Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
That guy...
badge
This guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody!

So I SHOULD have gotten the game yesterday (damn you FedEx!) so in the mean time I'm back to reading the rules making plans etc. Now I have played the game before with a friend and something came up where we had to take back a check mark that was marked previously in pen.

Now I really like the idea of marking up the board and making the adventure my own, but I don't want to find myself in this kind of situation. So from your collective experiences, what am I safe to mark permanently i.e. Sharpie, and what should be left to pencil.

I'm already planning on using only pencil for the character sheets, but the other things I'm not so sure, any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencil for tracking gold, XP, checkmarks, gear, and reputation. Ultra fine Sharpie for tracking Perks, Levels, completed scenarios, looted chests, Party Achievements, and Prosperity.

Mild spoiler about permanence
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I believe it's possible to lose Prosperity, but if that comes up, I plan on adding an additional box to fill in later above the existing boxes for each lost Prosperity. Same for Party Achievements, but that's even easier: just a line through lost Party Achievements will do.

Envelope B
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Permanent marker for this.

Basically, pencil for stuff that you can gain and lose, marker for stuff that is permanent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Vis'a'Vis markers. They are wet erase and I checked that they do come off the board. As long as you don't have a spill there are no issues with losing the info. Wiping up a spill however would be a resetcry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use removable checkmark stickers if you don't want to mark up your board. I also got the removable sticker pack for all the other stuff so that I can always reset the campaign, or sell it in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Mostly pencils then sharpies for perks and other permanence, except for the stickers on the map, those little boxes are hardly functional from any distance so we use a big red sharpie and put an 'X' over the entire sticker. Looks way better.

Edit: Our map hangs on the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Fine Point Sharpie for Map Board, Rulebook & Scenario Book
Pencil for Character Sheets and Party Sheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the blood of my enemies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
No writing implements. We use a tablet that has the map and all info on the City and the Characters so that we do not need to mark anything as it is all kept by the app. It even keeps track of which missions are available or upcoming and shows how to set up the map with each room in gray until you open that room and can then see what to place in it.

Very helpful if you do not want to mark up your game even with removable stickers. Also you will not need extra character sheets as everything is on the app.

If you do not want to stick or mark anything up then pick up these two apps:
Gloomhaven scenario viewer and the Gloomhaven campaign tracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
I use removable checkmark stickers if you don't want to mark up your board. I also got the removable sticker pack for all the other stuff so that I can always reset the campaign, or sell it in the future.

Where did you get them? I've tried searching a bit but didn't have any luck.

Edit: By them I mean the removable checkmark stickers, I have the standard removable sticker pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Pencil for character and party sheets, fine-point sharpie for everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, it is possible to lose prosperity. I just drew an extra box on the map and filled it in when I earned the prosperity point back.

As far as I know, it is not possible to lose progress on Envelope B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Allen
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neemo wrote:
Black Fine Point Sharpie for Map Board, Rulebook & Scenario Book
Pencil for Character Sheets and Party Sheet

Same. I also have the set of removable stickers, which comes with a handy scenario tracker. I use a sharpie for that also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the art supply store and purchased some Pigma markers (05 size) in sepia. It's not insta-dry on the board, but we haven't had any smudging problems, and I like the brown ink.

Pencil would probably have been a better choice for tracking gold and XP on character sheets ... and party reputation, since that seems to come and go for us quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Montgomery
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put regular adhesive tape over the character XP, gold and party reputation boxes and use a dry-erase marker. It actually works well -- comes off without smudging if you use a tissue. And no pencil eraser fluff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Bacon
msg tools
I plan to re-set the game in several years to play with my kids when they're old enough, so I have and fully use the removable sticker kit.

For the player and party sheets, I laminated one of each.

For everything, I use fine point wet-erase markers.

Works very well thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.