Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Strategy Content rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Y.
United States
flag msg tools
Hi BGG,

I've been contemplating on this. I'm looking for a dungeon crawl-ish game for our group. my usual group consists mostly of casual gamers.

That being said, I'm leaning towards MoM2e for the easier rule set, and immersive story scenarios. My concern is that, based on the reviews I read, it has minimal strategic decision-making in the game. Which IA and Descent have. Is this correct? Is it really lacks strategy? Do you find yourself just playing the story and not making any hard choices?

Plus I own sherlock holmes consulting detective. I'm not sure if I'll just get IA/Descent and play SHCD if we are in a story/mystery/detective mood.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xryste wrote:
Hi BGG,

I've been contemplating on this. I'm looking for a dungeon crawl-ish game for our group. my usual group consists mostly of casual gamers.

That being said, I'm leaning towards MoM2e for the easier rule set, and immersive story scenarios. My concern is that, based on the reviews I read, it has minimal strategic decision-making in the game. Which IA and Descent have. Is this correct? Is it really lacks strategy? Do you find yourself just playing the story and not making any hard choices?

Plus I own sherlock holmes consulting detective. I'm not sure if I'll just get IA/Descent and play SHCD if we are in a story/mystery/detective mood.

Thanks in advance.

Theres TONS of choices....where to go, how to fight, if you want to fight at all, what to search, who to talk to.....all while a hidden built in timer is ramping up the difficulty on you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions 2nd is mostly thematic and the best at it, but lacks in every other area. You shouldn't consider it for any other reasons. While any crawler has tactical choices, there are more in IA mostly because there are more tiles in each map. In Mansions, ranged characters don't matter and it is mostly about trying to either be in the same space as the monster to hit it or to be in another room in order to avoid getting horror checks. In Mansions, you only have to do the following: Know where the objectives are located (so usually the 2nd+ play through of any map layout), and rush those. There are a couple of investigative ones, but then again, once you know how to do it there is no tactical aspect in repeating them.

IA, since it is a campaign, has strategy regarding your hero build and equipment. The increased number of tiles allow for range to matter, thus opening more tactical aspects. The hero powers and equipment are more complex too, requiring more brain juice to play optimally.

That being said, I lean towards Mansions simply because I enjoy the thematic aspect more than tactics. Your question should be, do you and your group value more tactics or theme? Also consider that Mansions, while highly thematic, lacks in the replay aspect. More so with only the base game. On the other hand, IA, if playing full coop with the app, has just been released and also lacks content, but if you are willing to be the GM then it has far more content for the buck. If you play both, you will find IA lacks in the theme department, at least in the app's first campaign. Since it is an app, it is possible that further scenarios be more refined and thematic.

TL;DR:
Mansions has more theme. It is, imo, the most thematic game to date.
IA has more tactics, strategy, replayability and bang for the buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Y.
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for the response. Thanks Daniel for the comparison. I am also worried about the replayabiliy of MoM. But yeah the theme and the story immersion are the main reasons why I was drawn to it.

Regarding IA. Does it really focused on the campaign? I would like some "one-off" missions as well. does it have that? And do you think casual gamers would enjoy this? Their favorite is 7 wonders. They don't want a lot of rules. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IA doesn't have any official rules on 1-off missions, but it does have a couple shorter campaigns available in the expansions. I believe some fan-made rules exist as well as to how to play one-offs, but be aware that while some missions are designed to be played at any point during the campaign, the actual "plot" missions are meant to be played in a campaign setting (ramping up difficulty balance as characters get stronger, etc.).

Also remember there is an entire skirmish mode in IA as well, which is just one-off battles, but it is a very different kind of game and probably not the best for casual players.

In general I would still go with MoM since it has a simpler rule-set (actions are easier to understand, no calculating line of sight or distance, only 1 kind of dice to roll). Plus MoM you can just dive into while IA really needs some tutorial time before getting into the meat of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is IA? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Stevve15 wrote:
What is IA? blush
Star Wars: Imperial Assault with its Legends of the Alliance app. It's uses the same software codebase as the MoM2e app (and also Descent: Journeys in the Dark with its Road to Legend app) so they're often compared to one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.