Subject: Random Mission Selector rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a thing for picking random missions:

http://brimstone.brokengod.net

It’s designed to look good on an iPhone in portrait orientation but should work on anything that will display a webpage.

Updates:

17 Feb 2018
- added Theme option: You can set a percentage chance to be given a themed mission, with themes selected from available Mission Packs, and Badlands.
- Quick change to only allow Badlands theme to apply to Basic missions

18 Feb 2018
- added flags for starting tiles to all the missions I own, so that they can be correctly theme with Badlands or not as appropriate.

19 Feb 2018
- added more flags for starting tiles from the information provided by RobKeet.

11 Jun 2018
- added even more flags for starting tiles from the information provided by RobKeet. Also added "Default" theme for Mission Pack missions to make it clear these are to be played with the appropriate theme for the Mission Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good.

The only obvious thing I would add is the option for a mission theme (e.g., Badlands or Vampires). Might be nice to give the option to choose the odds of one. So I might put in I want 20% of a themed mission and it determines if there is one and, if so, randomizes which one from among sets I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Looks pretty good.

The only obvious thing I would add is the option for a mission theme (e.g., Badlands or Vampires). Might be nice to give the option to choose the odds of one. So I might put in I want 20% of a themed mission and it determines if there is one and, if so, randomizes which one from among sets I own.

Thanks - I like this idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catroppa vado
msg tools
mb
Really nice, thank you for this. You could even include some custom mission present on this site,I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catroppa wrote:
Really nice, thank you for this. You could even include some custom mission present on this site,I think.

Thanks, I plan to add these soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- added Theme option: You can set a percentage chance to be given a themed mission, with themes selected from available Mission Packs, and Badlands.

thanks to Dormammu for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is nice. You thought of nearly everything. Good job.

There are quite a few player made missions, rather than trying to include all the player made missions that have been (and will be) made, which seems like it would be a large never ending task, would it be possible to add a number of "open slots" that we could use for whatever player made missions we fancy at the time. Something like Custom1, Custom2 ... Custom10.

That way we could do our own assignments as needed for such, and your interface wouldn't get out of hand trying to keep up with them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Quick change to only allow Badlands theme to apply to Basic missions

This is due to Badlands only being usable for missions that start on the Mine Entrance tile. When I have a bit more time I will add flags for which other missions start on a Mine Entrance Tile, and permit Badlands theme for those also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:
This really is nice. You thought of nearly everything. Good job.

There are quite a few player made missions, rather than trying to include all the player made missions that have been (and will be) made, which seems like it would be a large never ending task, would it be possible to add a number of "open slots" that we could use for whatever player made missions we fancy at the time. Something like Custom1, Custom2 ... Custom10.

That way we could do our own assignments as needed for such, and your interface wouldn't get out of hand trying to keep up with them all.

Thanks, this might be a useful approach. I'll have a think about it and see what is going to make the most sense. You're definitely right about the sheer quantity of custom missions available, although it's not -too- time consuming to add new entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
You may find this useful https://github.com/Grauenwolf/BrimstoneMissions/blob/master/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grauenwolf wrote:

Thanks - that will save me finding all the custom missions if I go down that path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- added flags for Badlands to all the missions I own, so that they can be correctly theme with Badlands or not as appropriate.

Could anyone give me information on which missions from the following sources do/don't start on the Mine Entrance tile?

Blasted Wastes
Werewolf Feral Kin
Order Of The Crimson Hand
Black Fang Tribe
The Lost Army
Flesh Stalker
The Ancient One
The Burrower
The Sand Kraken
Doomsday Device

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokengod wrote:
- added flags for Badlands to all the missions I own, so that they can be correctly theme with Badlands or not as appropriate.

Could anyone give me information on which missions from the following sources do/don't start on the Mine Entrance tile?

Blasted Wastes
Werewolf Feral Kin
Black Fang Tribe
The Lost Army
Flesh Stalker
The Ancient One
The Burrower
The Sand Kraken
Doomsday Device

Doomsday Device can start in any world, and indeed also Mines. (know that one by heart)
Other Missions I would have to check...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokengod wrote:

Blasted Wastes
Werewolf Feral Kin
Black Fang Tribe
The Lost Army
Flesh Stalker
The Ancient One
The Burrower
The Sand Kraken
Doomsday Device

I can give you more information; all known (to me) indications of first map tile(s):

Blasted Wastes
- Missing Patrol * Canyon Entrance Map Tile
- Ghosts in the Dark * Canyon Entrance Map Tile
- Across the Desert Dunes * Mine Entrance Map Tile
- Starfall * Fixed Map Layout
- Water of Life * Blasted Wastes Entrance Map Tile > Wrecked Airlock Map Tile
- Warmaster's Fury * Blasted Wastes Entrance Map Tile

- Black Ritual * Mine Entrance Map Tile
- Captured * a Room Map Tile
- Race for the Relics * Mine Entrance Map Tile > a Cross Passage Map Tile
- Feeding of the Beast * Mine Entrance Map Tile

The Lost Army
- Supply Chain * Mine Entrance Map Tile
- Under Siege * Mine Entrance Map Tile
- Burning Souls * Mine Entrance Map Tile > a Cross Passage Map Tile
- Revenge of the Lost Army * Mine Entrance Map Tile

Flesh Stalker
- Experimentation * Mine Entrance Map Tile
- Out of Time * Mine Entrance Map Tile

The Ancient One
- Ancient Awakening * Mine Entrance Map Tile

The Burrower
- This is no Cave * Mine Entrance Map Tile

The Sand Kraken
- Release the Kraken * Mine Entrance Map Tile

Doomsday Device
- Countdown to Destruction * Mine Entrance Map Tile > A Mining Room Map Tile (Any World)

So you're still missing:
- Werewolf Feral Kin
- Black Fang Tribe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobKeet wrote:

I can give you more information; all known (to me) indications of first map tile(s):

Thanks, Rob, that's great! I've just updated all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokengod wrote:
RobKeet wrote:

Thanks, Rob, that's great! I've just updated all of these.

And with a big Thank You to
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
who delivered to me many Missions (for another reason).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobKeet wrote:
(...) So you're still missing:
- Werewolf Feral Kin
- Black Fang Tribe

As I received my MC wave 2, here cometh the rest:

Black Fang Tribe

1 Blood Harvest * Mine Entrance
2 Rain Dance * Mine/Canyons Entrance
3 Tribal Relics * Mine Entrance
4 The Vengeful Spirit * Mine Entrance

Werewolf Feral Kin

1 First Blood * Mine Entrance
2 Full Moon * Mine/Canyons (Night) Entrance
3 Cleansing Ritual * Mine Entrance
4 Hunting Ground * Mine Entrance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobKeet wrote:
RobKeet wrote:
(...) So you're still missing:
- Werewolf Feral Kin
- Black Fang Tribe

As I received my MC wave 2, here cometh the rest:

Black Fang Tribe

1 Blood Harvest * Mine Entrance
2 Rain Dance * Mine/Canyons Entrance
3 Tribal Relics * Mine Entrance
4 The Vengeful Spirit * Mine Entrance

Werewolf Feral Kin

1 First Blood * Mine Entrance
2 Full Moon * Mine/Canyons (Night) Entrance
3 Cleansing Ritual * Mine Entrance
4 Hunting Ground * Mine Entrance

Thanks Rob! I’ll fix this up tomorrow morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nagati
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I have an excel spreadsheet that does the same thing but this is much nicer.

For consideration: Perhaps only allow the theme for scenarios from the mission packs to be set to the mission pack's associated theme?

Also perhaps only assign a theme if the scenario starts in the canyons or the mines? (Maybe this already the case?) I find it a bit anomalous that the black fang theme(etc) can be assigned for the Derelict ship (etc) unless they are hunting you and followed you from the Brimstone area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Callistan wrote:
(...) Perhaps only allow the theme for scenarios from the mission packs to be set to the mission pack's associated theme? (...)

Yes, the Missions from the Mission Packs have their proper Enemy Theme.
1) I suppose other Adventures are indeed excluded for these Missions (as there may be only one Adventure per Mission, according to the rules). In fact, when checking with a 100% chance of an Adventure/Theme, the only Missions to not receive an Adventure are exactly the Missions from these Mission Packs.
2) Maybe it is feasible to have these proper Adventures being mentioned, with for instance the word default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Callistan wrote:
Thanks for this. I have an excel spreadsheet that does the same thing but this is much nicer.

You're welcome - glad you find it useful!

Callistan wrote:
For consideration: Perhaps only allow the theme for scenarios from the mission packs to be set to the mission pack's associated theme?

Yep, as RobKeet mentioned above, the way that the mission randomiser works, Mission Pack missions will never be assigned a theme. I'm just including all of the Start Tile information in my database so that I have it if it's relevant in the future.

I have made the change Rob suggested, however, so that Mission Pack missions will always note "Default Theme" as a reminder to use the appropriate theming from the applicable Mission Pack.

Callistan wrote:
Also perhaps only assign a theme if the scenario starts in the canyons or the mines? (Maybe this already the case?) I find it a bit anomalous that the black fang theme(etc) can be assigned for the Derelict ship (etc) unless they are hunting you and followed you from the Brimstone area.

I'm not sure about this - I can see your logic for it, but I don't think anything in the game forbids it from occurring, so I'd be hesitant to block themes for Otherworld missions. You can of course just ignore the theme result if you don't think it feels right.

Thematically, I think I'm ok with - as an example - a group of Feral Vampires finding themselves on the Derelict Ship after going through a Mines portal that then closed on them, leaving them stranded on the ship and overrunning the place.

Happy to consider any further thoughts anyone has on this, or a correction if I am indeed wrong about Mission Pack themes being able to apply to Otherworlds using RAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokengod wrote:
(...)
Callistan wrote:

I'm not sure about this - I can see your logic for it, but I don't think anything in the game forbids it from occurring, so I'd be hesitant to block themes for Otherworld missions. You can of course just ignore the theme result if you don't think it feels right.

Thematically, I think I'm ok with - as an example - a group of Feral Vampires finding themselves on the Derelict Ship after going through a Mines portal that then closed on them, leaving them stranded on the ship and overrunning the place.

Happy to consider any further thoughts anyone has on this, or a correction if I am indeed wrong about Mission Pack themes being able to apply to Otherworlds using RAW.

To me it seems there should not be anything that prohibits the use of any (Enemy Themed) Adventure card in any Mission:

Mission Pack Books wrote:
As noted on the card, you may use this Adventure Card with any existing Mission, but there is a limit of 1 Enemy Theme Adventure Card in use at a time (if you have other Mission Pack Expansions, etc).

Enemy Theme card wrote:
The Heroes may choose to make any Mission a (...) Adventure, with the following modifiers:

Badlands; New Rules wrote:
Only one Adventure card may be used per Mission

Badlands; New Rules wrote:
Adventure Cards and OtherWorlds
The game modifiers listed on the Adventure card still apply while in an OtherWorld. It is assumed that the 'Adventure' has spilled into the OtherWorld as well.

If someone doesn't want to use Adventure Cards in OtherWorld Missions (or in an OtherWorld), that's of course totally fine by me, but I think there should not be a limitation in your online tool. I think it's fine as it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cardboard.and.plastic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobKeet wrote:

To me it seems there should not be anything that prohibits the use of any (Enemy Themed) Adventure card in any Mission:

(...supporting rules quotes...)

If someone doesn't want to use Adventure Cards in OtherWorld Missions (or in an OtherWorld), that's of course totally fine by me, but I think there should not be a limitation in your online tool. I think it's fine as it is now.

Yep, I think that covers it - thanks for going to the trouble of looking this stuff up and quoting it.

I'll leave it as is unless I see/hear a compelling argument to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nagati
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.