Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for slightly clumsy and excitable 10-year olds?!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan West
msg tools
Had a games night tonight and one of the kids was a bit heavy handed with cards (tending to bend them etc). He really enjoyed Walk the Plank and played Exploding Kittens. Played Carcassonne but not sure he really grasped it but semi-enjoyed it.

Can anyone recommend enjoyable games for 8-10 years old (not particularly gaming-adept either) that are more robust than card games, maybe involving tiles with relatively simple rules such as Walk the Plank? (Walk the Plank if the cards were indestructible would be perfect!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tile laying games sound like a good idea, since thick cardboard is quite sturdy.
Carcassonee sans the expansions sounds about right.
Possibly Kingdomino?
Or maybeO Zoo le Mio could work. The tiles are very robust, as is the "money" (wooden discs) and all the other markers (chunky wooden trees, benches, and people). It is also a very good game. There might be different editions.
Patchwork should work ok, if the kid is not so clumsy as not to leave the tiles in place on the board. Also many other abstracts. They are all 2-player games, which might be bad.
Ricochet Robots is another one - very hard to destroy. Depends highly on spatial thinking though. Maybe that would not work - or it might. Very hard to tell without trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been surprised how well kids seem to like 10 Days in the USA.
The components are cardboard tiles that go on a rack, and the game even has some educational value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong Stuff! it's a Jenga variant basically but it's durable. No idea if it's OOP though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Milwee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino is a good idea. Karuba. King of Tokyo. Rhino Hero (card bending ability is a plus!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Hive and Pickomino: La Totale! (due out later this year - combines Pickomino and Heckmeck Extrawurm in a little metal tin) so that there are no breakable parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about a manual dexterity game like Flip Ships? I haven't played it yet but it did look like good fun that a heavy hand might do well at.
Also what about Qwirkle? The rules are very simple but very robust and open to new strategies as the kids play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeWizard wrote:
Also what about Qwirkle? The rules are very simple but very robust and open to new strategies as the kids play more.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - all wooden!

Karuba - all hard cardboard - same with Kingdomino and The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet

Room 25 is a programmed action/movement game with no cards

Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale is more intuitive for kids than standard carc so might be worth a try?

I play incan gold with kids and am always the one who puts out the cards - but they will have two cards each to say whether staying in or out - but easily replaced by some other wooden chips or meeples??

Escape from the Hidden Castle - no card or paper and is fun!

Galaxy Trucker - they don't have to touch the cards at all if you don't allow them to peek during the build as you can do all that! Might be a bit long for what you're wanting though?

It's so hard thinking of games that don't have cards lol! My daughter is not heavy handed at all but I also pull these ones out when her friends or my younger family members want to play something lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris evans
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
King of Tokyo
Camel Up
+1 for Kingdomino and Karuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
Thanks guys for all these suggestions. I have some research to do I guess!!! I'll take a look at all of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstracts tend to have more robust (plastic or Bakelite) pieces:
Hive
GIPF
Shake Up
Ingenious
BITS
Six Which can be played with Hive pieces.
Can't Stop

And any of the games from Lego. You get to build it and then play it! And, you can make up your own games using the pieces...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop is an excellent suggetion. German publisher Frajo has some very chunky editions of that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
I would imagine thematic games are generally better for kids (they loved Pirates) ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan9461 wrote:
I would imagine thematic games are generally better for kids (they loved Pirates) ...

In that case, building a zoo seems good ^^

Maybe Bärenpark could also be a good alternative. The tiles are thick and robust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terror in Meeple City
Coconuts

Are two of my kids' favorites - 8 and 10 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
O Zoo le Mio looks interesting!!! Shortlisted ... along with Zombie Dice - but can anyone give a quick overview of the editions etc. of Zombie Dice - seems like there's a few out there. Kingdomoino on radar - looking at others listed above!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Flower
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rummikub,
Stratego,
Battleship,
any of the Blokus,Blokus Trigon, Blokus 3D,
l
Hey, That's My Fish! or Battle Sheep

Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're after some more robust games in terms of components, there is:

PitchCar

Flick 'Em Up!

Cube Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.