Subject: Ancients and Plots are not an Encounter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if I enter a Location with a Plot card or an Ancient, but nothing else, should I draw an Encounter card from the appropiate Encounter deck?

In the case of an affirmative answer:

- In the case of entering a Location with an Ancient, as Assaulting the Ancient is a Deed, can I Assault the Ancient before the Encounter card is drawn?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”-Thorin Oakenshield
badge
"Joooe Cool, hanging 'round the water fountain..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
So, if I enter a Location with a Plot card or an Ancient, but nothing else, should I draw an Encounter card from the appropiate Encounter deck?

In the case of an affirmative answer:

- In the case of entering a Location with an Ancient, as Assaulting the Ancient is a Deed, can I Assault the Ancient before the Encounter card is drawn?

Thanks!

I believe you would draw an encounter in this situation. I've played that you have to fight the encounter first, and assault the ancient afterwards. So I've treated the encounter as an obstacle, for all intensive purposes. (As by that point you can probably kill most encounters with ease). But, the rulebook does say "A Deed may be performed by a hero at any time during their Hero Turn - including during an Action, an engagement, or another Deed. (Hidden heroes cannot perform Deeds.)
So it appears you could attack the ancient before the encounter.
Sorry if this isn't helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, I think your post also highlights that the question is not so easy to solve!

After rereading several parts of the rulebook, I think it's sure to say that Plots and Ancients are NOT Encounter cards and, therefore, one should be drawn when entering a Location with only a Plot and/or an Ancient.

Regarding the conflict between Assault and solving the Encounter just drawn, in fact it should only be a problem if the Encounter is an Enemy or an Event (in case you want to go straight for the Ancient, of course).

The Deeds section (p.20) says:
"A Deed may be performed by a hero at any time during their
Hero Turn - including during an Action, an engagement, or
another Deed. (Hidden heroes cannot perform Deeds.)"

If a Deed can be made during the steps of a Move action (move to an orthogonally adjacent location, then draw a card, etc.), then the Assault Ancient Deed could be performed before drawing the card.

Also, if that's true, it seems that the player could choose to draw the Encounter card.
If it is a Place or Quest it will be assigned to the Location and can be ignored... unless a Reveal effect is present, which would resolve immediately (before any Deed can be activated).
If it's an Event, its effect would also resolve immediately before any Deed.
If it's an Enemy, the Deed could be performed at any step of the Engagement (as the Deeds description says), thus the Enemy can be ignored and the Ancient could be Assaulted during, let's say, the "Determine Surprise" stage of the Engagement, before any Fight tests are rolled.

Sooooo.... let me clarify the questions:
1) When moving into a Location with only an Ancient card on it, can the Assault Ancient Deed be performed before an Encounter card is drawn?

2) If it cannot, or if it's possible but the player decides to draw the Encounter card nonetheless, when is it possible to perform the Assault Ancient Deed...
2.1) ... in the case of an Event?
2.2) ... in the case of another type of Encounter card with a "Revealed" effect?
2.2) ... in the case of an Enemy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooooops!!!

I totally forgot one restriction for Assault Ancient:
"Restriction: Hero must have completed their saga finale, they
must be at the Ancient’s location, and that location must
have no other encounters
."

So, the only question remaining is this:
1) When moving into a Location with only an Ancient card on it, can the Assault Ancient Deed be performed before an Encounter card is drawn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
https://landnam.old.no
badge
https://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
When moving into a Location with only an Ancient card on it, can the Assault Ancient Deed be performed before an Encounter card is drawn?

This is actually a very good question. I have always assumed that you can’t, but in general deeds may interrupt almost any sequence of events. As the rules mentions the moving before the drawing, I believe the most literal reading would be that you can perform the Assault before drawing the Encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gjerde wrote:
Falenthal wrote:
When moving into a Location with only an Ancient card on it, can the Assault Ancient Deed be performed before an Encounter card is drawn?

This is actually a very good question. I have always assumed that you can’t, but in general deeds may interrupt almost any sequence of events. As the rules mentions the moving before the drawing, I believe the most literal reading would be that you can perform the Assault before drawing the Encounter card.

If the wording of the Move action did say 'When entering a Location without Encounter cards, immediately draw an Encounter card from the corresponding deck.', then it could be assumed that entering the Location and drawing the card can't be interrupted.

I guess the intention of the game is that an Encounter card should be drawn and solved in this situation, however the wordings and minutae.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
https://landnam.old.no
badge
https://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
gjerde wrote:
Falenthal wrote:

If the wording of the Move action did say 'When entering a Location without Encounter cards, immediately draw an Encounter card from the corresponding deck.', then it could be assumed that entering the Location and drawing the card can't be interrupted.

Exactly.

Quote:
I guess the intention of the game is that an Encounter card should be drawn and solved in this situation, however the wordings and minutae.

As we are lucky to have Tristan frequenting these forums, we might get a clarification on this, but until that I would have ruled in favour of the most literal reading of the rules rather than a guessed intention (even though I initially assumed the same).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”-Thorin Oakenshield
badge
"Joooe Cool, hanging 'round the water fountain..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to LOTR:TCG, when a rules issue arises, it seems right to choose the harder option. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
I guess the intention of the game is that an Encounter card should be drawn and solved in this situation.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.