BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: game that uses navigation skills for an 8 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I just discovered ricochet robots and mutant meeples.

And I wondered if Ricochet with an easy board might be a game my kiddo would like.

My kiddo will not play memory games which I assume means he is not good at it. When he was 6 remembering a sequence of 4 colored pegs was his limit.

Recently, when I told him a phone number he could not remember it.
But when I put a number of blocks corresponding to each digit, with each digit in a sequence way apart around the room, he remembered the phone number immediately and retained it. I was amazed.

This summer, when we were in a new town, he could tell when we had been in a particular spot before. Coming back from a friend's house across town, he was able to direct me to my house even though he has only been to play with this friend maybe 3 times this year. So next, I showed him a map, and after looking at it a few instants he was able to direct me to our target 10mn later.

We played Labyrinth and I thought he was surprisingly good at it.

Are there board games that might use navigational skills?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
both robots and meeples are cool games. It really depends on if your son likes straight up puzzles or some kind of... not really theme but have pieces be different in some way. If he likes chess over checkers I think Mutant Meeples is better if he likes Chess (as all pieces move differently)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba maybe? Or Elfenland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, I was thinking of starting with ricochet and then trying mutant.

One of the game he likes is Animal Jungle life size with his stuffies. It is a kind of Chinese Chess game where each animal has a different strength and can move differently on land, in and over water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Look for some spacial awareness games. Some of these might be a bit outside of your 8 year olds reach, but here are some my 11 year old can play well (he has strong spacial awareness) and my 8 year old can participate.

- RoboRally
- Ticket to Ride
- Tsuro
- Forbidden Island
- Neuroshima Hex!
- Chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Maybe look into some of the ThinkFun games. They're great for that age group and building critical thinking. Be sure to check the age range for their games and watch the videos on Amazon to see if they'll be right for your purposes.

Gravity Maze Marble Run is 3D navigation logic:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IUAAK2A/?tag=article-boardgam...

Roller Coaster Challenge Logic Game:
https://smile.amazon.com/Roller-Coaster-Challenge-Logic-Buil...

Laser Chess:
https://smile.amazon.com/ThinkFun-Laser-Fun-Player-Strategy/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, thank you, Karuba might work well. He used to play race to the treasure when he was younger and he enjoyed it. And we have had good luck with Haba games.

Thank you, I think Elfenland robotrally and neuroshima hex are too complex for us. I have Tsuro lined up for a bit later.

He took one look at ticket to ride first journey and did not want to play it. We will try again this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago de Arana
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In Onitama you mainly get a card telling how your tiles move as in a map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Waoh!

Onitama

I am intrigued. It would be fun to try this game with an adult first. He has expressed a little bit of interest in this kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, I love the thinkFun games. We have played the thinkfun game river crossing. and he could do it. I want to bring it out again soon.

He likes games with an emotional purpose like flashpoint or monza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to say Akrotiri because it's got a great treasure hunt mechanic which is quite distinctive, but I think it might be a bit heavy for an eight year old. Maybe one for a couple of years from now though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally
Scotland Yard is hidden movement navigation.
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends uses spacial reasoning though not navigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thank you, I agree that Akrotiri might not be for us just yet, but like with Tsuro, I am intrigued, some logic and some
visual map reading. Would he like that!? Something to try. Thank you for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thank you,

A friend just bought Scotland yard, so I will get to try it. but the other two games are two advanced for us. The other two games, Robo Rally and Tash Kalar are probably a bit to complex for both of us right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe check out the 10 Days in... series of games!

Also:

Africana
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space
Colt Express
How to Rob a Bank
Relic Runners
Saboteur (or Saboteur: The Duel)
Expedition: Famous Explorers
Ninja Camp
Battle Sheep
Martinique
The Quest for El Dorado
Sanssouci
Spike
Enigma
Fluxx: The Board Game
Eruption
Pioneers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really help with a game for navigational skills but I do have the exact same problem as your little one so thought could give you a few tips that might help lol! I can also direct anyone from vague memory back to somewhere even if I wasn't taking much attention - I just need to have been looking and good with location too. You putting the blocks around the room would have helped me too as meant I could add a visual aspect to it.

I can't remember any number sequences or code sequences no matter how short (although I'm very good with patterns in numbers and finding out where the errors might be in accounting or similar etc). I avoid games with non-intuitive huge amounts of codes/symbols on spots or cards - unless they have a pic under them or with them. So somewhere to pick up wood plus this and that for instance with weird non-relating symbols - not going to work with me, spaces with a pic of a log plus a pic of whatever else - fine. Point salad games with multiple scoring tracks of this type are not good for me. Love anything with spatial aspect on a board.

Rarely can remember dates too and I'm naff with telephone numbers these days as was fine when I could remember the pattern of how you input them on the old standard telephone keypad but this doesn't really happen these days so can't recall anyone's number who haven't stayed the same for the past 20 years. Same as any pin numbers or passwords - I always make sure have a laptop with the full number bit at the side, If I get stuck needing to remember them elsewhere, I draw out a number keypad onto paper lol.

Basically as long as I convert it into a visual way, I can remember anything necessary for exams etc. So I can make any number sequence I need to remember into a story with pictures in my head and will be able to recall it. For more complicated things like equations, I literally draw then into some form of animal picture or similar lol!!!

In any other aspect, my memory is clearer than most - there are ways around it and most games do not need this type of memory so many to pick from.

Does your son mind competition or conflict? I shall have a think of what might suit him based on my requirements at that age and my 7 year olds current fav games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, What I need is 10 days in France! so he can come with me in his imagination since I grew up there. But I will look at the 10 day series.

I will also look into Colt express and Eruption. Eruption looks like Quoridor which we have played a few times, but with a much more meaningful theme. Colt express looks close to pretend play, very visual. He may like that!

Edit: Thank you for How to Rob a Bank it looks like it would be fun, very visual and realistic, it reminds me of flashpoing in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robots is a great game for kids. I usually play cooperatively with my kids, however. It is also a favorite of mine from my own childhood as well. I was probably a preteen, but my sister was quite young and could beat all of us at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Indigo is next-level Tsuro, but not much more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
SaggyUK wrote:
I do have the exact same problem as your little one so thought could give you a few tips that might help ... Basically as long as I convert it into a visual way, I can remember

Waoh, thank you for responding to my post. It sounds indeed like you share a spacial/special way of remembering.

Quote:
I avoid games with non-intuitive huge amounts of codes/symbols on spots or cards

Yes, same here, I don't want games with a lot of cards with codes and symbols because I think he is still needs practice processing at a visual level.

Quote:
I'm very good with patterns

Surprisingly, it took him a long time to master the visual patterns of soken Zocken and to be able to do simple 4 piece puzzles. He did not get "Rivers, Roads And Rails" at all, he would place tiles which obviously - to me - did not go together. At which point I got rid of most of our puzzles. The way I understand his being visual without being able to do visual patterns is that he has "high definition" vision, so patterns may not jump out to him as they do to us.

-----------

I have been looking for a pattern in the games he likes and what I got was simple visual games where he has all the information visually and spatially. ahoy treasures, pen and paper battleship, Animal jungle, viva topo, monza, Der_schwarze_Pirat

Quote:
Does your son mind competition or conflict? I shall have a think of what might suit him based on my requirements at that age and my 7 year olds current fav games

Yes, he is just learning to lose and be ok with it. I can give him a head start so he has a good chance to win, or in monza he can move his car ahead if it is too far behind. In King of Tokyo he did not like the idea of my monsters punching his, so I am working on a more visual retheme based on (terror in meeple city), with monsters competing to destroy Tokyo. In ahoy treasures he was fine with his pirates blocking mine and to some degree vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Waoh, thank you for Indigo, it is the game I was wishing for, a game like Tsuro, but without pushing each other off the board to win. Yes, I may be able to try Indigo right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago de Arana
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
anne001 wrote:
Waoh, thank you for Indigo, it is the game I was wishing for, a game like Tsuro, but without pushing each other off the board to win. Yes, I may be able to try Indigo right now.

You also have tsuro of the seas, I think being less abstract works better with kids.

I love akrotiri but it is a hard game. Even with if it is just playing with the easy maps, it is complicated to lay the tiles so the islands connect the way you want. I'd put it in a wishlist and if it suddenly comes really cheap then keep it for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, I thought that even though it says 12, we could play akrotiri together as a coop puzzle. I put it into camel camel so I will know if the price drops on amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe some to look at..

Avenue or the easier to find retheme Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama
Doodle Quest or Loony Quest
The Magic Labyrinth : a hidden maze game, could help develop memory skills.
possibly Kingdom Builder or Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Waoh, Thank you for Doodle Quest My kiddo does not draw, he can't get his hand to draw the shape he has in his mind and gets frustrated. But some of the tasks here are not drawing but hitting a target on the board and I wonder if with a little practice he might be really good at this.

I think Karuba might be similar to Kokoro and easier to understand. The other games look a bit complicated.

There are so many games out there I have not stumbled upon yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.