Subject: Box size / shipping cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sanderson
Bermuda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big games boxes - the rationale used to be that it stands out on the shelf in the shop, and makes people more likely to pick it up and buy it, and also can increase how much people are willing to pay.

But in the age of online shopping, how important is this?

How much could game and shipping costs be reduced by scaling down box sizes to the minimum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was only one of several reasons for larger boxes than just what the components demand. Here are some additional reasons:

1) Standard box sizes makes manufacturing cheaper
2) Room for expansions (yes, they DO take that into consideration)
3) Protecting components while shipping - there's a reason when most games are packed, they try to leave space around the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and this isn't about retailers, it's about publishing, so this should probably be in the General Gaming forum, not here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the exact minimum needed for components can actually be a bit annoying. Take, for example, Ambyria: Shroud of the Shadow Demon. Four decks of cards, plus a few player aid cards, plus a rulebook. The box has an insert to divide the four decks, with the rules over the top, and has absolutely no more space.

Great! No wasted space. But if the box top shifts at all in transit the cards at the top of the box slide around a bit, leading to possible damage. There's no room to bag or sleeve the cards. I need to carefully store this one when I have it in my game bag. A bit more space allowing a way to more secure the contents would be nice.

An example the other way is Wasteland Express Delivery Service. A great insert holding all the components, and stuff fits exactly. But I was instructed to place some of the empty punchboards below the bottom of the insert, meaning the box is larger than it strictly needs to be. There's a good reason for that though. I'll be able to pull those punchboards to add an expansion to the main box when one is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use FedEx for most of my shipping. Most of the time FedEx charges me based on "dim weight", that is "the weight of a standard package at those dimensions".

For a 14x12x6 box, pretty common for shipping a single game, I am charged based on 8 lbs. Most of the time my package weighs less than 4 lbs.

It appears to be a difference of about 10%, which isn't terrible. But it can make a large difference with bigger packages ($3-4/package).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Having the exact minimum needed for components can actually be a bit annoying. Take, for example, Ambyria: Shroud of the Shadow Demon. Four decks of cards, plus a few player aid cards, plus a rulebook. The box has an insert to divide the four decks, with the rules over the top, and has absolutely no more space.

Great! No wasted space. But if the box top shifts at all in transit the cards at the top of the box slide around a bit, leading to possible damage. There's no room to bag or sleeve the cards. I need to carefully store this one when I have it in my game bag. A bit more space allowing a way to more secure the contents would be nice.

An example the other way is Wasteland Express Delivery Service. A great insert holding all the components, and stuff fits exactly. But I was instructed to place some of the empty punchboards below the bottom of the insert, meaning the box is larger than it strictly needs to be. There's a good reason for that though. I'll be able to pull those punchboards to add an expansion to the main box when one is released.

In cases like the card game I may be willing to ditch the insert, since you are going to organize the cards in bags. But it's not an easy decision

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly I'd rather a box be too big than fit everything perfectly snug. Some of the worse organizational nightmares for me are games that fit snug but also expect you to put a dozen different types of cards into a single card well, stacked vertically. Pandemic and Dead of Winter were probably the worst. Luckily there's plenty of third party options for inserts to help.

I've got only one game in my collection that suffers from too much space in the box, and that's Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.