Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened DI and have a few questions:

1. It says the 7 Lucky Gods are available only to DI clans and are added to the available cards each season. Is there an advantage to the DI clans if only 1 DI clan is in play? Just thinking that only that player would have a choice of the 7 LG and so doesn't have to worry about missing out. Any thoughts on how this may be alleviated...or is it not a big deal?

2. Is there supposed to be only 1 cardboard mandate/war board? Seems like there should have been 2.

3. Moon Clan Brutality says no more than 2 figures in each Province or in all the Shrines.

3a. The 'all' in Shrines is awkward. Does this mean only 2 total figures among ALL 3 Shrines or only 2 figures at any 1 Shrine?

3b. The 'or' seems like it may be either 2 total in each Province OR 2 figures in all the Shrines.

3c. I assume they mean 'no more than 2 figures in any Province or Shrine' but wanted to confirm given the weird grammar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejwrobel wrote:

1. It says the 7 Lucky Gods are available only to DI clans and are added to the available cards each season. Is there an advantage to the DI clans if only 1 DI clan is in play? Just thinking that only that player would have a choice of the 7 LG and so doesn't have to worry about missing out. Any thoughts on how this may be alleviated...or is it not a big deal?

Personally, I wouldn't use just one DI clan. IMO, if you include one, you need both, because otherwise you're right at the one clan has an edge when it comes to purchasing monsters.

Quote:
2. Is there supposed to be only 1 cardboard mandate/war board? Seems like there should have been 2.

No, you just need 1. Officially, DI raises the player count from 5 players to 6 players, so +1 board.

Quote:
3. Moon Clan Brutality says no more than 2 figures in each Province or in all the Shrines.

3a. The 'all' in Shrines is awkward. Does this mean only 2 total figures among ALL 3 Shrines or only 2 figures at any 1 Shrine?

3b. The 'or' seems like it may be either 2 total in each Province OR 2 figures in all the Shrines.

3c. I assume they mean 'no more than 2 figures in any Province or Shrine' but wanted to confirm given the weird grammar...

I believe the rule is intended to mean, "In any given Province, you can have only two figures. Also in any given Shrine, you can have only two figures."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If the DI clan goes just for lucky gods they are going to miss out on all the other cards. I personally dont think its a big deal, I think some of the other upgrades are stronger than the monsters, the only difference is, the monsters will have an immediate impact on the board.

2. You can only play with 6 clans, so 5 in base game and the extra in DI. your fine.

3. a. Only 2 moonclan shinto across all 4 shrines. If they could put all 3 down, no one could beat them.

b. Also on provinces they cant have more than two units, I think the or is just trying to differentiate shrines and provinces. Shrines you cant have more than two units all together, but in the provinces you can have as many as you want, just no more than two units per province.

c. Will agree that it is a little odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
It’s 2 characters per province. Note however monsters and Kami figures count towards that limit.

Also as far as the Lucky Gods. It’s not as big an advantage as you may think. Most of the Gods aren’t good in combat and require careful planning and placement to make good use of. Usually you’re better off grabbing a more universally good season card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkitty wrote:
ejwrobel wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't use just one DI clan. IMO, if you include one, you need both, because otherwise you're right at the one clan has an edge when it comes to purchasing monsters.

I've heard people say the opposite, that having both in a game handicaps each other by having competition for the Lucky Gods, and you should only play with 1 in any given game. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Oliveira
msg tools
Moon clan can only have 2 Shinto across all 4 shrines.

My one game so far only had one Chinese clan, so he had unfettered access to the seven Lucky Gods. A couple of the other players thought this was too powerful. I didn't really see it as a problem. The yokai generally seem more powerful than most of the Lucky Gods, and having a Sun player decreased the Japanese clans' competition for them. Plus, the Chinese clans don't have more access to the Train mandate than anyone else, so they're probably not going to be able to get all of their monsters anyway.

Unless there's some killer combo that we've missed so far, I think it's fine to only have one Dynasty clan in the game. The Sun and Moon clans have weaker bonuses anyway; some exclusive monsters seems like part of their balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think, if you play with any of the extra monsters from the Monster pack or the KSE monsters in the Daimyo Box, this creates a larger pool of monsters for the non-DI clans. Certainly balances things out. I wouldn’t be concerned with the exclusivity of the Lucky gods.

Deflare is correct regarding Moons limitations. It’s a total of 2 Shinto across all shrines. Still four force in the shrines, pretty powerful. Raise your honor quickly and you are almost assured 2 of the 4 shrines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Buntinx
Belgium
Genk
Limburg
flag msg tools
If my calculations are correct, now would be the perfect time to fling poop.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejwrobel wrote:

I've played two games with Dynasty clans on the board, one with Sun, one with Moon.

1. I don't think the Lucky Gods are much of a problem. In both games, only one or two Gods were purchased. The number of gods per season is very limited after Spring: there's only two Gods available. I actually think having both Clans in the game can be a serious disadvantage, especially at low player counts.

2. No, only one is correct. You can play the game with 6 players max and there's 5 boards included in the base game.

3. Moon can have a max of 2 figures per province, and maximum 2 Shinto fighting for Kami (one Shinto on each of two Kami, or two Shinto on a single Kami)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for all the clarifications and thoughts! Looking forward to playing with these clans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chinese gods with japanese warrior names and japanese gods kind of a picard facepalm moment where cmon half commited to a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Moon and Sun dont actually compete for the same lucky gods in the same game usually. Under very specific circumstances (lotus in game, but not allied with either, fully marshal-blocking spring) they would compete for Fukurokuju to get an additional Stronghold MAYBE (though realize it counts as a figure, so recruiting from it is limited to 1).

I would generally not suggest for the Moon clan to invest heavily in lucky gods. The clan is probably the hardest to win at 4+ players, and you need more universally empowering cards, in particular anything that directly nets you VP and/or board presence.

The one exception is a well-placed Ebisu in autumn if you have money troubles. That one is just aces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khaunshar wrote:
Moon and Sun dont actually compete for the same lucky gods in the same game usually. Under very specific circumstances (lotus in game, but not allied with either, fully marshal-blocking spring) they would compete for Fukurokuju to get an additional Stronghold MAYBE (though realize it counts as a figure, so recruiting from it is limited to 1).

Fukurokuju counts as a Stronghold, and this means he counts towards the 4 Stronghold limit - One Clan can not have all 4 Strongholds and Fukurokuju on the map at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Win
Norway
flag msg tools
Zexlaram wrote:

Fukurokuju counts as a Stronghold, and this means he counts towards the 4 Stronghold limit - One Clan can not have all 4 Strongholds and Fukurokuju on the map at the same time.

Is there an official statement somewhere in the expansion book? I might have missed it then since I always assume he's the only way to increase stronghold limit to 5. But then again, stronghold investments are not THAT good and start to decrease in value once you hit 3 strongholds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zexlaram wrote:
Khaunshar wrote:

The stronghold limit is a component limit, not an actual rule. So I am relatively sure if you ever wanted 5 strongholds, you could technically indeed do that.
Be that as it may, I dont see much value in that because its highly likely you would have to buy your last stronghold late in autumn, making it pointless for recruitment purposes pretty much, costing 3 coins just before the most important war phase, just to MAYBE get 3 VPs out of a 4 coin card you bought before - a bad deal, either way.

My argument is that when you are denied strongholds, Fuku can be picked up during a Train mandate, which means you dont have to go into Summer with just 1 stronghold. At our table, Lotus will always marshal-block if they can. ALWAYS. So Fuku sees some play by Sun, as Lotus (wisely) never allies with Sun unless there is a Koi too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If he is our reserve and wish to "build" him during Marshal..
a1) Would he be "paid for" or do we have to pay another 3 coin each time we want to get him on the board in this way..?
a2) If he already paid for, can he be "built" on a Marshal that wasn't played by Sun/Moon or their ally
b) in the core rules, it says if a clan has built all 4 of their strongholds, that they cannot build anymore - does this block Fukurokuju during Marshal

CSR Kisada wrote:

September 04, 2018 16:57
Hello,

Per the FAQ:
FUKUROKUJU
Q: Since he counts as a Stronghold, can Fukurokuju be killed?
A: Yes. The rule that says Strongholds can’t be killed is meant to apply to Stronghold tokens (including the Turtle Strongholds) since tokens can’t be killed (except that the Daikaiju can destroy them). Fukurokuju may commit Seppuku, be killed at the end of a Battle, and be crushed by the Daikaiju. Note that, as a Stronghold, Fukurokuju can be “built” during a Marshal Mandate, if you have him in your reserve

a1) If you play him as a stronghold with the Marshal mandate you will need to pay each time.
a2) As a Marshal, He is not already a paid for.
b) As a stronghold, He is bound by the 4 stronghold limit.
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.