Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is for Terra Mystica players that want to have live games on the app. I and DIGIDICED agree that the 10 minutes currently allotted per turn is much too long on fast games. What time settings would you prefer? DIGIDICED will likely go with the winning options. I personally think that the 4 minutes per turn and a chess clock with 6min+1min/turn are very short so the numbers for those options would have to have a super-majority (67%) compared to the rest of the options that could be implemented. Also please share why you think your choices are best.

Poll
What time settings do you want for live games in the Terra Mystica iOS/Android/Steam/Windows App?
Which timer style do you want for a fast game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Set number of minutes for each turn.
27.8% 10
Chess clock that gives extra minutes for each completed turn up to a maximum time.
72.2% 26
Voters 36
If set number of minutes for each turn is selected, then how many minutes?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
4 minutes per turn
50.0% 17
5 minutes per turn
41.2% 14
6 minutes per turn
5.9% 2
7 minutes per turn
0.0% 0
8 minutes per turn
2.9% 1
Voters 34
If a chess clock style is selected, what do you want the maximum time to be and how many minutes should be added for each completed turn? You may select multiple answers on each row.
  +1 minute/move +2 minutes/move +3 minutes/move +4 minutes/move +5 minutes/move Vote Count
6 minute max clock 65.0% (13) 30.0% (6) 5.0% (1) 10.0% (2) 20.0% (4) 20
7 minute max clock 30.8% (4) 53.8% (7) 15.4% (2) 30.8% (4) 7.7% (1) 13
8 minute max clock 53.3% (8) 33.3% (5) 33.3% (5) 13.3% (2) 6.7% (1) 15
9 minute max clock 50.0% (6) 50.0% (6) 16.7% (2) 16.7% (2) 8.3% (1) 12
10 minute max clock 68.8% (11) 37.5% (6) 25.0% (4) 6.2% (1) 12.5% (2) 16
Total Voters 31
This poll is now closed.   38 answers
Poll created by JamesWolfpacker
Closes: Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:00 am

NOTE TO BGG ADMIN: Please delay moving this to the app forum until polling is ended on March 1st. This is to primarily gauge interest from the main community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be an option to only do fast games? I always check the current fast game box, but I have yet to be placed in one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe a Chess Clock is better than just pure minutes per move. At 5 minutes per move, games could still take just a stupidly long time if some players get in the habit of taking long turns every turn.

I'd love to see something like 10 minute chess clock max along with 1 min/move which is my proffered choice. Anything more than about 2mins per move additional on a chess clock setting seems to once again drift into the situation where players could easily take way too long still.

If I'm joining a fast game I'd like a rough assurance that it'll be over in 2-3 hours. Any settings that allow for games to realistically exceed that means I'll never try to play fast games on the app.

Because the app also strictly enforces leeching order and Cultists ability, there are something like 80-100 turns per player in each game. Even with 1 minute per move, that means games could go on very long. Frankly, I kind of suspect the app will never turn into a good platform for playing fast games unless time controls get even tighter than those listed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this poll here? I thought there was a dedicated forum for the TM app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
Will there be an option to only do fast games? I always check the current fast game box, but I have yet to be placed in one.

If you leave the app for any reason you are dropped from the fast games queue. This might be one of the reasons why. Also, if you have an active ranked game with another player, you do not get placed with that player in another game until it is finished. I'm thinking of suggesting that fast games will allow an asynchronous game with a same player too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Why is this poll here? I thought there was a dedicated forum for the TM app?

This is to gauge opinions from the main forum of players. There is interest in fast games here so we are trying to meet that demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Edwards
msg tools
mb
I regularly join the queue but recently have failed to get a fast game. It’s so easy to look away for few minutes whilst in the queue only to come back and see you’ve been timed out. Last time I got a fast game, I waited for hours for it too start and then the game really dragged. Would it be possible to show how many players have already joined the queue so as to get some idea when the game might begin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What all does the check clock addition include...does it include adding time when you have a leech decision, does it add time between moves if everyone else has passed? Assuming the chess clock includes all moves, even 1 minute seems pretty high to me, this leaves the potential for an hour+ per player. It would probably be fine since most players would max their time out so they wouldn't average a minute per move, but if I could pick something it would be starting timer of 7 minutes, 40 seconds added per move and a 10 minute max on the clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've just spent the weekend playing a half dozen live games on BoardGameArena with the fast time settings there.

That is 3 minutes per player max, with 30 seconds added per move. (And that's actual move made, not leeching decisions as far as I've been able to notice).

4 players games there still are taking me 90-120 minutes. Although that admittedly is allowing a few instances of going over the time limit (largely due to glitches/issues with the interface there which due to being in beta still has several issues).

Still that's a good guideline to me to showing what sorts of time limits actually work to create truly live games. I'd suggest getting kind of closer to BGA's limits compared to what you've listed above. Perhaps something like 5 minutes starting time limit and max, along with 45 seconds per move? That should allow players to sit down and play a game in 3ish hours or less. Anything more than that and you're going to be surpassing 3 hour games and I think you still won't find anyone using the app for live games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
my time for a live game has been between 14 and 19 minutes based on my 3 live games on bga. The 19 minutes would have been slightly faster except for lost time due to bugs in the game. The slowest players were just a bit over 30 minutes total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Do you think that maybe there should just be a complete 30 minute or 40 minute total timer with no time added at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gmg159 wrote:
What all does the check clock addition include...does it include adding time when you have a leech decision, does it add time between moves if everyone else has passed? Assuming the chess clock includes all moves, even 1 minute seems pretty high to me, this leaves the potential for an hour+ per player. It would probably be fine since most players would max their time out so they wouldn't average a minute per move, but if I could pick something it would be starting timer of 7 minutes, 40 seconds added per move and a 10 minute max on the clock.

As of now, it would include normal moves and reaction moves since additional work would have to go into differentiating those for clock purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Do you think that maybe there should just be a complete 30 minute or 40 minute total timer with no time added at all?

I think that could work if you also added a 5-7 minute timeout for a single move...and maybe give the player a warning if they are 1 minute from timing out that they can click to reset the timeout. That would prevent people having to wait too much if someone leaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll ask if that is workable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmg159 wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

I think that could work if you also added a 5-7 minute timeout for a single move...and maybe give the player a warning if they are 1 minute from timing out that they can click to reset the timeout. That would prevent people having to wait too much if someone leaves.

Agreed--that is my main complaint about a 30-40 minute timer. If someone does drop, then you're just waiting 30 minutes for the game to advance. The Agricola app has 30 minute games where you just get a flat 30 minutes, and admittedly that does work pretty well to ensure you can play a game in the next 2 hours or whatever. The downside is when someone drops--or when someone mismanages their time a bit at the end. It kind of sucks to see someone compete for 13 rounds only to time out right at the end because they didn't have enough clock left to take their moves. This is why it can be nice to have the chess timer stuff so that players who are in total time trouble can at least finish out the game by taking quick moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How about players start with 6 minutes.
And get 4 more minutes at the beginning of each round for a total of 30 minutes.
If they start with 30 min they might mismanage there time in the beginning.

In addition maybe give players extra 2-5 seconds per turn, giving them a minute could make it very slow if they take a lot of actions per round.
I don't think players that take more actions per round should get significantly more time to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from BGG>> to >>VGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.