Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat: I understand that the BGG ranking system has perceptions of flaws but I also think it's probably the best system we have of gauging most popular & "fun" games to play. In the lack of a perfect system, this will have to do to present this.

Analysis of top 100 by year:
Was 2013 a bad year for good games and will 2017 turn out be known as that?
2012 - 12 games in top 100
2013 - 5 games
2014 - 13 games
2015 - 13 games
2016 - 13 games
2017 - 8 games (this might be an anomaly so early into 2018 and games may move up as we move further into 2018.

80% of top 10 games are 2015, 2016, 2017 games.
84% of top 25 games are 2011 to present.
81% of top 100 games are 2008 to present. This is interesting since 2008 was a particular strong year with 6 games in the top 100 but only 2 and 3 in 2009 and 2010, respectively.

What does this tell us:
I'm not sure, hoping that discussion will mete out conclusions other than "BGG rankings are bad."

Why post this:
I'm interested in analytics and noticed a big drop between Gloomhaven's ranking and the next highest 2017 game (Gaia Project at 35). I think that Charterstone, Lisboa, Codenames Duet, and Clank In Space will probably move up into the top 100 by year's end. This would make 2017 more in line with previous years and leave 2013 as a definite "down" year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I definitely don't think that 2017 was a down year, and I think that the "numbers" will bear that out over time. It's much too early to make any judgments on 2017, given the way BGG does its rankings. Many of the popular 2017 games will continue to rise in the rankings and it may end up being one of the better years of recent memory. Not every game can shoot up the rankings as fast as Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War. Also maybe a Fallout "L" token.
mbmbmbmbmb
there's no such thing as a "bad year" for the Cult of the New. It's the Cult of the New, not the Cult of the Good or the Cult of the Lasting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to parse out if BGG rankings mean anything beyond fanboy enthusiasm. Gaia Project is a reimplementation of a game everyone already owns. Gloomhaven is the second coming of Jesus and since you'll never get a review from folks who don't have a vested interest in losing their collective shit, getting an accurate read will be tough. Both games are, in many ways, outliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your BGG statistics reinforce my belief that they are less dependable than a 3 legged donkey pulling a square wheeled cart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
Caveat: I understand that the BGG ranking system has perceptions of flaws but I also think it's probably the best system we have of gauging most popular & "fun" games to play. In the lack of a perfect system, this will have to do to present this.

Analysis of top 100 by year:
Was 2013 a bad year for good games and will 2017 turn out be known as that?
2012 - 12 games in top 100
2013 - 5 games
2014 - 13 games
2015 - 13 games
2016 - 13 games
2017 - 8 games (this might be an anomaly so early into 2018 and games may move up as we move further into 2018.

80% of top 10 games are 2015, 2016, 2017 games.
84% of top 25 games are 2011 to present.
81% of top 100 games are 2008 to present. This is interesting since 2008 was a particular strong year with 6 games in the top 100 but only 2 and 3 in 2009 and 2010, respectively.

What does this tell us:
I'm not sure, hoping that discussion will mete out conclusions other than "BGG rankings are bad."

Why post this:
I'm interested in analytics and noticed a big drop between Gloomhaven's ranking and the next highest 2017 game (Gaia Project at 35). I think that Charterstone, Lisboa, Codenames Duet, and Clank In Space will probably move up into the top 100 by year's end. This would make 2017 more in line with previous years and leave 2013 as a definite "down" year.

The top 10/100/1000 represents an ever dimishing percentage of games, because of the sheer volume of games published.

I wonder what the statistics would look like if you took, starting from, say, 2008, the top 5 percent of ranked games in the databse and did a year published breakdown for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Good morning, Mr Phelps.

The numbers you are looking at represent nearly two decades' worth of random internet nobodies rating board games for whatever the hell they please on the website boardgamegeek.com. In doing so, helped along by a shady algorithm designed to compute 'a rank', they created a veritable source of heated discussions and fanboism, plus an important source of fake marketing information for budding designers.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to bring all those rates in line with an objective quality measure and create
the definitive ranking standard for all boardgaming aficionados to use and enjoy. You will face stern opposition from hordes of anonymous rabid gamers, hell-bent on rooting for their game.

As always, should any of your IM force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This USB-stick will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim.

Jim pondered for a bit, losing himself in the little billowing clouds of burnt electronics.

Might give this one a miss, he mumbled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:

What does this tell us:

Why post this:

I would largely agree with your conclusions--2013 looks to be a down year. There are less games from that year that seem to have the massive popularity or "quality" that causes a game to fare well in BGG rankings. There were still plenty of interesting titles, but even just looking through my collection 2013 is a bit of a down year compared to the last decade or so.

I also agree that I think 2017 will rise to be more in line with other recent years. It takes some games awhile to climb up the rankings, and I think you're correct that some will find their way up. Heck some pretty old games continue to climb the rankings without heating their peak all these years later. (Namely Castles of Burgundy and Concordia seem immune to the usual quick peak slow fall most games take through the rankings).

Still it may not quite hit the 12+ mark other recent years have, but I wouldn't worry too much about minor variations. Even at 8 already just a few more makes it pretty similar to other recent years.

Finally, the only other conclusion I have to offer is one that I've held for awhile and have thought about trying to real dig up some data and make a post on....but all your numbers continue to make me think whatever we mean by "Cult of the New" is certainly not a new phenomenon, but has always been present on BGG. Games that were recently released tend to quickly shoot up the rankings, and then slowly fall down them over time. The top 100 has always and will continue to be filled with predominantly recently released games. All those games that shoot up the charts tend to stay there and get "validated" over time by additional voters. When people complain about new games shooting up due to kickstarter love, ratings inflation, or whatever reasons they come up with, they're ultimately just kidding themselves. Those games in a decade from now will continue to get tons of voters and more or less follow the same trajectory as games before them. The way we view Agricola today is how Gloomhaven will be in the future. Scythe like Puerto Rico. Star Wars Rebellion like 7 Wonders. The story of the top 100 has always been the same. Games quickly rise up the ranks, peak, and then over the coming years it will slowly fall.

While the Cult of the New is often vilified around here (heck the most thumbed comment thus far is essentially stating the cult of the new isn't picking games that are good or lasting), but I believe they do exactly that--the games that quickly shoot up the ranks are indeed the games that will be best remembered from those years and the games most likely to get discussed and played a decade down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Analytics
Interesting concept
You mention that you’re interested in analytics, so I thought I’d chip in. The concept you’re talking about where games change in rank from the year they are introduced is essentially that of development. Actuaries specialize in that kind of data analysis. I’m not sure if anyone has ever tried to create development triangles for board game ratings - could be a fun project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
Finally, the only other conclusion I have to offer is one that I've held for awhile and have thought about trying to real dig up some data and make a post on....but all your numbers continue to make me think whatever we mean by "Cult of the New" is certainly not a new phenomenon, but has always been present on BGG.

Yes, I wish I had data from this date every year going back to 2008. I do plan on looking at it again in 1 year and then every year thereafter to see if the same conclusions can be made - namely that the top 100 shows a fairly equal distribution of games over the last 5 or 6 years except where there is a down year and accounting for the fact that the previous year's games have less ratings and are thus lower in the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
Ranior wrote:
Finally, the only other conclusion I have to offer is one that I've held for awhile and have thought about trying to real dig up some data and make a post on....but all your numbers continue to make me think whatever we mean by "Cult of the New" is certainly not a new phenomenon, but has always been present on BGG.

Yes, I wish I had data from this date every year going back to 2008. I do plan on looking at it again in 1 year and then every year thereafter to see if the same conclusions can be made - namely that the top 100 shows a fairly equal distribution of games over the last 5 or 6 years except where there is a down year and accounting for the fact that the previous year's games have less ratings and are thus lower in the list.

This thread may be interesting to you:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1775401/cult-new-increasing

To me that median data presented essentially shows that whatever we mean by Cult of the New....it's always been a part of this site. The Top 100 has always been dominated by relatively new games.

My time spent here also suggests the same. Whenever a game starts to quickly shoot up cries of Cult of the New go up. But give it a few years, and then it's just another stalwart of the Top 100 that is unjustly being pushed down by new games. After all how dare Gloomhaven be rated above Agricola--even though detractors undoubtedly said the same things when Agricola was shooting up the rankings.

I'd love to continue to do more analysis on this Cult of the New concept though. I just haven't had the time, skills, or database to do everything I'd like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how many of the kickstarter ads on this site are just a drawing and a name (and often not even the latter) I doubt that quality is what drives the Cult.

Pete (thinks they're just after shinies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Considering how many of the kickstarter ads on this site are just a drawing and a name (and often not even the latter) I doubt that quality is what drives the Cult.

Oh, I by no means think that all games in a year are better than others or are cult of the new. There's an increasing number of games released each year and the quality of the worst is probably declining rather than improving.

I think my original post should have been more of a question that it was:
Are the BEST games of 2013 worse than the BEST games of the subsequent years (and the year prior)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Oh, I by no means think that all games in a year are better than others or are cult of the new. There's an increasing number of games released each year and the quality of the worst is probably declining rather than improving.

I think my original post should have been more of a question that it was:
Are the BEST games of 2013 worse than the BEST games of the subsequent years (and the year prior)?
Fair question.

On some level I'd say it doesn't matter. "Best" is very subjective and requires analysis of a myriad of things that may or may not matter to each player. Art, minis, tension, socialization, and so on... all go into games. For me, "best" and "favorite" hold little value.

The question for me is, are the games being released each year interesting? Do they offer new spaces to explore that were not present last year? Are there new creations and mechanisms, or are we falling into the rut of constant retreads and marginal improvements to established tropes (where the video game industry now largely resides)?

My answer: Games are still innovative. Last year's games offered me new opportunities over the year before.

Pete (is happy with that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shouldn't we open this to the Top 1000? I'd be more interested in those numbers.

*wink**wink**nudge**nudge*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Langalore wrote:

First, there's data showing that the number of games from a year in the top 100 peaks two years later. There's a significant jump the following year and maybe 1-2 that make it the year after that. A lot has to do with the rating system rewarding a game for having lots of high ratings and it takes a while to get those. So don't give up on 2017 just yet

But to address your point above, I think we do have a better measure of "popular and fun games to play" and that is number of people who have played the game in the last month or year. Like the rankings, it obviously has bias - in particular it isn't good for comparing newer games to older - but I think it has more information that just rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue with Cult-of-the-New isn't related to the rankings.
My issue with CotN is it makes it extremely difficult to get existing games to the table when everyone is going, "Ooh, New! Let's play it!"

Unlike Pete, I'm not finding much in a lot of the hot new games to entice me to want to learn them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I’m not a fan of BGG ranking, but Deriding the top 100 for being a product of Cult of the New is like deriding it for being a product of boardgame fans. Cult of the New is an intrinsic feature to the ranking process.

I expect the number of 2017 games in the top 100 will rise.

I can’t say if 2013 was a bad or good year. All I can say is it was a “5 games in the top 100” year while 2012 was a “12 games in the top 100” year. Personally, 2012 was the end of the golden age but I don’t care about how many games come out each new year that can be in the top 100, just whether one game comes out each year that I would rate a 10. Just that, and it’s an awesome year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranking factors in both average rating and number of ratings. New games, especially new games with limited availability, take a while to "settle up" to where they're going to live. Spirit Island came out in 2017, and is currently at #112 overall. It has a higher average rating than 6 of the top 10 games, but it has less than a fifth of the ratings that even the least-frequently-rated top 10 games like Gloomhaven or Through the Ages have.

That's for sure a top 100 game, it's just going to take a little time for it to accrue enough ratings for the algorithm to trust its data enough to put it higher in the rankings.

I'm sure there are others, that's just the one I noticed because I happen to really love that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
there's no such thing as a "bad year" for the Cult of the New. It's the Cult of the New, not the Cult of the Good or the Cult of the Lasting.

Well, old years are bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have data-mining the BGG ratings as a sub-hobby. The years below are followed by a number, telling how many significant games were produced this year, using a h-index method. You can see that 2018 has one game at the moment, and 2015 and 2014 has 13.
2018: 1: Rising Sun [6.97935][1][2.3805]
2017: 10: Gloomhaven [8.58068][1][50.4204], Gaia Project [7.76931][2][26.0793], The 7th Continent [7.74123][3][25.2369], Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 [7.70645][4][24.1935], Clans of Caledonia [7.55125][5][19.5375], Azul [7.49887][6][17.9661], Anachrony [7.47737][7][17.3211], Spirit Island [7.39628][8][14.8884], Charterstone [7.38208][9][14.4624], Codenames Duet [7.29606][10][11.8818]
2016: 12: Terraforming Mars [8.18316][1][38.4948], Star Wars: Rebellion [8.16972][2][38.0916], Scythe [8.10162][3][36.0486], Great Western Trail [8.01565][4][33.4695], Arkham Horror: The Card Game [7.90246][5][30.0738], Mechs vs. Minions [7.87882][6][29.3646], A Feast for Odin [7.80641][7][27.1923], Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure [7.63576][8][22.0728], Pandemic Iberia [7.44796][9][16.4388], Captain Sonar [7.44455][10][16.3365], Mansions of Madness: Second Edition [7.39637x2][11][14.8909], Yokohama [7.39421][12][14.8263]
2015: 13: Food Chain Magnate [7.80838][1][27.2514], Kingdom Death: Monster [7.77813][2][26.3439], The Voyages of Marco Polo [7.7378][3][25.134], Codenames [7.72222][4][24.6666], T.I.M.E Stories [7.71536][5][24.4608], Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 [7.70148x2][6][24.0444], Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization [7.6123x2][7][21.369], Mombasa [7.59386][8][20.8158], The Gallerist [7.56799][9][20.0397], Forbidden Stars [7.50868][10][18.2604], 7 Wonders Duel [7.45444x2][11][16.6332], Zombicide: Black Plague [7.40451][12][15.1353], Blood Rage [7.40081x2][13][15.0244]
2014: 13: Orléans [7.84558][1][28.3674], Five Tribes [7.66126][2][22.8378], Patchwork [7.64937][3][22.4811], Fields of Arle [7.64882][4][22.4646], Roll for the Galaxy [7.64139][5][22.2417], Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game [7.62565][6][21.7695], Castles of Mad King Ludwig [7.52531][7][18.7593], Alchemists [7.51445][8][18.4335], Arcadia Quest [7.49706][9][17.9118], Star Realms [7.49512][10][17.8536], Istanbul [7.46743][11][17.0229], La Granja [7.40821][12][15.2463], Splendor [7.40036][13][15.0108]
2013: 8: Concordia [7.86166][1][28.8498], Eldritch Horror [7.6911][2][23.733], Russian Railroads [7.57853][3][20.3559], Nations [7.47101][4][17.1303], Caverna: The Cave Farmers [7.43441x2][5][16.0324], Viticulture [7.39094x2][6][14.7282], Lewis & Clark [7.34338][7][13.3014], Bora Bora [7.31439][8][12.4317]
2012: 11: Terra Mystica [8.11391][1][36.4173], Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island [7.79465][2][26.8395], Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar [7.78428][3][26.5284], Keyflower [7.72232][4][24.6696], Lords of Waterdeep [7.67079][5][23.1237], Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game [7.62567][6][21.7701], Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) [7.5398][7][19.194], Kemet [7.53221][8][18.9663], Suburbia [7.47084][9][17.1252], War of the Ring (Second Edition) [7.44254x2][10][16.2762], Mage Wars Arena [7.34426][11][13.3278]
2011: 10: The Castles of Burgundy [8.00127][1][33.0381], Mage Knight Board Game [7.92368][2][30.7104], Eclipse [7.82321][3][27.6963], Trajan [7.58266][4][20.4798], Ora et Labora [7.49152][5][17.7456], The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game [7.41346][6][15.4038], Village [7.40353][7][15.1059], Mansions of Madness [7.39637x2][8][14.8909], Dungeon Petz [7.34121][9][13.2363], Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan [7.32083][10][12.6249]
2010: 7: Dominant Species [7.66272][1][22.8816], Troyes [7.5811][2][20.433], 7 Wonders [7.45444x2][3][16.6332], Alien Frontiers [7.30882][4][12.2646], Navegador [7.2918][5][11.754], Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game [7.27241][6][11.1723], Merchants & Marauders [7.22065][7][9.6195]
2009: 9: Chaos in the Old World [7.46574][1][16.9722], Jaipur [7.41343][2][15.4029], Hansa Teutonica [7.41107][3][15.3321], Steam [7.4072][4][15.216], Cyclades [7.34886][5][13.4658], Imperial 2030 [7.2829][6][11.487], Dominion: Intrigue [7.27161x2][7][11.1483], Dungeon Lords [7.25063][8][10.5189], Small World [7.24914][9][10.4742]
2008: 7: Le Havre [7.78566][1][26.5698], Pandemic [7.70148x2][2][24.0444], Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game [7.61723][3][21.5169], Stone Age [7.52267][4][18.6801], Space Alert [7.32491][5][12.7473], Dominion [7.27161x2][6][11.1483], Ghost Stories [7.23053][7][9.9159]
2007: 8: Brass: Lancashire [7.79095][1][26.7285], Race for the Galaxy [7.67428][2][23.2284], Agricola [7.43441x2][3][16.0324], Midgard [7.40081x2][4][15.0244], Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries [7.40048][5][15.0144], Galaxy Trucker [7.35341][6][13.6023], Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery [7.34138][7][13.2414], 1960: The Making of the President [7.30695][8][12.2085]
2006: 6: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization [7.6123x2][1][21.369], Commands & Colors: Ancients [7.46364][2][16.9092], Combat Commander: Europe [7.42449][3][15.7347], Imperial [7.33368][4][13.0104], Here I Stand [7.28488][5][11.5464], Neuroshima Hex! [7.20435][6][9.1305]
2005: 7: Twilight Struggle [8.20669][1][39.2007], Caylus [7.69395][2][23.8185], Descent: Journeys in the Dark [7.38325x2][3][14.4975], Glory to Rome [7.31832][4][12.5496], Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) [7.29207x2][5][11.7619], Indonesia [7.2233][6][9.699], Ticket to Ride: Europe [7.18556x2][7][8.5668]
2004: 7: War of the Ring (First Edition) [7.44254x2][1][16.2762], Goa [7.41526][2][15.4578], Memoir '44 [7.39074][3][14.7222], Power Grid [7.36808x2][4][14.0424], Santorini [7.23339x2][5][10.0015], Ticket to Ride [7.18556x2][6][8.5668], San Juan [7.17517][7][8.2551]
2003: 3: YINSH [7.34589][1][13.3767], A Game of Thrones (first edition) [7.20476x2][2][9.14265], Amun-Re [7.11696][3][6.5088]
2002: 3: Puerto Rico [7.95764][1][31.7292], Age of Steam [7.18092x2][2][8.4276], Wallenstein (first edition) [7.12777x2][3][6.8331]
2001: 2: Funkenschlag [7.36808x2][1][14.0424], Hive [7.20684][2][9.2052]
2000: 3: The Princes of Florence [7.39873][1][14.9619], Carcassonne [7.32983][2][12.8949], Battle Line [7.07718x2][3][5.3154]
1999: 4: Paths of Glory [7.4462][1][16.386], Ra [7.33877][2][13.1631], Tikal [7.19511][3][8.8533], Roads & Boats [7.09838][4][5.9514]
1998: 2: Samurai [7.26957][1][11.0871], Battlemist [7.1139x2][2][6.41685]
1997: 2: Tigris & Euphrates [7.57792][1][20.3376], For Sale [7.1101][2][6.303]
1996: 2: Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage [7.3433][1][13.299], Netrunner [7.32782x2][2][12.8346]
1995: 2: El Grande [7.65492][1][22.6476], Catan [7.08592][2][5.5776]
1994: 2: Blood Bowl (Third Edition) [7.1349][1][7.047], RoboRally [7.0112][2][3.336]
1993: 1: Magic: The Gathering [7.30069][1][12.0207]
1992: 1: Modern Art [7.17371][1][8.2113]
1991: 1: Tichu [7.14677x2][1][7.40325]
1990: 1: The Republic of Rome [7.01009][1][3.3027]
1989: 1: Space Hulk [7.04489x2][1][4.3467]
1987: 1: The Fury of Dracula [7.09771x2][1][5.93145]
1986: 3: 1830: Railways & Robber Barons [7.28187][1][11.4561], Die Macher [7.24564][2][10.3692], Blood Bowl (first edition) [7.06752x2][3][5.02545]
1985: 1: Advanced Squad Leader [7.06151x2][1][4.84545]
1984: 1: Eat Poop You Cat [7.04195x2][1][4.2585]
1983: 1: Up Front [6.97406][1][2.2218]
1982: 1: Survive: Escape from Atlantis! [7.16569][1][7.9707]
1981: 1: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases [7.59602][1][20.8806]
1980: 1: Civilization [7.18309][1][8.4927]
1979: 1: Dune [7.20016][1][9.0048]
1977: 2: Cosmic Encounter [7.16642x2][1][7.9926], Squad Leader [7.06151x2][2][4.84545]
1964: 1: Acquire [7.20782][1][9.2346]
1957: 1: La Conquête du Monde [7.03648x2][1][4.09425]
1950: 1: Contraband [7.02488x2][1][3.7464]
1876: 1: Crokinole [7.54986][1][19.4958]
1475: 0:
0: 1: Zheng Fen [7.14677x2][1][7.40325]

Now I fit regression lines to these numbers. The floating point numbers tell us that there should be 14.1074 significant games for 2015, and 55.1797 games in total in my top analysis subset. The actual numbers are 13 and 49. Thus 2015 is slightly below the curve. The slope of the fitted cure represent the "Cult-of-the-new" decay of games.
Slope:0.103776 Intercept (ln()):0.467408 10.9352%
Slope:0.164718596 Intercept:0.551505237 17.9061279%
2015 Σ13 14.1074, no.games: 49 55.1797
2014 Σ13 12.7168, no.games: 41 46.7997
2013 Σ 8 11.4633, no.games: 29 39.6924
2012 Σ11 10.3333, no.games: 39 33.6644
2011 Σ10 9.31474, no.games: 31 28.5518
2010 Σ 7 8.39656, no.games: 23 24.2157
2009 Σ 9 7.56889, no.games: 28 20.5382
2008 Σ 7 6.8228, no.games: 13 17.4191
2007 Σ 8 6.15026, no.games: 21 14.7737
2006 Σ 6 5.54401, no.games: 13 12.53
2005 Σ 7 4.99752, no.games: 15 10.6271
2004 Σ 7 4.5049, no.games: 16 9.01321
2003 Σ 3 4.06084, no.games: 4 7.64439
2002 Σ 3 3.66056, no.games: 7 6.48346
2001 Σ 2 3.29972, no.games: 3 5.49883
2000 Σ 3 2.97446, no.games: 5 4.66374
1999 Σ 4 2.68126, no.games: 9 3.95547
1998 Σ 2 2.41696, no.games: 2 3.35476
1997 Σ 2 2.17872, no.games: 3 2.84528
1996 Σ 2 1.96395, no.games: 2 2.41317

Both years 2014 and 2012 are high above the curve. Also 2009 and 2007.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
gaaloechild wrote:
I have data-mining the BGG ratings as a sub-hobby. The years below are followed by a number, telling how many significant games were produced this year, using a h-index method.

So how did you define the h-index? What is it you intend to measure with this index? Are there other ways of measuring what you intend to measure? What disadvantages and biases are there to the index? What did you do to guard against these (if possible)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
My issue with CotN is it makes it extremely difficult to get existing games to the table when everyone is going, "Ooh, New! Let's play it!"

Unlike Pete, I'm not finding much in a lot of the hot new games to entice me to want to learn them.
That all depends what you're looking for.

2017 was the year of the once-through game for me, and that format has created some interesting new games. The Unlock and Exit series exploded in the last year, and I've played about a dozen of those escape room board games. Gloomhaven is on my table (though I'm having a bit of trouble getting it played) and Pandemic Legacy 2 is in the queue. I've got Time Stories ready to get going (it's not a 2017 product but it's part of that trend) and I'm probably going to get Charterstone soon.

This is the new space for me, and I'm enjoying it. I understand that it's not for everyone, but that's to be expected. When semi-cooperative games were all the rage a few years ago, I was not on board with that trend, but it was new and a lot of people enjoyed it.

Pete (isn't saying that's the only thing that's happening right now, but it's the major trend for him)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
gaaloechild wrote:
I have data-mining the BGG ratings as a sub-hobby.

So how did you define the h-index?

See geeklist "Ranking of the top designers calculated from their game ratings using h-index". There is an alternative output sorting by year instead of by designer.
cymric wrote:
What is it you intend to measure with this index?

Primarily I measure which designer is the most prolific and with high quality on his games, using geek rating. But in this case I sort by year instead.
cymric wrote:
Are there other ways of measuring what you intend to measure?

Indeed: I can use Average rating instead of geek rating. And I can adjust the scale translating from rating into h-index in several ways.
cymric wrote:
What disadvantages and biases are there to the index?

If a game is very popular but has few ratings it will not show up in the geek rating.
cymric wrote:
What did you do to guard against these (if possible)?

I avoid using Average rating, since it is has less confidence: 30 friends voting 10 on a game will make it appear as the next Gloomhaven. I use geek rating, a bit slow on detecting new games but reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Goard
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
ampoliros wrote:

Yep, which in turn makes it hard to both get really good at a game and play against really good opponents.

It means taking the experienced strategy out of games. Which, in my language, means taking all the game out of games, and being in the hobby of learning rules instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.