BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Poll: Do You Consider Resell Value When Buying Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there was a "sometimes" option. Sometimes I do consider the resell value when I'm buying blind, in the sense that I don't have the ability to try the game beforehand so I'm not 100% sure I'm going to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider the resale value when actually buying a game. Nevertheless, after I get a game I protect my games with sleeves and such to:
- keep it in great condition for my enjoyment (like like my games to stay pretty and clean)
- make shuffling/storage easier (for us, smaller decks are easier to shuffle with sleeves)
- ensure a good resell/trade value if I end up disliking it or growing tired of it (this has happened a few times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm concerned about selling the game even before I buy it, I just buy something else. There are so many great games out there, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't consider it when buying games, but I do when first playing them. I keep a lean collection, and it usually takes a month or two before I get a sense of whether it's staying long term. No riffle shuffling for the first few games. I don't paint miniatures until 6 months down the line. I'll keep the crappy original inserts in storage for way longer than I should.

I guess I do consider it for kickstarters. I don't know if Lords of Hellas is going to fly with my group. I hope it does, but if it doesn't I reckon there's enough junk in the box to recoup my money. I wouldn't take that chance with slimmer kickstarters. Those are only backed when I'm 100% on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a consideration if the game is pricier than my usual comfort zone or if it's a game that's a bit of a risk. For example, when I bought Napoleon's Triumph it was BY FAR the most expensive game I'd ever bought (more than 2x more, at that time), but I was willing to take that risk on a game I had never played because I knew I would be able to recover most of what I had paid for it if I didn't like it (in the end I loved it anyway so it didn't matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely an element when considering expensive KS games; while I have no interest in buying with the intent to resell, the knowledge that I may be able to make my money back makes me more likely to take a chance on a game.

For any game that I've played and want, absolutely not a consideration at all; I plan to be playing it for a very long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never!
If I didn't fervently hope and expect to love and cherish it forever and ever I wouldn't buy it in the first place. Maybe I am a hopeless romantic....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is resell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will answer maybe. If I am buying a game that is used and I am not really sure I will like it then price is a consideration as I justify that I can sell/trade it for the same price I bought it for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Any Luggage Sir? - No, just this carrion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:
I don't consider the resale value when actually buying a game. Nevertheless, after I get a game I protect my games with sleeves and such to:
- keep it in great condition for my enjoyment (like like my games to stay pretty and clean)
- make shuffling/storage easier (for us, smaller decks are easier to shuffle with sleeves)
- ensure a good resell/trade value if I end up disliking it or growing tired of it (this has happened a few times)
I was going to write a reply, but this is (almost word for word) what I would've said.

I guess I could add that I do end up selling a fair number of games (through the Geek Store), but I'm not a speculator. Tastes change, circumstances change, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War. Also maybe a Fallout "L" token.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, and in fact when I clear things out I often do so at a loss because I just want them gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
No I don't because I like all of the games I buy so I've never given it a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only with Kickstarter games with a lot of exclusives (hello CMON). I buy these (for the few that I do) with the intention of selling all of the exclusives. CMON rarely playtests exclusives well (some hideously broken stuff in some of the games) and you can usually make back the cost of the pledge with just exclusives.

I sold the Black Plague exclusives for almost $300 and I still have the entirety of the base game and expansion left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. I try to take care of them, but if a game gets worn because it's played a bunch of times, that's what it's for.

I used to do 'buy multiple KS to resell' early on, and very rarely made any money off them. Now everyone does it, or everyone buys the hot ones, so it's even more of a crapshoot in many cases.
Resale value for 90% of anything is very low, so I don't really buy considering resale anymore, except in a very few cases.

I have sold games at 10-25% my cost just to clear my shelves. But those are at con flea markets, where people are going for cheap. I've got probably ten games that i'm going to end up donating just to make room. (Sometimes the potential expanded market base when considering shipping, isn't worth the hassle and cost of shipping.)

I did resell a few games last year - they were first editions of games that were coming out with new editions on KS, and selling them, even at a slight loss, let me go 'all in' on the new editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nope. Only replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kept a couple of my ASL historical modules in shrink since I've not had a chance to play them, and may not ever get to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:

*Clicks on link...scrolls down to Geek Market...*

Quote:

GeekMarket
€220
$140
$189
€200
$190
AU$290
C$200
€200
€199
€200

*What?!*

*Slowly turns to look at bookcase...Eyes widen...Heartbeat quickens...Moves mint condition, never played copy from the shelf to the safe.*

That's quite on ROI. May I change my vote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
No, and in fact when I clear things out I often do so at a loss because I just want them gone.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Contextually yes.

The context is that I rarely do this for mass market games but certainly take it into account when I'm looking at very small print games or limited releases. This mostly is the sort of thing that comes up around Essen or sometimes with train games. I prefer to buy games after playing them first, but if the game looks solid and it is likely to be very difficult to get after the window closes, then I do tend to take some account of the long term value of the game as being able to alienate it after a play for a profit is a lot better than having to let it go for less than 1/2 of what I paid for it and goes a long way toward justifying a $100+ blind purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluesea wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

*Clicks on link...scrolls down to Geek Market...*

Quote:

GeekMarket
€220
$140
$189
€200
$190
AU$290
C$200
€200
€199
€200

*What?!*

*Slowly turns to look at bookcase...Eyes widen...Heartbeat quickens...Moves mint condition, never played copy from the shelf to the safe.*

That's quite on ROI. May I change my vote?

Just a warning that the designer has stated that she doesn't think it will ever be reprinted, in case that changes things However, NO copy of Napoleon's Triumph should be in shrink, it should be open and lovingly played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
When you buy games for personal consumption (not with the purpose of flipping a Kickstarter, for instance), do you consider their resell value?...

I consider the resale value of EVERY physical object I buy. A $50 object might give $20 of utility and still be re-saleable for $50 net (of labor and transaction costs). DEAL!

A $5000 object might give $1000 in net utility, but re-saleable for only $3000. BAD deal!

It's gaming strategy applied to life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want to do a follow up poll: "Do you use a Ouija board when determining future resale value?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I try to only buy games at a price that I think I could obtain again during resale. Why wouldn't you?

I've sold close to 50+ used games and have never shipped any of them or invested much time at all into the selling process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dances With Militias
United States
Ethnic Spokanistan
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
You'll want to do a follow up poll: "Do you use a Ouija board when determining future resale value?".

I dunno...is it a "Collector's Edition" mounted Ouija board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:
However, NO copy of Napoleon's Triumph should be in shrink, it should be open and lovingly played!

My second backup copy is staying in shrink until I need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.