Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Conan Core Game Box Cover Art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quoc Diep
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but laugh to myself when I thought about it, but the cover art for the core box depicts Conan fighting off a necromancer and a horde of skeletons (which is amazing by the way), yet you don't get to do any of that in the core game. Does anyone with the King's pledge and the campaign book 'The Legend of the Devil in Iron' know how many scenarios are available where you actually get to fight necromancers and skeletons? I didn't see any in the more recent 'Book of Set' with most of the scenarios available on Monolith's web page. Again, just a silly thought I needed scratched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Conan core game box cover art
You raise an interesting point I suppose, but I won't be asking for my money back because...

...it's also a good opportunity for scenario design! Monolith could run a contest asking fans to submit scenarios that correspond with the box cover artwork. Best submission gets published as an 'official scenario' available for free download. Or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The back side of the KS box depicts warriors riding around on some rhino-like beasts, also nowhere to be found on this game:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sEg6Z11hKV6N8hg2

Not a single picture of the minis. A baffling graphic design decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee M
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I assumed the necromancer was simply representative of the 'overlord' player and the skele's a mass of minions being controlled by said overlord. Also didn't a lot of the art come from Funcom's Age of Conan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
The back side of the KS box depicts warriors riding around on some rhino-like beasts, also nowhere to be found on this game:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sEg6Z11hKV6N8hg2

Not a single picture of the minis. A baffling graphic design decision.

From what I heard, Adrian Smith offered a discount on the price for the box illustration in exchange for carte blanche in what scene would be depicted. I agree it is baffling and perhaps it reflects Monolith's reluctance to sell Conan in retail stores (reluctance proved right but it does not change these strange artistic choices).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Lee

Ohio
msg tools
An underground crypt/temple like the one on the box cover would have made a beautiful map. I feel like that's one thing they missed, most of the maps seem far from iconic in their theme and design.

I don't have a problem with incredible pieces of art showing off the world beyond what's directly playable in the board game, but they definitely dropped the ball on representing all their content in scenarios. Probably speaks to why such a narrow scenario system is a bad idea in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the one in the Stygia expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You get skellies in the KSE box, but, yeah, I'd like to know which scenarios have 'em because they were easy to paint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Lee

Ohio
msg tools
Footballzs wrote:
Like the one in the Stygia expansion?

Yeah, were you really satisfied with that one? I was kind of surprised at how ugly/uninspired it was, just some tunnels. Exactly what I mean by not iconic. Why not a great burial chamber, like some expensive set piece out of a movie. A few dirty tunnels were not exactly what I was imagining when I read Hour of the Dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.