John Desmond
United States
Newark
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salutations, gentlefolk !

I've played the boardgame of RFTG often since it came out, and Keldon's PC version, probably at least once a day for years... Questions:

Any differences in game play between new version and original ?

New version - only iOS, or Android or new boardgame versions coming ?

Very curious am I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdesmond wrote:
Salutations, gentlefolk !

I've played the boardgame of RFTG often since it came out, and Keldon's PC version, probably at least once a day for years... Questions:

Any differences in game play between new version and original ?
I've played the orig. version A LOT (OV). Only seen the new version (call it "NV")

1) IIRC, OV uses a text game log. NV has a graphical game log

2) NV has animation. So you'll see cards literally fly from hand to discard pile when discarding

3) NV has bonus homeworlds for no extra charge as part of the base game. They're pictured below..

4) As of this post OV has exp#4 (AA) and exp#5 (XI) available. Not true for NV, although I hear it's upcoming. Currently, it's at exp#3

No plans to do optional modules (Orb Scenario and Invasion modules) respectively for either.

5) OV doesn't have tutorial. Check out the links provided in the help section, or ask away on BGG! NV has a tutorial. Whether or not it's any good, I can't say. Obviously, you can still use the resources I pointed out in the OV if you do the NV as well

6) OV only has 1 difficulty AI level. NV also has an "Easy mode", which is "Keldon's AI, but dumbed down". Good for new players, and those who would like to win more than not

7) OV is silent. NV has sound fx, and IIRC, even BGM

8) OV can do online MP with others, but IIRC, NV is better in terms of being more "user friendly", and may have a better pool of players

9) OV, mouseover will show pt values (like relative pts when placing cards, or score for variable cards like the 6-?-costs), while in NV, the 6-cost cards themselves update dynamically via the "hex spot". (e.g. Merchant Guild now being 2pts will update the 0 in the hex to 2)

10) ? You can re/undo decision points, whole rounds, and entire games in the OV, but not so in the NV?

NO LONGER GAMEPLAY, BUT....
X) OV is free (although feel free to donate, but confirm payment links first). NV is $7, plus extra for expansions via IAP ($4 each IIRC)

X+1) OV is for PC, although you should be able to compile it for Linux and Mac OSX.
NV is currently only for iOS, Android, and Steam
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/race-for-the-galaxy/id119067...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.templegate...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/579940/Race_for_the_Galaxy...

X+2) While the OV has been permitted to remain available for DL, it doesn't seem it'll get much support, if at all, for updates and new content. As the OV has source code available, not sure what policies RGG and Tom have set forth concerning changes and additions to the OV.

jdesmond wrote:
New version - only iOS, or Android or new boardgame versions coming ?

See #X+1 above.

AFAIK, new bg versions include:
--Xeno Counterstrike. It's exp #6, and the expansion that expands the 3rd arc (base + Xeno Invasion and XCS)

--A board game version of Race called Frontiers

--As well as [redacted]

EDIT: clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
3) OV has bonus homeworlds for no extra charge as part of the base game. They're pictured below..

NV you mean. :)

ackmondual wrote:
No plans to do optional modules (Orb Scenario and Invasion modules) respectively for either.

I thought Invasion was in the plans for the app, but i may have dreamt that.

ackmondual wrote:
6) OV only has 1 difficulty AI level. NV also has an "Easy mode", which is "Keldon's AI, but dumbed down". Good for new players, and those who would like to win more than not

NV has 3 difficulties, a Medium as well.

ackmondual wrote:
10) ? You can re/undo decision points, whole rounds, and entire games in the OV, but not so in the NV?

Correct.

ackmondual wrote:
X+2) While the OV has been permitted to remain available for DL, it doesn't seem it'll get much support, if at all, for updates and new content.

There is the occasional update to the OV from interested fans, for e.g. Xeno Invasion, and an online server to play it.

ackmondual wrote:

New Frontiers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

ackmondual wrote:

New Frontiers!

What is this New Frontiers? Another board game version of Race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briforge wrote:
What is this New Frontiers? Another board game version of Race?

Yes. AFAIK this thread contains the only known information. Pretty scant info for a game that was initially planned to release in 2017. Reeeeeep

Edit: tiniest morsels of information here (pretty sure it's #2) and here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.