Hide
3 Posts

Fallout: Wasteland Warfare» Forums » News

Subject: DEVELOPMENT BLOG #8: Narrative Systems Part 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon D
msg tools
It looks like a new development blog entry is up - Happy reading!

https://www.modiphius.com/development-blog.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lakoduk
msg tools
This is the info I've been wanting to see the most about the game. It is what really helps make this game unique when compared to other miniatures games.

I'm curious what the settlement system will be like at the start. Will we start with absolutely nothing or will we have some basic structures from the start?

Exploring has potential. But its probably best saved for advanced players. A minor disadvantage can be a lot more painful for them. That or I'd let them keep an advantages and allow them to ignore any disadvantages. I tend to go easy on new players until they have a firm grasp of a game.

I'd love to see a video of them playing a quest.

Looking forward to the next update on the narrative system and solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sheahan
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Berks
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keith,

Glad you’re excited about what you’re hearing. Your insights are well-tuned, and I can help fill in a few details for you.

When using the Settlement rules, you get some starting buildings. I much prefer systems that get you straight into things rather than the painful process of buying the infrastructure which doesn’t deliver any extra gameplay. So, you start with a couple of small generators (to power your structures), a Stores (so you can take 1 card (or 2 Boosts) into battle), a Maintenance Shed (so you can retain one card from a battle) and a Listening Post (so you can pay to go Exploring). Similarly, if you buy a Perk that lets you mod weapons or armour, you get a free workbench/station structure too which allows you to draw 1 mod card to use straight away - again, because it’s unsatisfying if you can buy the ability to do something but not use it.

Exploring is done by drawing from the Explore deck. Most involve a test and/or choice about what you do so you have some agency in the outcome. Often you can get one outcome for sure or risk it for a better or worse outcome. One of my favourites is being trapped in the Faneuil Hall basement which says 'Cornered by Super Mutants in the basement gift shop, you see a missile launcher. Maybe that could open the fire exit.' You draw 3 Items and then choose to either run for it now with just 1 of the Items OR make a Heavy Weapon test - if you succeed, you escape out the fire exit with all 3 Items, but fail and you leave with nothing just so you can escape. (This card is going through final approval so may change, but it gives you an idea.) Some Explore cards have positive effects for your next battle, and some negative; however, these effects are limited so they don’t sway a game too much, such as a model starting with 1 damage or a Stun token. You’re right though that players with a smaller settlement will have fewer opportunities to mitigate these negative effects; however, they’re still quite small and you don’t have to explore further if you don't want to.

More details will be coming very soon, including videos.

Cheers,

James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.