Hide
14 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Best rules for 5 or 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J D
msg tools
So I only have the base game (2nd edition) but recently discovered it and am keen to get some friends interested in playing dominion this weekend. Good chance there could be 5/6 of us.

When I've looked, intrigue 2nd edition doesn't seem to have the extra base cards anymore. The extra base game box seems to have money and province cards with older artwork, which doesn't appeal to me. And none of my friends are willing to buy a second copy at this point - there may not even be more than 4 and/or we may yet play a different game.

So using just the dominion 2nd edition box cards, what are the best rules to use for 5-6 players?

I've only played a few games and they would all be new to it so it doesn't need to be tournament rules, just fun and balanced.

I'm leaning towards 4 card piles empty and making it provinces plus dutchies to end the game. Thoughts? Should I use 12 kingdom cards or the standard 10?

An alternative could be using 3 or 4 of the blank cards as provinces though well still be short on the other cards, and short of provinces if 6 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Use 12 + 3 cards for each player over 4 players. This is for duchies, provinces and ::shoot:: whatever the starting 1 pt cards are.

BUT this is my real advice for you. Don't play 5-6 players. Especially with new players. I love Dominion. I have played it over 100 times, but every single time I have played with more than 4 players it has drug out way more than you would think.

Not a good way to introduce players. Dominon is great when it is 30-45 mins when it goes 60-75min even I don't like to play it. Also I would suggest keep attacks to a minimum maybe even non existent for the first game so people can build up without having to fight past attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If these are new players, don't worry about balanced. You don't have the cards for that. Just use what you have. MAYBE add 3 or 6 Gardens to the Province pile to act as proxy Provinces, but keep in mind that will just make the game last longer.

Do not add any more piles. End the game when the Provinces are gone OR any 4 piles (that's the official rule for 5 or 6 players), or house rule 3 piles (to end faster). You have the rules, as you know.

This will let folks learn the game, but I wouldn't play more than once or twice this way. You really need those extra cards to balance play.

For myself, I never play with 6, and avoid 5, but will do it now and then. There's just too much downtime with 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
End the game when the Provinces are gone OR any 4 piles (that's the official rule), or house rule 3 piles (to end faster). You have the rules, as you know.

Did this change in second edition? It was always three piles in 1st Ed. and we almost never met that goal anyway it was almost always provinces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Whizkid wrote:
End the game when the Provinces are gone OR any 4 piles (that's the official rule), or house rule 3 piles (to end faster). You have the rules, as you know.

Did this change in second edition? It was always three piles in 1st Ed. and we almost never met that goal anyway it was almost always provinces.
It's the same in first and second edition. Games with 5 or 6 players end with Provinces or any 4 piles (or Colonies if they are in play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Split into 2 groups of three. If you have the components for a 5-6 player game, you have the components for two 3-player (or a 2 and a 3-player) and everyone will have a much better time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malletman wrote:
Split into 2 groups of three. If you have the components for a 5-6 player game, you have the components for two 3-player (or a 2 and a 3-player) and everyone will have a much better time.

They don't have the components for a 5-6 player game, though. It's written right in the OP.

And also your statement is false these days. The new Big Box has enough basic cards to play a 5 or 6 player game, but not enough for two 3-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa! The game has an expansion for 5-6 player games?

Did not know this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Did not know this.

Well, not exactly. If you own both base game and Intrigue (the First edition - see the comment bellow), you have twice the base cards and you can use them to play 5-6 player games. It's mentioned in the rules of Intrigue, I think.

However, I've played 6 player only once, and really do not want to repeat that experience. There are many games which are better suited for 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

It's the same in first and second edition. Games with 5 or 6 players end with Provinces or any 4 piles (or Colonies if they are in play).
Often forgotten is only diff. between 5p and 6p are:
5p uses 15 Provinces, while 6p uses 18
Also, 40 Curses vs. 50
Ditto with Ruins if playing with the appropriate cards from Dark Ages

Juliusan wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Did not know this.

Well, not exactly. If you own both base game and Intrigue, you have twice the base cards and you can use them to play 5-6 player games. It's mentioned in the rules of Intrigue, I think.

However, I've played 6 player only once, and really do not want to repeat that experience. There are many games which are better suited for 6 players.
One issue is, the 5p and 6p counts are to get non gamers to play. Some simply, will, not, split up, to play games. In those cases, it's either 5p/6p Dominion, or 5p/6p Munchkin, Uno, Fluxx, what have you Plus, with all that downtime, folks have used it to chit chat and catch up on gossip. A sort of "2 birds with one stone" type scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juliusan wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Did not know this.

Well, not exactly. If you own both base game and Intrigue, you have twice the base cards and you can use them to play 5-6 player games. It's mentioned in the rules of Intrigue, I think.

No not exactly either. The Second Edition of Intrigue doesn't include the extra cards, but those cards can be purchased in a small yellow box. So it is easier and less expensive than tracking down an old out of print version of Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juliusan wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Did not know this.

I find Dominion at greater than 4 player to be extremely painful. As much as I love Dominion, I'd rather split into two 3-player games or play something more suited to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would prefer to split into 2 three-player groups for Dominion, but the rest of my gaming group would prefer that everyone play together -- the social aspect of gaming outweighs the prospect of getting more Dominion games in.

As a result, I've played hundreds of games of 5-6 player Dominion. Those telling you how painful 6-player Dominion is to play, based on a handful or even a single experience, are likely comparing it to the experience of playing at a lower player count. 6-player takes substantially longer to play and has significantly more downtime, enough that sometimes you are finished shuffling before your turn comes around again.

In addition, the strategy and worth of cards can differ significantly from lower player count. Pirate Ship is a lame card with 2 players, but extreme powerful with 6. Ignoring Witch in a two-player game will kill you, but can be safely ignored in a 6-player game as long as multiple other players go for it. Any engine strategy that requires a certain number of kingdom cards can fail -- if you need more than 2 of a particular kingdom card, there's no guarantee you can get it. High variance strategies are more valuable. In many ways it is a different game.

However, it is not in any way shape or form a *bad* game, in fact it is by far my favorite at that player count. Many games don't even support six players, and many of the games that do are very light, or suffer from the same length/downtime issues without having anything near the variety and elegance that Dominion provides. The most common reaction for couples I've introduced to Dominion in a six-player setting is "where can I get this?" Would they have liked it even more if they had learned it at a lower player count? Quite possible; but when boardgaming is primarily a social event rather than a gaming event, you work with what you have instead of what you wish you had. If your gaming group happens to be set on playing 5-6 players games, don't be afraid to play Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.