Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Evidence card and Roland Banks, is it really that useful ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got through The Devourer Below with an 'R1 - investigators win' result, yay !

So moving on to the Dunwich Legacy and I'm planning to build a new Roland deck tonight for that campaign. (Have one core, DL Expansion and Miskatonic Mythos pack)

I've seen a few deck lists, they all seem to include the 'Evidence' card.
The evidence card just duplicates Roland's special ability doesn't it ?

So it's only useful if you have an enemy engaged and there are two or more clues on a location. Is it really useful to include over another card ?

HHmm I guess it does have two intellect icons so doubles up if you need to investigate... Might have answered my own question there ....

No one seems to include Physical Training or Hyperawareness either... Too costly in terms of resources ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in Solo, two Clues at one Location happens a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The meta right now is highly focused on action compression and minimizing token draw, since that's what typically gets you the most bang for your buck on Hard and Expert. In terms of Evidence!, the card saves you an action and a token draw, which is why it's popular. You're right in that it only applies when there is a monster and two clues at the location, but that's not terribly uncommon, especially in multiplayer, and in a pinch the double Intelligence icons can also be very helpful.

Conversely, Physical Training and Hyperawareness have the opposite problem, you need to get it into your hand, you need to play it, and then it's a resource sink. One thing with Guardian classes is that they don't have many resources to go around so it's difficult to justify the cost in terms of both resources and actions. It's just not terribly efficient.

That said, can you build a deck without Evidence! or including PT or Hyperawareness? Absolutely. In fact Evidence! right now seems to be falling out of favor in the meta because Roland's good enough at picking up clues, especially with his ability (and it seems more in vogue to use the Seeker extra movement cards, which are super useful in a wider variety of situations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth noting that Roland needs copies of Evidence in his deck more than most investigators due to his signature weakness. Cover Up can be really nasty to get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, good point !

Actually, I know you cannot discover two clues on a location that only has one.

But if cover up was in play with three clues on it, and roland was at a location with one clue. If you kill an enemy at that location can you use evidence to clear two clues from cover up ? Looking at the wording I'm thinking no...

Edit. Seems my last post vanished ? Must have hit preview, then shut down...whoops ! .. thanks for the replies, I'm playing solo. And was thinking of including shortcut, which I think aligns with seeker comment above !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:
Ah yes, good point !

Actually, I know you cannot discover two clues on a location that only has one.

But if cover up was in play with three clues on it, and roland was at a location with one clue. If you kill an enemy at that location can you use evidence to clear two clues from cover up ? Looking at the wording I'm thinking no...

Edit. Seems my last post vanished ? Must have hit preview, then shut down...whoops ! .. thanks for the replies, I'm playing solo. And was thinking of including shortcut, which I think aligns with seeker comment above !

If Roland is at a location with at least one clue on it I'm pretty sure you could trigger his ability and an Evidence (or 2 even!) to clear off multiple clues from Cover Up all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evidence wouldn't stack with SFAQL* against one Enemy in a Location with One Clue, but it could let Roland use that Clue for Cover Up twice if you defeat two Enemies there in one round.

*Roland's Ability, of course - Shoot First, Ask Questions Later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
I think Evidence! is still a must for Roland in multiplayer. A resource and a card for a clue is a wonderful deal, and it's really easy to trigger in multiplayer. Locations naturally have multiple clues on them, and as Roland you wanted to be killing monsters on these locations anyway. It's such an excellent bargain that it's often worthwhile to take an attack of opportunity (put Roland's high health to use!) to get to a good location to play it. (You can also use Shortcut for this.) Evidence!'s excellent icons are a nice bonus. Working a Hunch is probably better because of its reliability but in a multiplayer Roland deck I would very likely run both.

In solo it's a little more questionable. There are less monsters to kill and less multi-clue locations. I think it's still very playable; the event is excellent whenever you can trigger it, almost every scenario has a multiclue location (I believe there is only one that doesn't), and it's still got those stellar icons. But it's not an auto-include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah I'm playing solo, I went for 2 copies of Art Student instead of Evidence for the sanity shield...Using Art Students as fodder... devil

Cleared the Essex County Express last night... Dunwich missions are sooo much better than Night of the Zealot. Love it !

But my question, you mentioned shortcut, I had 2 of those in my starter deck too, I watched an atlas agency video and he mentioned that it does not trigger an attack of opportunity if you use it when engaged with an enemy ?
I thought it would like any other move ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
SuperJoeUK wrote:

Yeah I'm playing solo, I went for 2 copies of Art Student instead of Evidence for the sanity shield...Using Art Students as fodder... devil

Cleared the Essex County Express last night... Dunwich missions are sooo much better than Night of the Zealot. Love it !

But my question, you mentioned shortcut, I had 2 of those in my starter deck too, I watched an atlas agency video and he mentioned that it does not trigger an attack of opportunity if you use it when engaged with an enemy ?
I thought it would like any other move ?

Art Student is a great include for Roland, for sure. Test-free clue + 2 horror soak for 2 resources rocks.

And yeah, no attack of opportunity for moving with Shortcut, since it's a Fast event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cheers for confirming !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaiusDrewart wrote:
And yeah, no attack of opportunity for moving with Shortcut, since it's a Fast event.

N.B. Enemies in your threat area do remain in your threat area, since Shortcut says nothing about disengaging or exhausting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.