• [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
That person is devastatingly reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see someone acknowledge and use his privilege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He said it's getting harder to enjoy the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a curmudgeonly guy in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmb
Dale Hansen is a local DFW sportscaster who has impressed me with his commentaries on social issues such as this. He was even profiled in the NY Times last year for the popularity of his opinions. See https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/sports/football/dale-hans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
He unfortunately repeats the false statistic of 18 school shootings. But otherwise it's a good commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
He unfortunately repeats the false statistic of 18 school shootings. But otherwise it's a good commentary.

It's only false if you redefine things to make it false.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-many-school-shootings-...

We cannot even agree on the definition of "school shooting", and the organization that came out with the 18 shootings stat defines it fairly broadly, but I tend to agree with their definition, anytime a weapon is discharged on school grounds, it can be traumatic for students. Although they are being broad in their definition of "school shooting", they are at least being honest about what they are calling a "school shooting".

I don't think injury count should have anything to do, with the fact that a gun was indeed fired, on school grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

No, it's false because almost all of the school shootings included in the original list of 18 aren't anything like what happened in Parkland and had no potential to be. They are more akin to normal criminal activity, stupidity or accidents.

They shouldn't happen. But they are entirely different sorts of things that require different analysis and solutions.

A third-grader grabbing the trigger of an officer's gun, accidentally firing it, is not a "school shooting" in any meaningful way. Neither is a kid killing himself in the bathroom. Or a guy getting shot off-campus after a fight that started in an after-school basketball game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
whac3 wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

No, it's false because almost all of the school shootings included in the original list of 18 aren't anything like what happened in Parkland and had no potential to be. They are more akin to normal criminal activity, stupidity or accidents.

They shouldn't happen. But they are entirely different sorts of things that require different analysis and solutions.

A third-grader grabbing the trigger of an officer's gun, accidentally firing it, is not a "school shooting" in any meaningful way. Neither is a kid killing himself in the bathroom. Or a guy getting shot off-campus after a fight that started in an after-school basketball game.

No, they're not mass shooting sure but they are people firing a gun on school grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:

Any country in which you can talk about these events as if they are so unimportant that they are insignificant is fucked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:

How about over 18 people killed with guns on school property. Better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at this video again, and again, I have determined that this guy is so on point, in everything he states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

Any country in which you can talk about these events as if they are so unimportant that they are insignificant is fucked up.

That would be fucked up. But of course I didn't say that.

You are bickering over words I didn't use in order to disagree with something I didn't say. What I did say here and elsewhere in RSP very clearly and which I am going to say again very clearly is that the list contains many incidents which are wildly dissimilar and require different types of prevention.

The solution to "disturbed teen arms himself to the teeth and massacres former fellow students" is not the same solution to "third-grader touches the trigger of an officer's gun, accidentally firing it" is not the same solution to "depressed kid kills himself in the bathroom with a gun" is not the same solution to "a fight over a basketball game later results in someone getting shot outside the school" is not the same solution to "kid pulls the trigger of a training weapon believing it is not loaded" is not the same solution to "kid brings a gun to school to show it around and it accidentally goes off."

An advocacy group created that list in the wake of a grisly, traumatic, mass shooting at a school and disingenuously made the claim of 18 school shootings in six weeks. They hijacked the emotion and anger of the moment to create the false impression that our schools are a nightmarish, gun-besotted Hellscape where kids are served up as sacrificial lambs on a near daily basis. When, in fact, our schools are one of the safest places our kids can be and safer, even, than their homes.

In any other discussion about any other topic, people here would rush to find nuance, warn against proposing similar solutions to dissimilar problems and point out any comparison of apples to oranges. That's what I am attempting to do, and in return you are making things up about my argument.

Many of the things on that list are not meaningfully "school shootings" in the context of this discussion and the national discussion going on in the wake of the Parkland massacre. Not because they are not meaningful or because they didn't happen in schools or because they weren't shootings, but because they're not really the same sort of things that the national attention is focused on right now.

I don't fucking care if you apologize for flat-out stating that I think some deaths or injuries of children are insignificant or unimportant. But I deserve one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you link Youtube?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:
He said it's getting harder to enjoy the day.
That's what she said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
DavidDearlove wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

You're mistaking despair with apathy; cynicism with a lack of empathy.

I think all Americans care and want to do something such that Parklanbd, Sandy Hook or Columbine never happen again. But there is a lack of consensus on what that should entail, mixed with some huge politically entrenched special interests out to weaponize any comment in the culture on this topic. Cynicism, perhaps, is the only truly rational response- there are no easy fixes here.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

That would be fucked up. But of course I didn't say that.

You are bickering over words I didn't use in order to disagree with something I didn't say. What I did say here and elsewhere in RSP very clearly and which I am going to say again very clearly is that the list contains many incidents which are wildly dissimilar and require different types of prevention.

The solution to "disturbed teen arms himself to the teeth and massacres former fellow students" is not the same solution to "third-grader touches the trigger of an officer's gun, accidentally firing it" is not the same solution to "depressed kid kills himself in the bathroom with a gun" is not the same solution to "a fight over a basketball game later results in someone getting shot outside the school" is not the same solution to "kid pulls the trigger of a training weapon believing it is not loaded" is not the same solution to "kid brings a gun to school to show it around and it accidentally goes off."

An advocacy group created that list in the wake of a grisly, traumatic, mass shooting at a school and disingenuously made the claim of 18 school shootings in six weeks. They hijacked the emotion and anger of the moment to create the false impression that our schools are a nightmarish, gun-besotted Hellscape where kids are served up as sacrificial lambs on a near daily basis. When, in fact, our schools are one of the safest places our kids can be and safer, even, than their homes.

In any other discussion about any other topic, people here would rush to find nuance, warn against proposing similar solutions to dissimilar problems and point out any comparison of apples to oranges. That's what I am attempting to do, and in return you are making things up about my argument.

Many of the things on that list are not meaningfully "school shootings" in the context of this discussion and the national discussion going on in the wake of the Parkland massacre. Not because they are not meaningful or because they didn't happen in schools or because they weren't shootings, but because they're not really the same sort of things that the national attention is focused on right now.

I don't fucking care if you apologize for flat-out stating that I think some deaths or injuries of children are insignificant or unimportant. But I deserve one.

I apologise if I gave you offence. "You" in this case in British English is plural and replaced "one" which is now too posh.
However your post (which I did not quote in full"
Describes these events are "They are more akin to normal criminal activity, stupidity or accidents."
This is the point. All these events would be so extreme in the UK that they would make the national news.
Everyone knows school kids are stupid, so we keep them away from guns as much as is possible. A kid killing themselves in a school with a gun would probably lead on the news. The fact that this is a lesser category that you can announce are nor school shootings because you have a more extreme category of school massacres makes my point.
Obviously you are against them I never said you weren't, but you seemed almost dismissive. "normalcriminal activity? WTF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't understand people who love their guns more than I love my children. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
darnheather wrote:
I can't understand people who love their guns more than I love my children. soblue
They don't even need that level of love, they just need to love their guns more than they love your children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:

The solution to all of those is no guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.