Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
Currently working on: Tinmates
mbmbmbmbmb
Components ready v2 - subject to change!

Part of the 2018 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest

Description

In Dice Diner, players take on the role of serving staff in the wackiest diner in the world - Open only once a day, serving a random assortment of dice to their customers who themselves can have particular tastes, Dice Diner can be a stressful place to work. But what's worse is that you know the boss is going to be cutting back on staff so you need to make sure you're serving up dice faster than your nemesis, you need this job!

Dice Diner is a dice drafting game for 2 players. Players take turns to draft dice from a central pool or modify the dice in their reserve. The first player to satisfy their two tables wins the round, the first player to win 2 rounds wins the game!

To play this game you need:

52 dice (8 blue, 8 yellow, 8 red, 8 pink, 8 black, 8 orange, and 4 white)

Rules

Print and play files

Link to rules and PnP file here:

Dice Diner PnP

To get regular updates on the progress of Dice Diner, please make sure you subscribe!

Updates:

v2:
Rule changes (less dice to draft, more specific requirements, players alternate actions)
Change from red and white tile floor to grey carpet
Updated diner art
Updated rulebook

Low ink files
Tabletop Simulator mod

Coming Soon:

Rules video

v3:
Back to the red and white floor!
Rulebook clarity improved
Symbols added to aid colour distinction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP} Dice Diner - 2018 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest
A quick idea of what the customer cards might look like:

Early days yet though. Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Simon - welcome to the contest!

Yum yum! Nothing like a crunchy dice or two for breakfast. I hear that one in six nutritionists recommend a 5 as part of a balanced diet.

Best of luck!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just added some customers. Any thoughts on the art so far?

I have a pretty sure idea of how the game is going to play but I'm going to work on the rules over the next couple of days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the rules are done, as are the components!

I'll be ready to release them soon but I'm doing some solo playtesting today and playtesting with a friend tomorrow to find any problems in the rules or components.

Exciting times! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can not do better art myself, but to be very honest the first moment I saw it I thought the red and white was the table cloth and someone spilled mayonnaise on it, before I realized it was the floor and they were customers. This might be because around here food places don't have these red and white floors.

I like the theme and I am curious to read the rules. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I will be able to play test because I don't have that many dices.

Enjoy the play testing and good luck with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to look at the game J de K, And thanks for the feedback on the art. I'm going to be re doing the layout and the art based on the playtesting I did the other day so I'll take your advice on board.

If it helps, I'll be reducing the amount of dice needed, probably to 9 of each colour but I know many people will be in the same position as you. Unfortunately, lots of dice are necessary for this type of game!

Please feel free to give feedback on the rules and art when they are updated, any feedback is appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a little update for those who may be waiting for components/rules:

After playing the game a few times on Tuesday it seemed to be a real luck-fest and not really what I wanted from the game. My aim was to have a dice drafting element and a focus on tactical choices in the manipulation of the drafted dice. The first card layout was too easy to complete so it was too much luck and not enough skill.

I replayed the game with fewer dice available in the shared pool and with only the harder cards laid out but there were still too many options available. The choices were obvious. Also, when I playtested it with a friend there really was zero player interaction. This can be ok in some games, and it's still not a 'take that' game by any means, but player interaction has now been increased with a shared dice pool and the game is much better for it.

I playtested a new version with him which reduced the player's options and I'm much happier with it now but, unfortunately, it means a complete re-write of the rules and a review of the cards.

I'm still working hard to bring the game to a 'components available' status so keep returning to this page regularly and it'll be done soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueChicken wrote:
I can not do better art myself, but to be very honest the first moment I saw it I thought the red and white was the table cloth and someone spilled mayonnaise on it, before I realized it was the floor and they were customers. This might be because around here food places don't have these red and white floors.

I like the theme and I am curious to read the rules. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I will be able to play test because I don't have that many dices.

Enjoy the play testing and good luck with the game!

Thoughts on this art? going for a carpet-style floor instead of the red and white 'tiles'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't see the "dots" as customers.
Probably, because their shoulders /arms as well as their shoes are missing ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

That's just me being lazy, I suppose I should add them in laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those that are interested, here is the version 1 of Dice Diner. Remember, there are a lot of changes coming so this isn't anywhere near the 'components ready' stage. Just thought I'd give a bit of context to my previous post...

Dice Diner V1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon_Milburn wrote:
schattentanz wrote:

That's just me being lazy, I suppose I should add them in laugh

How's this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaah!

Females!

With Boobies!

Finally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Aaaaah!

Females!

With Boobies!

Finally

It's always been my curse. When I draw legs, they just look like breasts... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon,

As much as I like the idea of your game, there is one thing confusing me:

Theme vs. mechanics!

Apparently, a player is a waiter, serving the customers.
However, instead of going into the kitchen, ordering the cook to prepare meals as ordered, the cook dishes out random meals and the waiters have to get along with whatever the cook likes.

Hu?

Thematically this doesn't make sense to me ..

Aside from that, as mentioned: the idea is great and I can see this game scale up for more players!
(Those chessex 36 dice boxes do come in handy here ..)

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Simon,

As much as I like the idea of your game, there is one thing confusing me:

Theme vs. mechanics!

Apparently, a player is a waiter, serving the customers.
However, instead of going into the kitchen, ordering the cook to prepare meals as ordered, the cook dishes out random meals and the waiters have to get along with whatever the cook likes.

Hu?

Thematically this doesn't make sense to me ..

Aside from that, as mentioned: the idea is great and I can see this game scale up for more players!
(Those chessex 36 dice boxes do come in handy here ..)

Kind regards,
Kai

Thanks for the feedback Kai, I didn't include it in the first draft of the rules but the explanation for that is going to be something along the lines of

"Although we have the best dice chefs in the world, they do have a tendency to cook whatever they fancy. Do your best to make their dishes fit the customers' orders"

I know it's a bit of a weak link but I couldn't think of another theme that fit the mechanism I had in mind

I think you're right that it could scale to more players but I'm going to focus on it as a 2 player game for now then hopefully extend it from there, although I suspect It may need more dice for more players. As it is, I think I'll be cutting it down to 36 dice for the next version though so it could be done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been to a restaurant in Italy like this.

You can't order - you just go in, the guy who runs the restaurant looks you up and down and chooses something to cook for you. You either like it or you don't.

Personally, I hated it. But apparently it was thought of very highly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the breasts issue is fine.

I've never met anyone, female or otherwise, with 2 out the front and 1 out each side!

But what do I know, I actually thought they looked fine on the red and white?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Maybe a poll will help:
Poll: Which Floor?
Red and white floor or carpeted floor?
Red and White
Carpeted
No prererence
Other (comment below)
      9 answers
Poll created by Simon_Milburn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think my confusion was caused by the combination of the unknown floor and customers that were difficult to recognize. Now the customers are much more readable. So, probably using the red and white floor won't give issues now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys, I know I've been a bit slow in getting the components ready, it's just been a bit of a busy time for me for the past couple of weeks.

I haven't forgotten about it though and I've been chipping away at the cards and rules.

The new PnP files are almost done but I want to get the rules ready before releasing them, I'll keep you posted with progress but hopefully should have them both ready by the end of this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just having a final check of the components before uploading them. Hopefully later today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon_Milburn wrote:
Interesting. Maybe a poll will help:
Poll: Which Floor?
Red and white floor or carpeted floor?
Red and White
Carpeted
No prererence
Other (comment below)
      9 answers
Poll created by Simon_Milburn

I see the results of this poll are leaning towards the red and white floor as a preference. For now, I'm going to be keeping the carpeted floor and I'll update to red and white when I make some changes the next time (if the poll results stay the same!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J+E+S
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no game designer but I've been toying with a similar idea for some time: a 2-player, competitive, dice drafting game based on cards with 3 slots. In my case the main inspiration was FUSE.
This means I'll follow this thread closely!

Regarding your game, I really like the theme, what I'm not understanding is the drafting part. I read the rules and If I understood correctly the first player draws 6 dice and performs 3 actions, the next player draws 6 more dice and performs 3 actions. This means that players are performing their actions using different dice pools, I'm no expert but to me that's not drafting.

Take this definition (replace "card" with "die" and the idea remains the same):

Quote:
Card drafting games are games where players pick cards from a limited subset, such as a common pool (...).

Games where cards are simply drawn from a pile are not card drafting games - drafting implies that players have some sort of choice and the ability to draft a card another player may want thereby denying them something they may have wanted.

I see that you are planning to release new rules soon, maybe my concern will no longer be an issue when that happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.