Subject: Major lines- I think we did this wrong rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Played my first game (4 player) last night, with someone who had just gotten a copy from Ebay. She had played it several times before, but years ago. The rest of us were playing for the first time.

We played Eastern US. On the back of the player aid, it lists all the major lines. We played that those points were available to score from the beginning of the game, so early on I scored 5 or 6 points for connecting Boston to D.C. I think. Then a couple rounds later the Major Line card for that route was drawn, so I scored the points again. Later I scored 20 points (10+10) for connecting New York to Chicago as the card for that one was already out. This seemed OP, but the person who brought the game assured us that this was how they had been taught.

Now I think that each of those routes should only have scored once, and only when the Major Line card is out or comes out. I don't have the rules to refer to now, and I can't find them online. I felt bad, because one player basically gave up halfway through the game because I was so far ahead.

Can someone with the rulebook cite something for me, with page number, so that the next time we play I can easily explain what we were doing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's two versions of the rules. In one, the major lines are shuffled into the deck and can only be claimed once the card it drawn. In the other, the main lines are not part of the deck and are always available to be claimed. It looks like you played both ways, which is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:
Played my first game (4 player) last night, with someone who had just gotten a copy from Ebay. She had played it several times before, but years ago. The rest of us were playing for the first time.

This is absolutely one of my favorites, hope you enjoyed it.

raddoc wrote:
We played Eastern US. On the back of the player aid, it lists all the major lines. We played that those points were available to score from the beginning of the game, so early on I scored 5 or 6 points for connecting Boston to D.C. I think.

This is the current correct way to play ROTW. Immediately score the points when a line is completed

raddoc wrote:
Then a couple rounds later the Major Line card for that route was drawn, so I scored the points again. Later I scored 20 points (10+10) for connecting New York to Chicago as the card for that one was already out. This seemed OP, but the person who brought the game assured us that this was how they had been taught.

Now I think that each of those routes should only have scored once, and only when the Major Line card is out or comes out. I don't have the rules to refer to now, and I can't find them online. I felt bad, because one player basically gave up halfway through the game because I was so far ahead.

Can someone with the rulebook cite something for me, with page number, so that the next time we play I can easily explain what we were doing wrong?

When the game originally came out the major lines were intended to come out randomly and so cards were included. After the rules update they no longer provided the major lines cards in the deck. When playing with the updated rules you should remove the major lines cards and lines should never be double counted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2019 Jun 12th - 16th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 19 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the official rules text:

Major Lines: Major Lines are identified on the board and
are available throughout the game. Major Lines represent
strategic routes; and, once these two cities have been
connected by links owned by a single player, that player
receives the points shown on the chart and that Major Line
cannot be scored by anyone else.
We recommend the player completing the Major Line place
one of their locomotive markers on the chart to show they
have completed it. The Major Line Cards can be removed
completely from the game to save table space. All you need is
the Major Lines Summary Card for reference.
We also recommend players use a set of two matching
markers (such as glass beads) to mark the two ends of each
Major Line so players can easily identify the routes.
NOTE: Check the Major Line Rules for the Eastern U.S. map
for clarification of set up and rules as this map predates the
official Major Line set up and rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you enjoyed the game!

Now let's sort out the Major Lines rules for you. The problem for you is that your version has the Major Line Cards instead of having the Major Lines printed on the board. This was the first version. The missing rule for the cards is that they should be on display from the beginning of the game. Then the following rule makes it very easy:

From the new RotW Rule Book Compendium Comprehensive Rules . . .

Check for Completed Major Lines
The first player to connect the two endpoints of a Major Line using
only their own links (but going through any number of other cities)
immediately gains the corresponding number of points on the
Income Track. No other player may gain points for the same Major
Line thereafter.

Here's the historical background:
Major Lines were first introduced with the Eastern US map. The Major Line cards should be on display at the beginning of the game. They are only scored once by the first player to make the Major Line connection.

In later maps the Major Lines are printed on the board - and with the recent reprint coming out very soon all maps will have them printed on the board.

Pro Tip
When a player completes the Major lines, it is useful for them to place one of their locomotive markers on the board (or card) to show all players it has already been claimed and is no longer available for scoring.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: ninjaninjaninja Ninja'd 3 times. I am getting slow in my old age. Having the cards come out randomly is subpar because 1 OR MORE players may have already completed them. Much better to have them come into play at game start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome, thanks! We did really enjoy the game (aside from the one player in last place who got a little salty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All, fwiw, I think we should now all be using the consolidated rulebook from the 10th anniversary edition to resolve rules questions. The put some effort into resolving this stuff. There's a copy in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:
I don't have the rules to refer to now, and I can't find them online. I felt bad, because one player basically gave up halfway through the game because I was so far ahead.

The new, comprehensive, definitive rule book is just about to come out (in print form) when the 10th Anniversary Core Set releases in the very near future. A pdf of it was just recently posted in the files section. You should be able to find it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.