Paperback» Forums » Variants

Subject: Including "all wild" as Hardback...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've more of a question than a proposal, after using Hardback mechanics of "any card can be used as wild", could this mechanic be used in Paperback as well?
I would definitely help in building up longer words (and therefore get faster to the end game) but i would help people with less English skill to get cards that are usually eternally avoided.

Did anyone already try something like this? would it even work at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would negatively impact the balance of card abilities such as “gain 1cent for each wild used in word” or “or gain X if no wilds used” there’s several abilities influenced by the fact that wilds are limited. That’s the first thought that comes to my mind.

But the best way to find out is to try it! Then let us all know how it went for you!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, flipping a card to use as a 1 cent wild will usually be a loss of revenue as many (most?) of the purchased cards are worth more than 1 cent -- plus you lose the card's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
The point is that since the card flipped is extremely easy to detect, it wouldn’t be too difficult for the card “gain one cent for each wild in the word” to Ben explained as “it’s worth only for the non flipped wilds” (i’m Fairly sure there’s a better way to explain it but... well.. it to get my point across).

So I do expect few minor tweaks.. but overall i’ve sen So rarely cards as X or K to be picked up.. my though was if this would help that to be resolved in a certain way and if anyone sees a game breaking situation.

I’ll probably give it a try...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.