1 , 2  Next »   | 

Troyes» Forums » General

Subject: This better than Concordia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your opinions on the two? I was just about to order this but I was told concordia was better. Also is there a new version coming out this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see them as comparable at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think of these two games in terms of which is better than the other. Both are quite good. When I compare these games it's based on the fact that they're very different. Both in terms of theme and mechanisms. At a first pass I'd ask if you have a preference for the mechanisms of either game.

Troyes is about dice. Where you can use other people's dice... for a price. There's a lot of different things you can do, and part of the challenge of the game is finding a path to points.

Concordia is about cards. What you're doing is a lot more constrained, you're mostly getting stuffs to buy cards and build trading posts... it's really about creating synergies between the cards you get and what you do on the map.

Another factor to consider is what your groups will like. I have a lot more luck getting Concordia played, as it's a bit more straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Carvalho
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think Concordia is a bit more accessible than Troyes for new players, but ultimately for me Troyes is the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed: very different games. I love both of them, but have a harder time getting Troyes to the table. The iconography in Troyes takes some time to learn, and if people feel possessive of their dice it can feel confrontational. For me, Troyes is a heavier game than Concordia. Concordia shines when you have a group that grows in experience with the game together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is heavier and has more interaction. This is a plus for me, but YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s way better—but as mentioned, it’s very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Shane as well. Given the choice, I'm picking Troyes every time. It's my number 2 game. They are quite different, but the choice is clear - Troyes will never leave my collection and I haven't missed moving Concordia on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't expect much from Troyes, but thought that Concordia would be right up my alley. After playing both, Concordia was "nice" while Troyes was amazing. (I'd happily play either game again, but would always select Troyes over Concordia if asked which we should play.)

That's only one data point, and I'm sure many people feel the opposite - especially if you ask the same question in the Concordia forums.

I do agree with others: the games are so different in how they feel and play that a direct comparison probably isn't meaningful. Both are good games, but they do very different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattia Vincenzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very different games. Personally, I prefer Troyes. Big time. Feels much more unique, fun and interactive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bewl Bewl
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have kept Troyes and sold Concordia. Troyes plays better and looks fabulous. Whilst Concordia is a good game it kept getting overlooked because the visuals are so unappealing and there are other games with a similar feel, eg Istanbul, that my group preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
As others have said, an odd comparison, e.g. what's better - tasty fresh fruit or a good movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
tasty fresh fruit or a good movie?

Another easy one...fruit is terrible. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with all of the above. Even the fruit over the movie.

But keep in mind, you are asking this question in the Troyes forum.

Just sayin’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind... the people answering this in the Troyes forums might be a little biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Agree with Shane as well. Given the choice, I'm picking Troyes every time. It's my number 2 game.

Troyes is my everything, I mean, my number one Just curious, which one is yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
Agree with Shane as well. Given the choice, I'm picking Troyes every time. It's my number 2 game.

Troyes is my everything, I mean, my number one Just curious, which one is yours?

Macao. I'm actually surprised someone didn't jump in and answer it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewl wrote:
I have kept Troyes and sold Concordia. Troyes plays better and looks fabulous. Whilst Concordia is a good game it kept getting overlooked because the visuals are so unappealing and there are other games with a similar feel, eg Istanbul, that my group preferred.

Exactly the opposite for me. I have a much harder time getting Troyes to the table. I rate them both as top-10 games for me, so you can’t go wrong. I find I have more desire to play Troyes most of the time, but Concordia does play 5 whereas Troyes does not, if that matters to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BitsOWood wrote:
I think Concordia is a bit more accessible than Troyes for new players, but ultimately for me Troyes is the better game.

Agree 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Bewl wrote:

Exactly the opposite for me. I have a much harder time getting Troyes to the table. I rate them both as top-10 games for me, so you can’t go wrong. I find I have more desire to play Troyes most of the time, but Concordia does play 5 whereas Troyes does not, if that matters to you.

And I would add that, though it supports 4p, Troyes is at its best with 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes. I adore Concordia and have all of the expansions, but for me, Troyes is just on a whole other level. If I was in my big purge days of getting my collection down from 350+ to under 100 and had Concordia in one hand and Troyes in the other and had to get rid of one, while I'd certainly miss Concordia, it'd be no contest which one I kept. But as Rusty pointed out, you are asking in the Troyes forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Troyes is my nearly-everything. If it weren’t for Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, it would be the love of my life.

And I’m currently having a love affair with Lorenzo il Magnifico, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia and Troyes are both in my top ten, but I like Concordia better. Which is the better game? It's a toss-up for me. Troyes is not the best @ 2, so I'd probably keep Concordia if it came down to it. Also plays fine with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good & somehow difficult to compare. I cannot imagine my collection without any of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_windcaster wrote:
Concordia and Troyes are both in my top ten, but I like Concordia better. Which is the better game? It's a toss-up for me. Troyes is not the best @ 2, so I'd probably keep Concordia if it came down to it. Also plays fine with 5.

Oh see my wife and I love it as a 2p game. We think it lacks for nothing with just the two of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.