Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bagley
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The SO prefers co op games so I thought I would give this a try.

Setup for a 4 player game with 2 automas

For the second card of the first turn and draw for each turn after:
Discard the card on the right.
Place the drawn card to the right of the card in play.
Take the first automa turn.
Move the card on the right to the other side of the card on the left.
Take the second automa turn.

Score as normal per player/automa rules. Compare combined scores.

Things I am uncertain so far:
Round Boosters for automa. First automa to finish will use the icon with 5 boosters to choose one. Second will take the booster based on arrow in the support card starting from where the first took it's booster.

Turn Order - Player starts first, but not sure if it should stagger or have both players go before automa.

Scoring might need tweaking.

# of automa cards - going to start with normal.

Any other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For scythe I made multiple automa decks before the app allowed multiple automa. I would consider making another deck. I only have 1 automa game of Gaia in but enjoyed it very much. Scythe works amazing as a co-op so I imagine this will as well. In scythe we add up each sides score and divide by number of players on each side. Highest average wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem I can see is running out of Automa cards, or at least not getting a good distribution of actions between the two Automa players (i.e. there are six cards that always start in the Automa deck, but you don't have two copies of those to make two decks). Maybe play one Automa, then at the end of the game average the two players' scores by adding them together and dividing by two? Or maybe even just take the lower of the two player's scores since conceivably you'll have the advantage of working together to get the planets you want and build to allow the other to charge power, etc. Not sure how much that'll sway the favor of the game, but something to test.

You could always proxy cards too, to create a second deck. A little extra work but might be a good solution.

Also be aware of end game bonuses-- again, maybe take the lesser of the two players or average their position on the track or total points gained for each bonus..?

And with more players you'll have more round boosters available-- after the initial pick you should have three in the pool at any given time so the cards should work as they normally do when the Automa passes.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and I think I understand how you're intending to use the Automa deck for two Automa, and it seems like it could work. Personally I think I would try either one Automa (to keep the game moving) or two Automa decks (so the two Automa play differently from each other) but either way I'm interested in how this goes-- I hope you'll post a report when you have a chance to give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are threats where people play against 2 or 3 automas or even play a 2 player game with an Automa and everything worked fine. So shouldn’t be a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bagley
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaGammer wrote:
For scythe I made multiple automa decks before the app allowed multiple automa. I would consider making another deck. I only have 1 automa game of Gaia in but enjoyed it very much. Scythe works amazing as a co-op so I imagine this will as well. In scythe we add up each sides score and divide by number of players on each side. Highest average wins.

I was considering printing multiple Automa decks, but it is much more satisfying to me to be able to utilize the components given, and cheaper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bagley
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumboliscious wrote:

EDIT: I just re-read your post and I think I understand how you're intending to use the Automa deck for two Automa, and it seems like it could work. Personally I think I would try either one Automa (to keep the game moving) or two Automa decks (so the two Automa play differently from each other) but either way I'm interested in how this goes-- I hope you'll post a report when you have a chance to give it a try!

One Automa might end up being better for time/game flow. I think we are going to try the two first (as is it feels less like 2 people ganging up on a third even though averaging our score makes it fair).

We will be playing tomorrow, I'll report back afterward!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just used some other game, where I got cards numbers from 1-17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bagley
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
There are threats where people play against 2 or 3 automas or even play a 2 player game with an Automa and everything worked fine. So shouldn’t be a problem

Thanks, that is great to hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onesiphorus wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

I was considering printing multiple Automa decks, but it is much more satisfying to me to be able to utilize the components given, and cheaper!

But it is now where as good of experience. The game was designed for one deck to control one automa. It gets diluted otherwise. Paper is cheap, solid color sleeve protectors are cheap. I think I made another scythe automa deck for pennies. I have everything laying around. Can't beat the game as intended when it only costs a couple cents. Even if you didn't have everything 5 bucks at most. Well worth it to actually simulate 2 Automa correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
JavaGammer wrote:
The game was designed for one deck to control one automa. It gets deluded otherwise.

"Diluted"

Not being a Grammar Nazi. I was just amused how the incorrect word completely changed the meaning.

Automa: Hahaha! Now I'm King of the Universe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bagley
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This worked well enough in the beginning, but there is a fatal flaw in that you will always know what the main action of the first Automa will end up being. While this didn't affect our game since we are just learning strategy, it will certainly create a greater advantage the more we play. Secondly, she conceded that the coop play really didn't matter. Even though we won, my score was higher so she still felt like second place. The admitted that she could have taken an action earlier that would have netted us as a team fewer points, it would have placed her ahead of me in the end. After this, I don't see an advantage of having more than one Automa for our purposes. And we'll leave the coop gaming to actual coop games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.