Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam P
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game and totally excited to play! I have an opportunity to place this Monday with 2 others - from what I've seen and read, 2p is awesome; however, how do you all feel about the 3p free for all? Is it worth it for 3 first-timers?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! 3 player free for all is my primary play style since my core gaming group is 3 people. Definitely a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it out. If you find 1 player seems to get knocked out fast you can try tweaking the rules for 3p as follows. So that one player doesn't get killed off too fast if the random selection to target falls bad for one of the players, tweak the rule so that you always target the healthiest player . Also start with 40 health instead of 30. Those changes makes for a fun 3p free-for-all in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tolczyk
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
BalsaWood wrote:
Try it out. If you find 1 player seems to get knocked out fast you can try tweaking the rules for 3p as follows. So that one player doesn't get killed off too fast if the random selection to target falls bad for one of the players, tweak the rule so that you always target the healthiest player . Also start with 40 health instead of 30. Those changes makes for a fun 3p free-for-all in my opinion.

Team Dice Throne actually has a variant if you're not a fan of the random dice pick in FFA. You get to pick your target but if you pick the player with the highest health you get to draw a card. I believe it will be added to the rule book for Season 2 as it's received a lot of positive feedback from the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Cryptolinguist wrote:
BalsaWood wrote:

Team Dice Throne actually has a variant if you're not a fan of the random dice pick in FFA. You get to pick your target but if you pick the player with the highest health you get to draw a card. I believe it will be added to the rule book for Season 2 as it's received a lot of positive feedback from the community.

I like this game a lot.

I hope that such a rule doesn't inadvertently force you to attack the player with the most life.

That one card is pretty significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryptolinguist wrote:
BalsaWood wrote:

Do you mind linking this so we can see? Not that I don't believe you of course But maybe I'd peruse to see what else I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can confirm that we are in testing on a FFA variant. Daniel is one our playtesters and the guy who runs all of our con demo gaming area.

The variant is pretty simple.

1- Freely target whomever you want.

2- If you attack the leader (health) you draw a card.

Stipulations.

a- If you are the leader you don't get the card bonus.
b- If you are tied with the leader you don't get the card.
c- The person who goes first does not skip their income.

I don't think this variant is best with families or with non-gamers. If i were teaching new players I wouldn't use this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the following variant used in other 3p games (I use it for StarRealms, etc)

1. Freely target whomever you want.

2. Game ends when any player is eliminated. The surviving player with the most health remaining wins!

This works with 3 or more players, and usually means everyone gets targeted equally, and no player elimination (as game ends immediately)

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReqMan wrote:
What about the following variant used in other 3p games (I use it for StarRealms, etc)

1. Freely target whomever you want.

2. Game ends when any player is eliminated. The surviving player with the most health remaining wins!

This works with 3 or more players, and usually means everyone gets targeted equally, and no player elimination (as game ends immediately)

Any thoughts?

I actually really like this idea. One of the things I don't like in any game is player elimination, as it means not everyone is involved at all times. Plus there's the natural element of "I'm not going for the kill unless I know I'm in first, but I risk the damage/something going wrong by going for the kill" mentality. I'm going to give this a try next time we do a FFA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this will unbalance more defensive (but possibly weaker attack) heroes and thus limit design space somewhat. They would excel in that type of meta which in turn means they will have to be ganged up on more... which is also not fun. I would rather the current random system with balanced heroes.... but am a strong believer in sanctioned/tested variants so think this could certainly be a fun one (just not what I would want as a default)

My favorite MTG mode started out this way (commander)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about a similar variant as ReqMan.
The only difference being, that when a player is eliminated, a doom-counter starts. It starts at 2 or 3, or whatever the players decide. And then whenever it is the eliminated player's turn, he ticks down the doom-counter by 1. When it is at 0, the game ends, and highest health wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obelisk Sparrow
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Same here but notice the strategy of heroes like Paladin or Thief, we usually go for one who has most [HP + CP]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I gave the "Game ends when any player is eliminated, highest health left wins" a few tries and we found that big damage dealers (like the Barbarian) could snipe low-health targets much more easily than other heroes. It would remain balanced right up until heroes were around the 10 HP mark, where it became a little volatile. So while it does solve the player elimination problem, it felt a little biased towards the right heroes once they were in a position to win and they had the right dice roll and cards to play. We saw lots of "all-in" plays at that point cuz they wouldn't have to worry about the aftermath, either.

On the other hand, the "draw a card when you damage the player with the highest health" variant balanced out heroes damaging each other. Unless we had a player who was being a real d***, most people are quite enticed by the card draw. By the time the first hero was out, it wouldn't take too much more time before the game would end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.