supplementary Special Play cards reference skills I do not currently have rules for?

eg, if there were a Special Play card that grants a player the frenzy skill for the turn, I would need a reference for that skill.

Nogardo wrote:

For both elf and dwarf teams you can play with the rules on the core set. Regarding their abilities, the new ones that you'll need (like frenzy or thick skull) comes in the team box, along their skills. You don't need Death zone.

Just so I'm clear, the Elf team comes with a description of their skills, or simply a list?
I vastly prefer a tactile rules sheet vs a PDF on a tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is my question. Will supplementary Special Play cards reference skills I do not currently have rules for?

eg, if there were a Special Play card that grants a player the frenzy skill for the turn, I would need a reference for that skill.

I can't remember if specific skills are granted, but everything is easily accessed via the CRP, which can be found here:

https://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/

Quote:
Just so I'm clear, the Elf team comes with a description of their skills, or simply a list?
I vastly prefer a tactile rules sheet vs a PDF on a tablet.

For all of the teams I've seen, I have yet to see one with more than a list of positions, stats, and skills for a typical $1M roster. So again, I'd download the CRP and maybe just print out the skills section to have on hand when needed. It should be noted though that the Death Zone supplements may have a few new(er) skills that aren't in the CRP. "Swoop" for the Goblin's doom diver is one I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.