Popular Tags: [View All]
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Gloomhaven Experts,

I am just about to start my first scenario.

1 Did I get it right that per monster type I draw one of their initiative/action cards and they
all do that action togehter?

2 I noticed it shield an posion. Does that mean they got the shield for one round but the poison
condition stays on them and they become more vulnerable?

3 I selected my leading card as the one with 07 meaning my Spellweaver will go first, then the guards
and then my Cragheart?

Thanks for any hints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:

Hi Gloomhaven Experts,

I am just about to start my first scenario.

1 Did I get it right that per monster type I draw one of their initiative/action cards and they
all do that action togehter?

2 I noticed it shield an posion. Does that mean they got the shield for one round but the poison
condition stays on them and they become more vulnerable?

3 I selected my leading card as the one with 07 meaning my Spellweaver will go first, then the guards
and then my Cragheart?

Thanks for any hints.

1) Correct.
2) Correct on the shield. However, the poison means they will deal poison to whoever they attack.
3) Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That's right.

2. The poison means that the guards poison YOU. Not themselves. So their card means they shield themselves for 1, they do NOT move, then they attack an adjacent target for an attack+0 and a poison.

3. This is correct. Note that because the spellweaver goes before the guards, their shield 1 is not yet in effect. The spellweaver therefore can attack before the guards get their defense up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
3. This is correct. Note that because the spellweaver goes before the guards, their shield 1 is not yet in effect. The spellweaver therefore can attack before the guards hey their defense up.

The Shield 1 from the small ability card would not yet be in effect. However, if there were any Elite Guards in play, they have a permanent Shield 1 listed on their stat card.

So the situation would be like this:
- prior to Initiative 15 (when the guards perform their action): normal guards would have no shield, elite guards have 1 shield.
- after the guards perform their action: normal guards would have 1 shield, elite guards would have 2 shield (1 from their stat card + 1 from their ability card.)
- shield effects from monster ability cards last until the end of round, so once the round ends and the new round starts (i.e. initiative 0), then the normal guards would be back to 0 shield and the elite guards back to 1 shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Baker Odom, Alexander Steinbach, Jay Johnson

That makes it clearer.

Noone was near the monsters so their shield and poison did not bother me as you noticed,
I attacked first.

The second round started and the monsters moved close.
I now want to use the Crater attack. Since the green elment was infused last round I
and I got the backup ammunition I plan to attack the target next to the spellweaver and push the guard
back 2 spaces AND as well target the other two guards with my "backup ammunition"

Do I have disadvantage for the additionally targeted guards and need to draw for each of the other targets two modifier cards and pick the worst one?

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
You target each one separately flipping over their own set of attack modifier cards from your deck. You will NOT be at a disadvantage for the the targets that are not adjacent to you and therefore will only flip one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Do I have disadvantage for the additionally targeted guards and need to draw for each of the other targets two modifier cards and pick the worst one?

disadvantage is figured on a target-by-target basis.

If you are doing a ranged attack on an adjacent target, you have disadvantage against that target (and would have to draw two AttMod cards and pick the worst one, against that target).
However, any targets of that attack action that are NOT adjacent to you would not be at disadvantage, so you would just draw the normal one AttMod card for each of those targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Noone was near the monsters so their shield and poison did not bother me as you noticed

Their shield affects you also if you perform a ranged attack against them. The poison will not bother you as the guards could not attack you, but if you performed a ranged attack against them, the shield modifier of the guards would be in effect.

metallon wrote:
... AND as well target the other two guards with my "backup ammunition"

"Add target" adds a single target to your attack. So, you cannot attack the other two guards; you have to pick one.

Also, if you attack multiple targets with a single attack action, you have to draw separate modifier cards for each target. Also, if it is a ranged attack (which this is) you will be disadvantaged for each target that is adjacent to you.

Therefore, if you choose to attack the guard adjacent to you, you will be disadvantaged on the extra attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks Dwight Sullivan, Jay Johnson, Alexander Steinbach!

I lost my first scenario :/
I did a long rest after I cleared the first room. By then Cragheart had already 3 cards lost and he can't recover them.
The second room went fine. The two guards at the entrance were quickly killed but the elite archer at the back
sniped me off the world. With attack 3 (I play on level 2 scenario, since I am a solo player) this guy
basically had to shoot twice to kill one my hero's. I could even heal and run fast enough

What did I do wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
The solo bump really isn’t necessary if you’re still getting acquainted with the game - it’s hard enough at level 1.

Further, try not to lose too many cards before your first rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that you can lose a card from your hand or two from your discard to prevent any damage, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Alexander Steinbach, yes, I know that but I was loosing cards like crazy even before getting to the last room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say just try again now you have a better idea of your cards and abilities. Maybe this is a good time to look at your hand again and decide which level X cards you want to include. The X cards can be quite powerful in the right situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for advice.

I wonder, would the enemy archer with range 4 hit me in situation shown on the photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Thanks for advice.

I wonder, would the enemy archer with range 4 hit me in situation shown on the photo?

Of course. Why shouldn't he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Thanks for advice.

Definitely, yes. Note that the table do not block line of sight. Neither do other figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Des T. and Alexander Steinbach,
Many thanks for your replies.
I think I need to start the first scenario then a third time because my Cragheart is trapped there and will
be killed as soon as two archers and a living bones attacks him :/
Could I just have once walked on the door tile and back in the same move into the room where I came from?
Walking twice over the trap in the meantime but then let the enemies walk through the traps as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Could I just have once walked on the door tile and back in the same move into the room where I came from?

Yes. In fact, that is often the wisest way to deal with opening doors into new rooms.

metallon wrote:
Walking twice over the trap in the meantime but then let the enemies walk through the traps as well?

No. Once a trap is sprung, it is removed from the board. Traps only hit once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
would the living bones that is fighting my Cragheart now ever move on the trap to make space for the living bones behind it so it can also attack?
They are stuck at the door now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Hi,
would the living bones that is fighting my Cragheart now ever move on the trap to make space for the living bones behind it so it can also attack?
They are stuck at the door now.

No, monsters never move to "make room" for other monsters. (they are selfish and lazy. as long as they can focus on an enemy and attack without disadvantage, they will move the least amount possible. In this case, the living bones is content to stay in the doorway).

however, if the living bones that is standing behind the one in the doorway had a move 2, I believe it would move through its ally and onto the trap in order to attack the Cragheart (and the spellweaver, since Living Bones have Target 2 on their stat card). Since that is the only possible way that it can get an attack under the current setup (assuming it doesn't have a ranged attack on its current ability card). I'm not 100% certain on that, but that is my interpretation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I'm not 100% certain on that, but that is my interpretation

Seems correct to me.

I'm not 100% sure, but wouldn't the Bones in the door hop on the trap to be able to hit the Spellweaver with its second attack? I don't have my movement cheat sheets on me, so I can't tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think it would prioritize not stepping on a trap over maximizing the number of targets.

The one behind it would step on the trap with Move 2+ because there's no other path to a hex from which it could make an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.