Subject: Russians charged in Mueller Probe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43092085

Breaking news, but looks like Mueller is going full depth with his investigation. Likelihood these gents will ever be tried is next to nil, but it sends a powerful message to Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I figure these names are put out there to communicate with members of the Trump administration.

As in, we know the people on the other side, so you should probably be able to figure out we know who they were in contact with.

I suspect this is a direct message to Jared Kushner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Stunningly, FoxNews had a copy of the indictment:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2018/02/16/indic...

Mueller's indictment seems to paint people with connections to the Trump Campaign as "unwitting" actors duped by duplicitous Russian agents. Wonder if that's where the investigation is going or whether it's cover for some of the previously indicted actors to continue to feed investigators damning information. Either way, it's good that someone in the Executive Branch appears to be taking seriously foreign interference in the 2016 elections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Kumitedad wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Mueller's indictment seems to paint people with connections to the Trump Campaign as "unwitting" actors duped by duplicitous Russian agents. Wonder if that's where the investigation is going or whether it's cover for some of the previously indicted actors to continue to feed investigators damning information. Either way, it's good that someone in the Executive Branch appears to be taking seriously foreign interference in the 2016 elections.

And guess who that is

Quote:
The announcement was made by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating alleged Russian meddling.

Quel Supris !

Well, duh. Now you ruined my "you gotta think about it for a minute" line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

The unwitting may not be exclusive. That is, there may be some unwitting folks ensnared by the Russians but there may well be other witting participants from the campaign.

This indictment basically sets up the underlying crime for the broader conspiracy. More to come, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quotes from a couple CNN articles (emphasis added):

Beginning as early as 2014, the Russian organization Internet Research Agency began operations to interfere with the US political system, including the 2016 elections, according to the indictment, which was released by Mueller's office Friday.

The defendants allegedly posed as US persons, created false US personas, and operated social media pages and groups designed to attract US audiences, the indictment reads.

The Internet Research Agency had a "strategic goal to sow discord in the US political system" including the election, according to the indictment.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/mueller-russia-indic...
___

Russia-linked bots are promoting pro-gun messages on Twitter in an attempt to sow discord in the aftermath of the Florida school shooting, monitoring groups say.
The reason why these accounts seize on shootings like the Parkland school one is not ideological, but to amplify "extreme and divisive causes" in a bid to create "a distracted and weakened US government," Grozev said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/us/russian-bots-florida-shoot...
___

So much winning...by the Russians. #MRGA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good move on Mueller's part. It puts the spotlight back squarely on interference in the election. Takes pressure off of him.

It makes it harder for the Republican stoolies to beat on their 'political witch hunt' drums. Do they care about the integrity of the state or is it all politics for them?

I'd love to be an interviewer asking one of them something like "Isn't it great Robert Mueller has been able to make progress on possible election interference by the Russians?" I'd Love to see some clown like Nunes boxed into a corner like that live on TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
Good move on Mueller's part. It puts the spotlight back squarely on interference in the election. Takes pressure off of him.

It makes it harder for the Republican stoolies to beat on their 'political witch hunt' drums. Do they care about the integrity of the state or is it all politics for them?

I'd love to be an interviewer asking one of them something like "Isn't it great Robert Mueller has been able to make progress on possible election interference by the Russians?" I'd Love to see some clown like Nunes boxed into a corner like that live on TV.

I agree, Mueller is no dummy, and he will drop the hammers when appropriate, and as required. Enough to show that there is a fire beneath the Trump smoke. This does make it more difficult for average Repubs to claim 'personal witch hunt' as Trump proclaims. He is simply confirming, thru charges, what the intelligence agencies have already determined. To some degree, it supports their work and conclusions, and opposes the Trump viewpoint, that there is nothing to see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
And this:

Eh. This doesn't really seem notable, unfortunately. They already had a whole major party in the US doing most of the work for them on this front. The Russians just had to push and prod a little more here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Laughs, Project Alamo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
This is interesting:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mueller also announced another guilty plea, of one Richard Pinedo, who is thus now cooperating. He apparently helped the Russians with their fake IDs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
This is interesting:

And Bill Nye, the Science guy to the left of Flynn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
abadolato01 wrote:
WetRock wrote:

I agree, Mueller is no dummy, and he will drop the hammers when appropriate, and as required. Enough to show that there is a fire beneath the Trump smoke. This does make it more difficult for average Repubs to claim 'personal witch hunt' as Trump proclaims. He is simply confirming, thru charges, what the intelligence agencies have already determined. To some degree, it supports their work and conclusions, and opposes the Trump viewpoint, that there is nothing to see here.

As an aside, I got a (rare for me now) glimpse into the "average Repub" mindset yesterday and in response to the recent shooting. Someone I know posted on FB a long and lamenting post about the hatred and divisiveness in today's politics...ok, with you so far. It ended up with "If you think this is about guns, they've already won." "They", I thought? Reading again, and reading all the agreeing comments, "they" is the media; the "deep state" was mentioned; globalists; and more than one (including the original post) talked about cells installed here to cause all this division.

In other words, nefarious forces that are operating to destroy us. The people I knew in this thread were "normal" people, some I consider friends; yet this shit is so far out there and irresponsible that it really hit me negatively. I was reminded of why I had quit FB for a year--I really don't want to know how batshit people really are.

Bottom line: if enough people think like this, NOTHING that comes out will matter in the slightest to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cognitive dissonance among FOX viewers is in full force. The comments on the stories about this over there would almost be hilarious if they weren't actually reality. Here's an example of one:

Liz, do you ever think that this is about Muller who never had anything from the beginning to indict anyone goes after 13 Russians who he knows will NEVER be extradited to the US to stand trial. It's to cover Muller to make him look like his failure netted something other than air. Don't be such a Gruber.

I kid you not. You can't make this stuff up people. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More on Richard Pinedo and the indictment against him:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/16/17021178/m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox itself is highlighting the *US people knew nothing about this!* angle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, as of 8:30 am this morning FOX has the Meuller indictments in a sidebar and their main headline is about a PELOSI DOOMSDAY !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could never leave Russia again on thier own and ure nearly useless as agents now.

Whatever kind of arrangement Meuller may extend they would have to fend off being eliminated before getting it.

A handful may survive and still work behind a keyboard but the maximum effectiveness is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
LOL, as of 8:30 am this morning FOX has the Meuller indictments in a sidebar and their main headline is about a PELOSI DOOMSDAY !!

Fox needs to continually remind its viewers who the real enemy is. It's not the Russians making a concerted effort to undermine our election process and sow dissent. It's Nancy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A long explainer on what's in the indictment, and what isn't, and what it might mean (including nods to the 2014 revolution in Ukraine where Manafort's client lost his job, and the Panama papers...)

Russian Influence Campaign: What’s in the Latest Mueller Indictment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Elfbane wrote:
This is interesting:

It was the Clinton campaign's strategy to prop up the more "extreme" Republican primary candidates Trump/Cruz/Carson, as it would in their eyes make it easier to achieve victory in the general election. Oops.

https://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaig...

LolaGranola wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's literally nothing wrong or illegal with Hillary doing that. Last I checked she was an American citizen, not a Russian one. Why exactly does her strategy there concern you, as opposed to foreign Russian agents trying to influence the election ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.