Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The TARDIS soared through the Time Vortex. Inside, the Doctor puzzled over the control panel, while Steven Taylor looked on. This Doctor was perhaps the strangest person Steven had ever traveled with -- as well as the most far-reaching. The Doctor had told him that this ship was able to travel through all of time and space, and that they had to get to a city called Bristol, on a planet called Earth. Steven wondered if they would get there soon -- their last adventure only happened because the Doctor had landed them on the wrong planet in the wrong century!

With a slight jolt, the TARDIS touched down. Steven opened the doors and stepped out into the midst of a bustling city. It was dark and somewhat foggy, but people hurried about under the light of lamps that lined the street, oblivious to the strange blue craft that had just appeared.

"Doc, is this Bristol?" Steven called back into the ship, where the Doctor still stood at the controls.

"Hmm, what, my boy? said the Doctor, as he stepped out of the TARDIS. "No, this is not Bristol; it is not even the right century. However, it is the right planet. Welcome, Mr. Tyrell, to Victorian London!"

Steven jumped back out of the street as a hansom cab rattled past. Behind him, the TARDIS once again changed shape, copying the form of the carriage, but retaining its blue color.

As Steven followed the passing carriage, he saw a strange figure. Unusually tall and thin, with a pale bulbous head. "What's that?" exclaimed Steven.

"Did you see something, my boy?" said the Doctor as Steven turned to face him.

Steven looked puzzled. "No, Doc, I didn't see anything. Why?"

"I thought I heard you say something," said the Doctor, looking around. "Nothing odd here, my boy. Let us see if we can find something! The Doctor wandered off into the fog and, as he followed, Steven wondered if this strange man wasn't odd enough on his own.

---

I've been asked to show what I'm doing with some of the mechanics in my sessions. Here, in the initial setup for my second playthrough with the One, I started by checking my Adventure Scaling total (r015). Here, my total was 2, which limited the minimum DM of any revealed Enemy to 2, and gave me a +1 Luck bonus at the end of the Adventure. Then, I made the TARDIS roll to see if we reached my chosen Adventure of a009. I needed a 7, and rolled a 1 (factoring in One's Poor TARDIS Pilot), and was unsuccessful. I then rolled 1,3 on the chart at t001b for an Adventure at a003: Earth - 1892. I didn't roll any Vortex events or Encounters during the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see some First Doctor adventures!

Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Re: Adventures of the First Doctor Chapter II: Parable of the Sewer (Turn I)
Of course, "Exploration of London" soon meant that Steven and the Doctor were inside a pub. Steven sat a bar, a pint in hand, while the Doctor spoke to a serving girl whose hair was the same color as Steven's ale. Suddenly, Steven heard a shout from behind him.

"Doctor, submit yourself to the glory of the Sontaran Empire or you will be defenestrated!"

Steven turned to see perhaps the strangest sight he'd seen during his short time with the Doctor. Standing there inside the door was a being who more closely resembled a potato than a human. Oddly, he was dressed in clothing very similar to the Doctor's own. Next to this creature was a young human woman, and a woman in a long black dress and a veil. Steven thought she too was human until she lifted the veil, revealing a pebbled green face.

The Doctor had also turned to look at the trio. "A Sontaran, a Silurian, and Human," said the Doctor, eyeing his surroundings. "Is this some kind of a joke?"

"No joke, Doctor,"said the green-skinned woman. "My name is Vastra. This is my wife, Jenny. And our butler, Strax. We have been reading of your adventures throughout history, and believed it was only a matter of time before you arrived here. Tell me, Doctor, are you familiar will Krillitanes? We believe they are nesting somewhere nearby."

"Krillitanes, here?" exclaimed the Doctor. "Show me!, Quickly, Mr. Tiber!" Soon the group was out of the pub and heading toward the river.

As they walked, Strax tapped Steven on the arm. "Tell me, boy, is 'butler' the human word for 'commando'?" "Not really," replied Steven.

Soon, they reached their destination: a road that ran parallel to the Thames. Vastra pointed to a grate in the cobblestone street, which Strax promptly lifted. "Down there," she said.

"Great," said Steven. "Who wants to climb into the sewer first?"

---

My Explore History roll gave me a Character event, and I rolled e271: the Paternoster Gang! That section let me roll for a Plot Event, and my roll took me to e137: Mysterious Strangers. That section revealed the Enemy and, after a couple of rolls that game Enemies with DM's that were too high, I finally rolled for v013: The Krillitanes.

My Encounter Roll gave me a Location, and I rolled e028: Sewers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay - the First Doctor meets the Paternoster Gang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Re: Adventures of the First Doctor Chapter II: Parable of the Sewer (Turn II)
The unlikely group made their way through the dank, foul-smelling sewer. The short alien, Strax, led the group, holding up a torch. Steven took a rearguard position, but the lack of light, coupled with the unfamiliar noises, made him jump at more than one shadow. He kicked at a small dark shape near his foot, and discovered it was a large brown rat, who hissed and scurried off into the darkness.

Soon the five of them entered a larger vaulted room. The room itself was empty. The ground was covered with a dark oily substance that, to Steven, smelled like bat guano. Bones of rats and other small creatures littered the chamber. Jenny piked up a piece of bloody fabric that Steven did not, at first, recognize. His stomach lurched when he realized it was an infant's dressing gown.

"It's a nest," said the Doctor, pointing at what appeared to be egg sacs hanging from the vaulted ceiling by strands of webbing. "London is a rich food source for the Krillitanes. They feast, and multiply unchecked, until their food supply runs out. We must stop them, if we can."

At that moment, a loud screeching sound echoed down the passage they had entered from, and a wave of rats, each as large as the one Steven stepped on earlier, poured into the room. "RUN!" shouted the Doctor, and the five of them took off down an unfamiliar tunnel. Strax dropped the torch in a panic, and they ran in near-darkness.

After several minutes the group stopped a junction. The rats, as well as the Krillitane chamber, were somewhere behind them in the gloom. "Doc," said Steven, "Any idea where we are?"

"No," said the Doctor, staring off into the darkened tunnels.

--

My Investigate roll led me to discover the Goal, and I rolled up Breeding Ground as the Goal for the Krillitanes. Now I just have to get the DM up to 6!

Rolling for an Encounter in the sewer, I discovered 10 rats! I decided that was too many to tackle, I took the -1 Luck to reroll, only to discover the Doctor was now hopelessly lost. I used the initial rat encounter as 'flavor', above, explaining how the group got lost in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Re: Adventures of the First Doctor Chapter II: Parable of the Sewer (Turn III)
"It's this way, ma'am," said Jenny, pointing down one damp tunnel. "I can 'ear the rats."

The group slowly made their way through the darkened tunnel and were soon back in the Krillitane breeding chamber, thankfully devoid of rats. The Doctor began poking around in the detritus covering the ground, Steven wondered to himself who -- or what -- took care of the rats for them.

And would they be next?

---
Not much happened this Turn. The group, as their Action, made a successful roll and became "un-lost", and there was no Encounter this Turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pfeil
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Re: Adventures of the First Doctor Chapter II: Parable of the Sewer (Turn IV)
As Strax worked to relight the torch, the Doctor scooped up a handful of the dark substance from the ground. "Tell me you're going to wash your hands before you eat, Doc" said Steven, looking slightly green.

"Not to worry, my boy," said the Doctor, who promptly flung the substance into Strax's now-lit torch. It immediately lit, shooting a jet of green flame toward the vaulted ceiling. Surprised, Strax nearly dropped the torch again.

"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO IMMOLATE ME WITHOUT WARNING ME FIRST!" bellowed Strax.

"Doctor, you're not proposing that we exterminate all these creatures, are you?" asked Vastra. "Whatever harm they've caused, they are simply trying to survive."

The Doctor smiled. "No, my dear. We must, however, get them out of the London sewers and into a less populated environment where they will not pose such a risk to the people around them. This substance may just be what we need to convince them."

---

My Prevent Experiment roll resulted in a Breakthrough (e083), from which I gained 2DM. No Encounter for the second turn in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.