Aeon's End: Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: What would you want from a custom-Mage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, one of the big selling points of the campaign seems to be the ability to create your own Mage.

I know they said elsewhere that you could have up to 5000 possible combinations, but I wonder whether there's actually much scope to have things that are REALLY that different - at least one play tester has said that their Mage came out a lot like an existing one.

For me, I think the first thing I'd want from a Mage would be an alternative breach. Is there any likelihood of being able to do that?

The other thing that always seems to be missing from breach mages is any kind of passive ability. Having not seen them up to now, would they really have the first implementation be in a game where they don't have full control over what it gets paired with for balance purposes?

I'm sure there are going to be lots of good reasons for not letting us do these things, but overall, it feels like the big, unique hook of the game is actually going to be really limited in scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
So, one of the big selling points of the campaign seems to be the ability to create your own Mage.

I know they said elsewhere that you could have up to 5000 possible combinations, but I wonder whether there's actually much scope to have things that are REALLY that different - at least one play tester has said that their Mage came out a lot like an existing one.

For me, I think the first thing I'd want from a Mage would be an alternative breach. Is there any likelihood of being able to do that?

The other thing that always seems to be missing from breach mages is any kind of passive ability. Having not seen them up to now, would they really have the first implementation be in a game where they don't have full control over what it gets paired with for balance purposes?

I'm sure there are going to be lots of good reasons for not letting us do these things, but overall, it feels like the big, unique hook of the game is actually going to be really limited in scope.

I also would like to see some passive abilities.

One would be from the latest update:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A mage with a shield. To be able to really soak up some damage

Another would be some heavy healing maybe with decreased damage that could really drag out the game to later tiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it was 500K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
A mage with a shield. To be able to really soak up some damage

I mentioned it in the update but you can already do that:
Just have some Equilibrium prepped in your breaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having finished our play test campaign both my gf and me created some pretty awesome unique Mage's. They are pretty different from any breach mage we already have in our collection.

You really can build them any way you like. And there where a lot of different options every time we got to make a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
Pretty sure it was 500K

Yes, there are over 500,000 different ways to configure your mage. I miswrote the lower number in a previous thread :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Jasiven wrote:
Pretty sure it was 500K

Yes, there are over 500,000 different ways to configure your mage. I miswrote the lower number in a previous thread

Wait that means if I want to make one of every possible Breach Mage I need 124,999 reset packs which comes to $3,124,975! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralsar wrote:
T Worthington wrote:
Jasiven wrote:
Pretty sure it was 500K
Yes, there are over 500,000 different ways to configure your mage. I miswrote the lower number in a previous thread
Wait that means if I want to make one of every possible Breach Mage I need 124,999 reset packs which comes to $3,124,975! surprise
But if you want one of every GOOD breach mage, it'll be much cheaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:

But is there anything like a bad breach mage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Large
England
MANCHESTER
GREATER MANCHESTER
flag msg tools
Bad breach mage you say? Try playing Reeve to find the nemesis deck is nothing but power and attack cards, never a fun feeling when the shuffle hates you that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkskull wrote:
Bad breach mage you say? Try playing Reeve to find the nemesis deck is nothing but power and attack cards, never a fun feeling when the shuffle hates you that much.

You still can generate insane amounts of aether early so she's still good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkskull wrote:

You're always guaranteed 3 minions, and those three are the worst ones you'll come up against, so even if you are otherwise really unlucky, being able to wallop the tier 3 minion for a cool 5 extra hit points might very well win you the game, as the tier 3 minion usually is set up to be able to Game Over you within 1-4 turns and tends to have 15+ hp!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Jasiven wrote:

But is there anything like a bad breach mage?

There are definitely good combinations of upgrades that go well together, but you're right that even if you don't pick those combos you wouldn't end up with a bad mage. Although I will say that there are 2 specific upgrades that I'm thinking of that do not really play well together IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
hawkskull wrote:

You're always guaranteed 3 minions

Check again, some Nemesis are rather light on minions ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:
hawkskull wrote:

Is that true? I thought each one had 1 power, 1 attack, and 1 minion for each tier? My mistake, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
Is that true? I thought each one had 1 power, 1 attack, and 1 minion for each tier? My mistake, apparently.

Prince of Gluttons has three minions on tier 2.
Carapace Queen doesn't have a minion on tier 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:
hawkskull wrote:

The distribution of nemesis card types is another way we balance nemeses. For those who generate a lot of minions (carapace queen) they have less minions in their specific cards and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeve isn't totally useless even there. If you have a market that hands out free charges like a Mage's Talisman, you'll be able to just auto cleave her husks every now and then as well, right?

Unless husks don't count as a minion she can hit. It might seem like a waste since even sparks can kill them, but being able to get rid of two more (if allowed) would be handy. I have only used Reeve on Prince of Gluttons and Hollow Crown (where Reeve was amaaaaazing) though so far. I like to mix it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeve works really well against husks if you're willing to pay 2 life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Reeve works really well against husks if you're willing to pay 2 life.

Even 1 life spent splits quite a bit of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Arnold
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Reeve has a starting gem worth 3 and a 4 breach that starts off close to opening, her power could literally be blank (and it often is) and she'd still be good.

The only bad mage is Nym, I'd say, since he does nothing unless you play to mill, I find winning through mill way more difficult than winning through face damage, and even in mill games I'd rather just play Adelheim or Phaedraxa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MegiDolaDyne wrote:
Reeve has a starting gem worth 3 and a 4 breach that starts off close to opening, her power could literally be blank (and it often is) and she'd still be good.

The only bad mage is Nym, I'd say, since he does nothing unless you play to mill, I find winning through mill way more difficult than winning through face damage, and even in mill games I'd rather just play Adelheim or Phaedraxa.

Nym is really powerful later in the game though. Whereas Adelheim can not prevent a minion, Nym can. If you don't get an attack card, you still stopped something nasty, and if you DID get an attack card, then you get to stop two something nasty. Nym is the *only* way in the entire game to prevent a minion from coming out, and the Tier 3 minion is usually designed to destroy you. Now then, with that being said, pair her with Adelheim and/or Phaedraxa and you have a nearly unstoppable decking duo/trio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MegiDolaDyne wrote:

I find the gain 2 from Nym's starting spell to be quite useful for early development. That allows him to have a ton of aether on early turns that most characters don't have access to or have to pay some cost to obtain (life, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seeing as I'm goofing off with Nym while watching the solo challenge thread, I can confirm that 2 extra aether is very potent. More importantly, it's 2 extra aether on a spell - meaning it's 2 extra aether can be 'held' for a future turn without taking up one of your card draws.

For reference, this means that on Turn 2, Nym can easily hit 7 Aether with a bit of preparation. Just hold a couple of gems in hand turn 1, and you can get a large power spike by turn 4. Turn 3 is messier as a result, but it can be quite worth it for a 7 Aether card that early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nym's unique card is more than decent and his ability is still completely unique. He's far from bad if you want to deck the Nemesis. Pair him with Scrying Bolt and you can make short work of the Nemesis deck.
Too bad he gets completely hosed by several Nemeses though. But his unique is always good, even though his ability is much more marginal than Reeve's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.