Wade Souza
msg tools
Hey y'all! My name is Wade. First of all, BGG has really helped through this process. I appreciate this community very much and have just been taking in as much as possible from you. Thanks!

Anyways, I'm from Dallas and I'm a few months into crafting my 1st game - a baseball TCG set in a dystopian America (Man in the High Castle-like alternate history, but a Divergent/The Giver/Hunger Games-feel).I'm developing a group to help provide on-going feedback to determine the best characters for my game, creatively deepen these characters, or maybe even create more compelling characters altogether. Each player belongs to a team from a certain city, as well as belongs to one of 6 factions (as well as a certain sub-faction) that influences the player's identity, attributes, special ability, mechanics of abilities, and adversaries/advantages. In all these variables, I am trying to infuse as much flavor and creativity as possible. I am confident collaboration and community will only enhance what I've created, thus far. If you are interested in contributing to this project, please message me and I'll give you more details about the game, my vision, and how you can help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love deck construction games like Magic and Netrunner, but I hate the Trading / Collectible Card game model (like Magic but NOT Netrunner). I look forward to learning more about your game, but I really hope you reconsider and go toward a standardized expansion model like FFG's Living card games or the more generic "expandable card game" idea.

Here's James Mathe's excellent piece on the matter:
http://www.jamesmathe.com/to-ccg-or-not-to-ccg-that-is-the-q...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Souza
msg tools
Thank you very much for the link and advice, Brendan!

I absolutely love deck building games too, but you and the article are likely right that following a Magic model may not be wise, profitable, or even feasible. I will look into the Living Card or expandable card game idea more.

Do you have any suggestions for navigating the inherent tension between creating a game with a lot of character cards/options for deck building at the expense of character art or making a game with higher quality art with less characters/options?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StitchbyStitch wrote:
Thank you very much for the link and advice, Brendan!

I absolutely love deck building games too, but you and the article are likely right that following a Magic model may not be wise, profitable, or even feasible. I will look into the Living Card or expandable card game idea more.

Do you have any suggestions for navigating the inherent tension between creating a game with a lot of character cards/options for deck building at the expense of character art or making a game with higher quality art with less characters/options?



I think you need both, I'm afraid. For a deck construction game to work, players need to be engaged with the cards and enjoy the interactions of them. They need to be easily recognized across the table, so you can't re-use art. It's a sticky wicket, to be sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Offtopic. But Id strongly suggest going with a standard cardgame rather than a CCG. The CCG bubble burst 20 years ago and Id rather not see another good game and/or budding publisher added to the graveyard of companies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Offtopic. But Id strongly suggest going with a standard cardgame rather than a CCG. The CCG bubble burst 20 years ago and Id rather not see another good game and/or budding publisher added to the graveyard of companies.


That was the first thing I wrote, John.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
You should also check out Baseball Highlights 2045. Its setting is pretty different from what you've described but its also a card game about baseball.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Offtopic. But Id strongly suggest going with a standard cardgame rather than a CCG. The CCG bubble burst 20 years ago and Id rather not see another good game and/or budding publisher added to the graveyard of companies.


That was the first thing I wrote, John.


It bears repeating. ALOT. yuk
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Souza
msg tools


Here's the newest update on my work-in-progress... Everything is just intended to be functional placeholders, but should give you a better idea of my vision. I've cut ties with a TCG idea and have transformed my rosters from 21-14 players to cut down on costs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sims
United States
Hillsboro
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. Like the others said, I'd shy away from making it a CCG/TCG and do the other format.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StitchbyStitch wrote:


Here's the newest update on my work-in-progress... Everything is just intended to be functional placeholders, but should give you a better idea of my vision. I've cut ties with a TCG idea and have transformed my rosters from 21-14 players to cut down on costs.


Whoa, there's a LOT happening on this card. I can see how it's inspired by baseball cards. But it's pretty overwhelming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, just looking at the card I think I see what is going on.

(I have not read the rules... just looked at the card.)

You are rolling 3 6 sided dice and comparing their results to the table. I assume there is a pitchers die roll first to see if you even use the batters card.

Similar to Avalon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball.

My question would be... Why would people play this game over one of the standard baseball games now? You have the real world MLB stuff.. and that certainly draws people.

And the fast paced "fake" stuff. (Baseball highlights, bottom of the 9th etc.) I am not sure there is a market for a long "fake" baseball game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.