15 Posts

Great Western Trail: Rails to the North» Forums » News

Subject: Updated Artwork and Interview (German) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Summers
msg tools
Looks like the artwork has changed a little going by the picture here:

https://www.brettspiegel.de/specials/5-fragen-zu-interviews/...

Google Translate of the interview:

5 questions on "Great Western Trail - Rails to the North" (extension)

Hello Mr. Pfister, soon the extension to the successful game "Great Western Trail" appears.

1) What can the players expect?

At "Rails to the North" there are new cities that can be connected. You expand north and reach cities that can bring you skills, cheap black discs, or you can put a stationmaster. This results in new strategies and instead of one-dimensional delivery you have to make tricky decisions. The game is thus faithful: There are now even more ways to the goal. Since the bonuses are distributed differently in each game, you have to adjust even more to the current display, so there are more ways to dispose of cards or hire a new person or to come to cows.
I find a tile particularly good, which one surrenders, in order to be able to exchange 2 cards at any time. This reduces chance in Kansas City and you have to think carefully about when to use that ability. In the course of a game, you get about 3 such tiles that you want to be well divided.
The extension is intuitive, not many rules are added. The basic rules are even the same, you just get a new help action, which is created below the player tableau. With this relief action you can expand to the north, but you have to drop a 2 cow. If you have a double cow twice, that's an advantage. If you want to expand quickly, you will weaken your card hand, but later you will have the advantage of better delivery options - an interesting dilemma!

2) At what point in time was it clear that an extension had to be developed?

The publisher approached me in the summer. The game is ranked # 9 on boardgamegeek, the largest international community, top 10 of the best games ever! Of course, this is a great honor for me, even though I realize that there are mainly many players voting there. An extension was desired by many.

3) What influence has the editor Viktor Kobilke, who already participated in the basic game, taken in this expansion?

It soon became clear to me which direction I would like to go. I worked it out and sent Viktor a prototype. He then refined and tested further.

4) Were there any difficulties and hurdles in the development? If yes, which?

Actually, it went very well. In the north, a new plan is created, which must also cover parts of the old game plan. Viktor did a fantastic job with a foldable plan, so everything fits perfectly and does not slip.

5) What do you personally think of extensions? What advantages and disadvantages do you see in these?

Sometimes you hear that extensions are money making. That's not true, because an expansion sells only a fraction of the base game, but it's still a lot of work - of course less than a whole new game to develop, but it still has to be designed and tested at significantly lower sales. For me, an extension enriches the base game. You can incorporate feedback from the players. Even if you often test a game before publishing, thousands of games after that bring always new insights. Therefore, when I approach an extension, I always listen to player feedback first. What did not you like so much? Which strategy is perhaps too strong? What has arrived well and can be weighted even more? An expansion is rarely a "must", but who likes a game and often plays, for him or her, an extension is an asset.

Thank you for the interview!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this!

For those who might be wondering:

plan == board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the extension board sit on top of the exiting board ? It looks like it overlaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
samc1078 wrote:
Does the extension board sit on top of the exiting board ? It looks like it overlaps.

It does! It is folded and has the same hight as the game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice improvement on the artwork, it looked a little bland before. Well, it still does a little, but at least it's better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, now I can make sense of what that square with four branchlets printed on it was in the first picture: a starting branchlet for every player so you can start expanding your network before your first delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
AlexP wrote:
samc1078 wrote:

It does! It is folded and has the same hight as the game board.

I'm not sure if you're holding back information for a larger announcement at some point, but I wonder if you'd be able to tell us more about the way it works? So I assume that you can deliver to Denver as a cheaper alternative to Albuquerque, a quicker way of getting rid of a black disc? But are there any conditions for delivering to Denver (other than having 8 cow points, of course), from the board it looks like you may have to deliver to Chicago first, to 'unlock' that stretch of railway? Would you have to also build a town on the first square of four white squares on the track? Or maybe just one branchlet, not all four?

Thank you so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct: First you deliver to Chicago, than you build a branchlet in order to have a connection to Denver. There you can deliver for only 8 cow-points. And furthermore you can build some branchlets to get a connection to San Francisco. Therefore, if your first delivery goes to Kansas City, which is still a viable begining, you loose one turn.
Branchlets are build via a new auxiliary action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I’m really an okay guy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know all the attention is on the major changes to the train deliveries, but can I just say building 12b looks like it will give a much-needed boost to the craftsman strategy.

Thank you Alexander for making this terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlington Beech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
Correct: First you deliver to Chicago, than you build a branchlet in order to have a connection to Denver. There you can deliver for only 8 cow-points. And furthermore you can build some branchlets to get a connection to San Francisco. Therefore, if your first delivery goes to Kansas City, which is still a viable begining, you loose one turn.

Thanks a lot for the info, sounds awesome and fun!

Any chance to include a new score pad with the expansion? I have less than 10 sheets left...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no. I think you have to make some copies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlington_Beech wrote:
Any chance to include a new score pad with the expansion? I have less than 10 sheets left...

There's a code floating around that makes these pads like these $2.50[?] each with free shipping.
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/memopad/gwtpad-lgwcmnlzc91o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlington Beech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamzimmer wrote:
Arlington_Beech wrote:

There's a code floating around that makes these pads like these $2.50[?] each with free shipping.
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/memopad/gwtpad-lgwcmnlzc91o

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
https://twitter.com/London_on_Board/status/97494635686235750...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlington_Beech wrote:
AlexP wrote:

Thanks a lot for the info, sounds awesome and fun!

I'm using UltraPro Top Loaders fir this purpose (link below). They come in different size. Just find the right one, slip one scoring sheet inside and use a non-permanent marker then clean it with a wet paper towel. Pretty cheap alternative and one sheet will last forever.
www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1413

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.