Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half Price Books is sending out in-store 20% off your-entire-purchase (not just one item) coupons, for a sale that started yesterday and goes all weekend long. The sale is available to mailing list members only! It's good on board games too, and they have some nice new ones in store right now. I picked up Photosynthesis for $28, yesterday using the coupon, and saw several copies of Scythe and Charterstone on the shelf too, at my local HPB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Niekamp
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I travel for work and saw a copy of Stuffed Fables for something like $56 that I really wanted to use that 20% on. Unfortunately, I saw it Wednesday night (coupon started Thursday) and flew home early Thursday morning. And there aren't any HPBS around here. Alas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was at 2 of my ocal ones and saw that they had a big boardgame refresh (and some left over from last refresh):

Scythe
Pandemic Legacy Season 2
Kingdomino
Queendomino
Photosynthesis
Terror in Meeple City
Prophecy
Skyliners
Aquarium
Cthulhu's Vault
Civilization New Dawn
Various Pathfinder Class Decks
Warhammer Cardgame (FFG Adventure cardgame, not the LCG)
Vikings on Board
About 8 - 10 other titles I don't remember

Did not see Stuffed Fables, jealous.
Did see a few Terraforming Mars during the last 50% off weekend which, for some inexplicable reason I talked myself out of, but those are all gone in my area now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't know they sold so many new games. I ran out to my local one at lunch. They had Puerto Rico for $27.690, or after discount $22.15 NEW. I grabbed it, thanks.

I think the biggest deal I saw at least versus Amazon prices (I didn't do tons of price look ups) was Planet Steam
For $30 (or $24 after coupon). Is like $45 on Amazon

They had Scythe as well for $54 pre coupon, so would be like $43 afterwards. So tempting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krubby wrote:
I didn't know they sold so many new games.

I think it varies. My local HPB's only carries overpriced used games. It's so depressing, I've stopped going in.

Krubby wrote:
I think the biggest deal I saw at least versus Amazon prices (I didn't do tons of price look ups) was Planet Steam
For $30 (or $24 after coupon). Is like $45 on Amazon

We have seen ridiculously low prices on Planet Steam from OLGS's in the past, but it seems like all the stock has finally sold through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patella wrote:
I travel for work and saw a copy of Stuffed Fables for something like $56 that I really wanted to use that 20% on.

Only one of the stores in my area had Stuffed Fables, but they had four copies of them! So thanks for the heads-up on that one, as I was able to snag a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Matthew
msg tools
mb
Krubby wrote:
They had Scythe as well for $54 pre coupon, so would be like $43 afterwards. So tempting

My local HPB had Scythe for $64 before the coupon. Are you sure yours was $54 before the coupon? I would have gotten it had it been $54 that you mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warhawke wrote:
Krubby wrote:

My local HPB had Scythe for $64 before the coupon. Are you sure yours was $54 before the coupon? I would have gotten it had it been $54 that you mention.

My local HPB has it for $54, before coupon, too. Pricing depends on the age of the item and when they acquired it. The one in your store could be a new copy or a newer edition/printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan the Wired
United States
flag msg tools
With the discount, prices seemed about equal to online retailers. However, Terror in Meeple City was half price + 20% off: about $24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
warhawke wrote:
Krubby wrote:

My local HPB has it for $54, before coupon, too. Pricing depends on the age of the item and when they acquired it. The one in your store could be a new copy or a newer edition/printing.

Um, no. We're talking about Scythe here. HPB generally gets these newer titles all at once, along with a batch of similar new games. They didn't trickle in over time. Most likely the lower price is a glitch (assuming people are noting the correct price since it doesn't sound like either of you actually purchased it). I went to two stores and both had Scythe for $64. That's 20% off the MSRP of $80, which is their standard pricing on the more popular new titles. $54 is an oddball percentage of around 33%. Not typical for HPB.

They do discount some titles straight to 50% off or lower. But if it isn't at least half off then it's going to be 20% off. Exceptions are rare.

For most of us, I'm guessing those $64 copies are going to sit until a coupon week rolls around. Then people will be snatching them up. Save just a few dollars over retail wasn't enough to tempt me this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
pdclose wrote:
warhawke wrote:
Krubby wrote:

Um, no. We're talking about Scythe here.

Yes we are. The copies of Scythe in one of my stores have been there through the past 2 sales, at least. Scythe was part of HPB sales over a year ago, and yes, there are still some left from that.

japester1 wrote:
Most likely the lower price is a glitch (assuming people are noting the correct price since it doesn't sound like either of you actually purchased it).

I asked a manager at the store about them, before posting, and no, it isn't a glitch, they're just older stock. And thanks for keeping an eye on exactly what I and they have been purchasing, though obviously not a close enough one to actually be correct. shake Next time try thanking the OP for posting about the sale and/or lower prices in the first place, even if it doesn't work out for your location.

In summary, if you're lucky enough to have a store whose copies of Scythe have been around for a while, you'll likely find it priced lower than 20% off current MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm the one that first posted about Scythe being $54. That was the price pre 20% additional coupon. I'm 100% sure, I called my wife and asked her thoughts about it and talked through the price and looked it up on Amazon, camel camel camel etc to compare.

Prior to this thread I didn't even know the HPB sold games, so I can't speak to past history or how the price things etc.work. I just know that was the price.

I did purchase NIB Puerto Rico and they have a June 2017 date on the sticker. Not sure if that means that is when they put it on the shelf. Surprises me it would of sat for 8 months Even at the $30 pre coupon price.

If I go back to store and they still have Scythe I'll look to see if there is a date on that sticker. Regardless it was $54 or would be about $43 before tax with 20% coupon. Hard to beat I think.

For me I've bought 12 games in last 5-6 weeks so I'm chilling on the purchasing for now (oops on the Puerto Rico) plus I don't know if I have a group that would play this large of a game unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
japester1 wrote:

Um, no. We're talking about Scythe here.

Yes we are. The copies of Scythe in one of my stores have been there through the past 2 sales, at least. Scythe was part of HPB sales over a year ago, and yes, there are still some left from that.

japester1 wrote:
Most likely the lower price is a glitch (assuming people are noting the correct price since it doesn't sound like either of you actually purchased it).

I asked a manager at the store about them, before posting, and no, it isn't a glitch, they're just older stock. And thanks for keeping an eye on exactly what I and they have been purchasing, though obviously not a close enough one to actually be correct. shake Next time try thanking the OP for posting about the sale and/or lower prices in the first place, even if it doesn't work out for your location.

In summary, if you're lucky enough to have a store whose copies of Scythe have been around for a while, you'll likely find it priced lower than 20% off current MSRP.

Please take the weird hostility down a notch, pdclose. Doing a search I see exactly one post mentioning seeing Scythe at HPB (and no mention of it in the thread title). Unless I completely missed a big discussion. In either case, my bad for not knowing it was out there. I figured something like Scythe at a chain discounter would be cause for a big discussion. (If that discussion exists and anyone has a link, I'd like to read it.)

I wasn't attacking you or the OP's thread. The smiley in my post was sincere. But if I came across that way, I apologize. I mentioned the fact that neither of you said you bought the game because that would be relevant in this discussion--people who buy have a receipt with the price, while people who are going off their memory may be mistaken. Knocking $10 (or any other random amount) off a game is something I haven't seen at the 5 HPB's near me. I guess it's a manger's discretion kind of thing. Now I know.

Happy shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. Scrolled up to see who the OP was (in case that person might also think I took a jab at them). Didn't realize it was also pdclose!

Referring to yourself in the third/fourth(?) person while telling me to "thank the OP next time" threw me off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Referring to yourself in the third/fourth(?) person while telling me to "thank the OP next time" threw me off...

Hah, funny, I agree, if you interpreted it that way. I posted the general sale news. Krubby posted the Scythe-specific pricing find that you're questioning, and he's the OP I'm referencing.

Krubby, thanks for the heads-up on Scythe! I missed it on the first past through the store, but found it when I went back, on an endcap, further away from the main games area. Great find! thumbsup

japester1 wrote:
Doing a search I see exactly one post mentioning seeing Scythe at HPB (and no mention of it in the thread title). Unless I completely missed a big discussion.

Here, and here, are a couple, but yes, it's not been the subject and has never had that big of a deal made out of it, even when you could get it for 50% off their 20% off price. Scythe appears to be popular with a specific crowd, rather than considered a general great find. More has been made out of Kingdomino being at HPB, or Terraforming Mars, than of Scythe. Weird but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links. Yeah, puzzling that the discovery generated little interest. I passed on the KS, but I would have snatched that up on a 50% off day! Now I wonder if my local copies survived those sales or are new stock...

(Totally OT but SuperMarionation rocks. I grew up on Gerry and Sylvia’s shows.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.