Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that I do realize there are multiple forums devoted to comparing Vital Lacerda's games, primarily the complexity of each. My question is regarding length of average game. While I love The Gallerist, my group has only played a few times, because our games were so long (in the 3 hour+ range, for 4p). So now, along comes Lisboa, which looks absolutely beautiful and right up my group's alley (in terms of game play). But...how long is it? For real, how long? And I don't mean how long does the box say. Boxes always lie. How long will it actually take four people to play? And know that we'll never become four experts who play it weekly and can jam through a game because we have all learned content and strategy super well. It will hit the table every couple of months, in the game rotation. I'm interested in picking up a copy, based on the look and theme and game play, but will probably skip it if it's as long and involved as The Gallerist. Or maybe I'll try to trade The Gallerist for a copy of Lisboa? I only want so many super complex, lengthy games; they just don't hit the table often enough.

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
When you are fully familiar with the game. 2-2/12 should work. The number of players effects the length only barely due to the card mechanism that ends the game.

As a group we love both games, however Lisboa is a bit better in our opinion. I talked to The designer at Origins last year and Lisboa was a labor of love for him, as he is from Lisbon.

If your group liked The Gallerist they will love Lisboa.

Respectfully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisboa will take 3+ hours, especially if you don't play it very often. The player aids are actually booklets that explain the cards and tiles and until you become familiar with them players will be flipping through the booklet throughout the game. That being said, I love both games, but I like Lisboa a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, they are pretty close to the same length, but I do think that Lisboa runs a bit longer perhaps due to the frequent need to look up what effect is provided by clergy tiles, decree cards, etc.

Additionally, adding length, there are the somewhat rare "Church scoring" breaks in Lisboa that have no analogue in The Gallerist. Moreover, the break between the two "halves" of the game seems a bit more involved in Lisboa than the analogous mid-game break in The Gallerist.

Personally, I would try The Gallerist again without any new players if possible. The last time I played it, it was right around 30 minutes per player when everyone has played it at least once or twice (not experts by any means).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.