HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King» Forums » Rules

Subject: Talisman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jochen Lienhard
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

can anybody give an example, how to use the talisman?
What is the affect? It can be used once, does this mean only one round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think for solo player using 1 hero is kind of useless . You got to use the item during combat from one hero so that other hero can hit the enemy in the fallen city. I was using two hero playing solo. The talisman is 1 time use and you only got 4 . 1 in each shrine.

So far I only encounter 2 shrine and buy 1 talisman. I can’t kill the enemy in the fallen city in 1 round . And the dead king has already down 5 city. ( I always roll the nearest city for the dead king selection ) so I kind of screw and going to face the dead king Soon without the power to kill him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi, Talismans are purchased as a one time use, but they are usable during the entire combat.

There are heroes who gain the ability to defend at the same time they use other abilities, and when you play with the 1-player rule variant, you may also defend at half rank while performing other actions.

So that being said, the City placard discusses how to use the Talisman:

"The Talisman must be used each round of combat to counteract the Dead King’s influence. You cannot harm his lieutenants unless it is used each round. Like other items, heroes may only use the Talisman while Defending.
You may also pass the Talisman to another hero in the same round you use it. This allows another person to use it next round."

That means if you're playing in a multi-hero game, the hero who Defends and uses the item can pass it on to another hero for next round.

Hope that helps clear it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Leuven
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you use it the entire combat (every round once) and after you win and free the city you will lose the talisman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Talismans are purchased as a one time use, but they are usable during the entire combat.

I think this rule got to be in the FAQ, no where I read the rule book refer to 1 talisman is usable during the entire combat.

So I can revive a max of 4 city since there are only 4 talismans.. Now that will be a different story then if it last the entire combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Vollebregt
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Should we interprete freeing a city as "Circumstance"? As in, if the Undead Lieutenants are defeated, can we buy stuff in the market with the spoils or do we need to camp first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You can have multiple event scenarios, in the rare case that happens. So yep, you can purchase immediately after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mariuccij wrote:
You can have multiple event scenarios, in the rare case that happens. So yep, you can purchase immediately after.

Regarding this. If I have a quest at the shrine , I can do the quest and shrine event in 1 turn?

Then can I complete the quest in the shrine and then return the quest at the shine at the same turn ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeppers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, just reading this thread and I'm still not 100% on the talisman use.

I enter a fallen city and engage in combat. I have 2 heroes - a Summoner and a Divine One.

Turn 1, my Summoner defends and uses the talisman while the Divine makes an attack (for example dealing 15 health damage.
Turn 2, can the Summoner defend and use the talisman again or must it be passed to the Divine One now to use? And if so, if the Lieutenant survives this round of combat, I cannot beat it?

Say a success is scored and the Lieutenant is defeated. This talisman is now discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Loos

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
Each round, the Talisman must be used if you wish to deal damage to the Fallen City. That means one hero who has the Talisman must use their Defend action (or use a mastery that also lets them use their Defend action). It doesn't matter if it's the same hero Defending and using it each round or if different heroes are using the Talisman as it gets passed around.

A helpful trick that Jonathan described is that using a defense action may also allow the hero to give an item to another hero. That means they can both use and give the Talisman to someone else, allowing the person who used the Talisman a chance to do something else next round and the person who receives it can Defend next round to use the Talisman.

Once combat is finished the Talisman is then used up and discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I suspected that was the case and played it that way last night, I just wasn't sure. Glad to hear I didn't get it wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Curto
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No spoilers but there might be more than four Talismans, I believe we got one from Syv (Boss 6?8?) and I haven't manually read all of the bosses/cards. Certainly if you fought her as your 'next boss' on a 9 roll in a ruins you'd get double rewards, resulting in two talismans so the game allows for more than just the shrine talismans. That boss is actually more reliable anyway, as finding all four shrines from exploring seems unlikely from my game experiences (that's a LOT of exploring or a lot of luck!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Theophilusophical wrote:
No spoilers but there might be more than four Talismans, I believe we got one from Syv (Boss 6?8?) and I haven't manually read all of the bosses/cards. Certainly if you fought her as your 'next boss' on a 9 roll in a ruins you'd get double rewards, resulting in two talismans so the game allows for more than just the shrine talismans. That boss is actually more reliable anyway, as finding all four shrines from exploring seems unlikely from my game experiences (that's a LOT of exploring or a lot of luck!).

WOAH, we've never fought Syv on a Ruin event (that I know of), but you're exactly right, you would receive 2 in that case. You just blew my mind! =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this post now - glad to find the answer!!

This is DEFINITELY a game concept that needs to be cleared up in an official FAQ or the 2nd Edition versions of the rulebooks/placards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.