13 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Favorite action card/story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is everyone's favorite action card?

Mine is courageous to the end (after your ship is destroyed, roll twice for its combat and opponent loses a ship for each hit). I once lost a dreadnought on purpose so I could use it to destroy a war sun, they were salty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabotage is the most useful generally. I like Direct Hit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I can pick a Favorite, but there are a few I really like. Sabotage and Direct Hit are obvious picks, but one I like a lot is Experimental Battlestations. Nothing like having a player swoop into a system thinking they are safe and then get whammed with 3 extra PDS hits. Obviously it's situational, but when they don't bring in enough to account for it (often in a system that has minimal PDS coverage anyway), it can really change the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Public disgrace is really good when someone takes a SC that you need to win the game - or to prevent someone from capitalizing on taking MR and getting the Imperial card the next round.

Quote:
After a player to chooses a strategy card, force him to choose a different one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
Public disgrace is really good when someone takes a SC that you need to win the game - or to prevent someone from capitalizing on taking MR and getting the Imperial card the next round.

Quote:

I won my first game ever this way. Speaker was to my right and took imperial so I stopped him and got it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Beltrami
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
"Experimental Battlestation" is my current favorite. I recently played a game in which I took over the Yin's home system, built a space dock there, and fired three shots from Darien, through my flagship (the Hil Colish), and into Creuss in order to bring down a menacing War Sun. That felt nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was Arborec, I got "Rise of the Messiah" which felt pretty broken. I got it the first round of the game and waited until I took my 6th non home planet to activate it. I was very happy that Sabotage had been played a turn earlier to cancel someone's direct hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark hatton
msg tools
Is there a place online that lists all the TI4 Action Cards? I would like a better handle on what is out there, before I play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
When I was Arborec, I got "Rise of the Messiah" which felt pretty broken. I got it the first round of the game and waited until I took my 6th non home planet to activate it. I was very happy that Sabotage had been played a turn earlier to cancel someone's direct hit.

You do realize there are 4 Sabotage cards, though, right? So just because one is played doesn't mean you are clear and free

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotspur18 wrote:
Is there a place online that lists all the TI4 Action Cards? I would like a better handle on what is out there, before I play again.

I use Evernoob's sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y_av0_M5Cyz8viBIMOqD...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Cerny
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Rise of the Messiah, Courageous to the end, Ghost ship, Reactor meltdown, Unstable planet - those are all cards which might not be the most powerful, but when you play it - or anyone else play it - you just picture the epic event, the short cutscene behind your eyes. Pure fluff, love it cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Frödin
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:

Quote:

Ugh, the action cards affecting the strategy cards are the only one I'm considering to play without (only when Hacan is in the game to maybe balance their Quantum Datanode thingymajing!). It just feels like a weird and overly swingy thing..

Otherwise I really like confusing legal text (just for the fluff, very situational) and salvage for some sweet TG's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W G
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
I‘m not really a sentient polar bear.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Agenda Rider cards; they make voting a bit more interesting and are in fact all too common in real life, too; so that is a nice thing.

Apart from that, "Flank Speed", due to (i) a fluff text that features Saar, and (ii) the options it opens on the gaming table.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that even Action Cards that have multiple copies in the game are NOT straightforward copies of each other, but that they feature different fluff texts that, taken together, form a little story? That is only one of the reasons this game looks so well thought out and designed for me. This attention to detail makes the game such an awesome creation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.