BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Is there a kid version of D&D or Pathfinder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Gordon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
My kids are 6 & 10 and my husband plays pathfinder but I think that might be a little much for kids. Is there something similar but more simple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing about role playing games is they are as complicated as you want. If you husband plays Pathfinder he can make a simple adventure and have help make characters and then the kids can make the decisions for there character.

My son has a 15 drive to his school. Starting in 1st grade (about 6) we started an ongoing adventure using basic Dnd rules. Each day we would talk about it as we drove to school. He had dice in the back seat and I just had him make all the rolls. I kept things super simple and it worked for a couple years.

You can add complexity as the child grows. Your 10 year old should certainly be able to play. The six year old with help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried a bunch of children's RPGs and my absolute favorite is No Thank You, Evil.. Hero Kids is pretty good as well, but the art isn't nearly as engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donnyandmelissa wrote:
My kids are 6 & 10 and my husband plays pathfinder but I think that might be a little much for kids. Is there something similar but more simple?

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/monsterslayers

D&D has the Monster Slayers that is just what you are asking for. Basic elements of D&D for that 6+ crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simpler roleplaying / storytelling games:

No Thank You, Evil!

Untold: Adventures Await
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin croswell
United States
heath
ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuffed Fables is kind of an RPG lite. Just getting into it with my 7 year old son who was asking what D&D was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Dungeon did a "Hatchling Edition" as one of their stretch goals, although it's not yet available AFAIK.

Even the base version of the system is incredibly simple/abstract, so mechanics-wise it's already child-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
I have tried a bunch of children's RPGs and my absolute favorite is No Thank You, Evil.. Hero Kids is pretty good as well, but the art isn't nearly as engaging.

No Thank You Evil is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there is always Hero Kids ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game is pretty amazing as a my first RPG.

But like others have said, almost any RPG can be as easy or hard, as light or as dark as you want it to be, if the kids are just playing and not reading the books themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it were just the six year old, I'd recommend Hero Kids. The 10 year old is too advanced for it.

No Thank You, Evil, as many have already suggested.

For simple, streamline rules, there's The Black Hack. If you want to go more bare bones, there's Maze Rats, which has great generative tables.

There is also Epyllion, a story telling game in which players represent dragons.

When you do look for a game, consider this aphorism of RPGers: Rulings, not Rules. RPGs aren't as tightly desgned as board games. Not only do they tolerate houserulings, they require them in order to tailor experiences to the players. There's no reason why the gamemaster cannot change the rules and campaigns in order to include both your children, making it easier and safer for your six year old to play, but being challenging enough for the 10 year old.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run 10-and-under kids through Pathfinder. It went pretty great. The Pathfinder level 0 characters are very straightforward to run, compared to (for example) D&D, so it went really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a D&D5e campaign that has two kids (aged 6 and 9) playing. I find it to be a simpler system than D&D3e (which Pathfinder is based on). There is a starter set for D&D5e that's around $20 that includes everything you need to run an adventure that will take characters up to 5th (maybe 4th?) level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Castro Moreno
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If your husband already plays Pathfinder, and your kids want to play, I'll say that game is enough. Like someone said, you just use simpler rules, you can create your kids characters by asking them what would they want and you write the technical stuff. Also, only use simple stats, and take the rules one by one.

Having said that, I'm playing Fate Accelerated with my 7 years old nephew, and he seems to be liking it a lot. He chose to be a police, even when I told him he could be a superhero or anything else, so he's playing just what he wanted; and I think that's part of why he's enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
My 6 year old LOVES Dragonwood!
It could be named "My first RPG".

In fact, I really enjoy it.

It has dice rolling to do checks. Cards that boost your skills. One time use items, deck building, and a really good beginner strategy (which kind of attack is best based on your deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like what others have mentioned, an RPG system is as simple or as complicated as you choose it to be. I ran a Pathfinder: Beginner Box campaign with my 9yo daughter and 7yo son some years back, and they still recall those adventures with much fondness. Chronicled those sessions right here in BGG, if you're curious to see how it ran:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/1180702/games-we-play-dad-gms-his...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn D
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve never played it but The Cloud Dungeonlooks like something that you might be interested in. It’s a kid friendly RPG that you build and color your own characters and is built for families to go on adventures together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to use my copy of Cloud Dungeon, but agree with previous poster, it looks like a fun "RPG like" arts and crafts style game. Lots of interactive paper bits, but still that "lets make up a story" element of RPG. Really nice idea,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi G
msg tools
Check out Sidekick Quests. It's designed for players aged 6 and up. I am running my first quest this weekend, so I can't really review it yet other than to say it's crazy affordable, a quick read, really pretty and has a web comic attached to it.

http://sidekickquests.com/learn-the-game/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, please let us know how your experience with Sidekick Quests turns out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Boutwell
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Mice and Mystics since it appeals so much to that age range and is just complicated enough to evoke some real thought out of kids that age. The stories are well-crafted and the environment is completely relatable to kids who have experience with "The Secret of Nimh" or "An American Tale."

"Stay thirsty, my friends..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beauboutwell wrote:
Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Mice and Mystics.

Games like Mice and Mystics and Stuffed Fables are RPGs only in the computer game sense. I got the impression the OP was asking for recommendations on true old school GM-based completely open narrative role playing games where you can, quite literally, be and do anything you can imagine.

If I'm wrong, the OP should definitely check out Stuffed Fables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the full GM experience, Hero Kids or simply stripping down Pathfinder would be the way to go.

If you want a game that lays out the story for you, I highly recommend Mice & Mystics, Tail Feathers, or Stuffed Fables (all by Plaid Hat), depending on which theme they find the most appealing.

We talked about this on our podcast just a few weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to give +1 to Fate Accelerated too. Nice thing is the pdf is free and you can buy a hardback copy for $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Felten
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I found No Thank You Evil! to be cute, but my 8 year old very quickly outgrew what I found to be a `too simple' system.

For the 6 year old, it might be the right amount of complexity but it was the last time I trusted that guy at my LGS [whose other employees/owner always seem to have brilliant suggestions - love the place except this one waste of cash].

While not exactly a role-playing of a game, my 9 year old really enjoys Stuffed Fables and Above + Below. She's more into storytelling so both of these fit her ... Stuffed Fables has all the stories pre-written, when playing Above + Below we add to the beginnings of the story and invent stories for the `reward' portion of the below-tales [and backstories for the villages + villagers].

Thinking about D+D starter set for her next step, though likely will keep an eye out at the LGS used shelf for Mice and Mystics given how much she loves Stuffed Fables [selling No Thank You Evil there soon].

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.