BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Miniature Market] (2/17 Daily Deal) Conquest of Speros $6.00 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chicken Farmer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Daily Deal at Miniature Market is Conquest of Speros. $6.00. Their normal price is $12. Currently goes on Amazon for $23.

I watched the review video by themcquire, and he loved it. The artwork really is beautiful.

I read the two written reviews, and one guy didn't like it and said the cards were very flimsy, and the other reviewer didn't make any comment on the quality but said it was a great game. He also posted pictures of the cards so you can see.

Not bad for $6. There's also an expansion that is $6.49 on MM, but they've only got 2 left. I figure I'm just going to stick with the base game.

Don't forget you can do customer holds and get free shipping when you reach $99.

Oops... forgot a link https://www.miniaturemarket.com/dailynews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Funkfungus
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
This is a pretty enjoyable game, definitely worth $6 in my opinion.

It is an area control game where you place cards from your hand to the table, each of which have 3 to 5 encampments on which you place your minions in attempt to gain majority and win the card and capture other players' minions.

The main distinguishing mechanic is that at the beginning of your turn you discard one card and gain that particular written "discard ability." It might be placing or moving one of your minions, drawing cards, removing another player's minion, gaining one of your minions back, etc. You will be thinking "Do I want to use this card for the discard ability or play it to the table for future area control" OR "I want to play this card to the table but someone else will gain control or benefit more from it before it becomes my turn again" OR "Oh no! I like all my cards, I don't want to have to discard one"...that sort of thing.

You gain end game points for the cards you control, some cards have resources on them which will give you points for sets, and you get points for minions that you deploy (with it being most beneficial to place on certain terrain types based on your starting race and/or objective). Each player gets a hidden objective and there will also be several random objectives available to any player for end game scoring. These objectives definitely make the game better. Although the games are nothing similar, the lands and card powers will remind you of MTG.

A few things I didn't like about the game are that you score points for deployed minions even when another player has captured them. That felt a bit strange to me. Also there is no variety in regards to the victory points on the main card type where you play for majority control. Each card is worth 1 point regardless of whether it has a great power, more encampments, a resource with it, etc (There are a few "artifact" cards that have more victory points and better powers, but they are not something you draw and play...they are placed on the table at setup). The expansion pack may add some variety to the cards - I own it but haven't opened it yet.

Just posting in case it helps anyone make a decision. I like the game overall. I would say it is a pretty light game of the right length. For $6 even if you play it once you get your money's worth. For $20 I would probably buy something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.