13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: BFGcon — Frederick, MD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli White
msg tools
mbmbmb
(Just realized I never posted this here!)

BFGcon is going to be Frederick’s first annual gaming convention. It will focus on board games, roleplaying games (RPGs), Magic the Gathering and other geeky pursuits. Three full days of an immersive gaming experience in a unique setting! Marked with concerts, tournaments, open gaming, vendors, and game auctions. It’s an event that you won’t want to miss!

Not only that, but we are hosting the official Maryland State 2018 Championships for quite a number of board games!

Check out the event site: https://www.bfgcon.com/
The schedule: https://www.bfgcon.com/timetable/
And here's info on the tournaments: https://www.bfgcon.com/win/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BFGcon — Frederick, MD March 23-25, 2018
BFGcon — Frederick, MD March 23-25, 2018
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I will just miss it as I am getting to Rockville after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marimacc .
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely would be interested, but it's the same weekend as Unpub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
marimacc wrote:

Speaking of that, does anyone know if the March 6th foreclosure auction of the Hunt Valley Inn will be a problem for Unpub? I suppose a new owner might want the business, but the separate auction of the furnishings has me wondering.

And a question about BFGcon - what makes the tournaments official Maryland State 2018 Championships? Is there a governing body I'm not aware of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

Yes, a very unfortunate timing situation. We'd checked the dates of previous Unpub's and in 2016 it was in April, and in 2017 it was St. Patrick's Day weekend (the weekend before us). We, therefore, planned to be the weekend after that ... signed contracts moved forward, and by the time we announced our dates, suddenly Unpub had announced they were on the same date.

We hope/plan on working with Unpub next year to ensure that we don't conflict, and hopefully can cross-promote.

(We also are both conflicting with the Dr. Who convention in Baltimore)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli White
msg tools
mbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

And a question about BFGcon - what makes the tournaments official Maryland State 2018 Championships? Is there a governing body I'm not aware of?

Yes, there is (essentially, it's the publishers themselves). The publishers of all of these games all work together under a unified promotional system that coordinates events at various conventions around the USA.

Through the program, these championships are arranged and are organized into Regions.

Anyone who wins the Maryland State Championships will receive a free ticket to DEXCON 2018 (in New Jersey) and will have a seat at the Northeast Regional Championships that take place there, pitting all the state champion winners against each other.

Winners at the regional competitions will win a free ticket to GenCon, to compete in the National Championships there.

All sanctioned by each respective publisher (with other prizes/trophies provided!)

Sorry it took me a while to reply, been swamped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Void
United States
Shepherdstown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on going, I already have a ticket, but transportation maybe a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I live near the Shady Grove Metro Station and will be going by the station on my way to/from the con on Saturday. If anyone needs a ride, PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the expected attendance looking like for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
What's the expected attendance looking like for this?

It's the inaugural, and in a different format and location than other cons in the general area, so predictions are tough. It's not my con, but I do know something about local boardgamers, and which of my boardgaming circle will be attending, so I could extrapolate to a wild guess that there will be 150 distinct board gamers, plus completely unknown (to me) numbers of RPG, mini, and Magic gamers.

In any case, there should be enough boardgamers to make boardgamers happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli White
msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, we ended up with 455 total attendees, about 140 of which played RPGs and maybe a dozen-20 playing MtG ... So we had a solid 250-300 playing board games over the weekend. We were blown away and now already making bigger plans for next year!

Eli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xixstar .
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
EliCrossbow wrote:
FWIW, we ended up with 455 total attendees, about 140 of which played RPGs and maybe a dozen-20 playing MtG ... So we had a solid 250-300 playing board games over the weekend. We were blown away and now already making bigger plans for next year!

Eli

My friends and I really enjoyed the event and think yall did a great job. We look forward to attending again next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.