Subject: Co-op sub genre and further information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristofer Lilja
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Im currently working on a simple and fun co-op game. You work together as a team but in the end its still the player with the most points who win. So its a combo between co-op and competition so to speak. I know that this type of games has been done many times before, and I need some knowledge about them. Do this type of games have a special name, like a sub genre to co-op? And where can I find more info and inspiration to my ongoing work.

Thankful for any information and help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there is an official name yet.

Some terms that have been used:

Competitive games where everyone can lose

Coopetitive games

Competitive cooperation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Examples:

Terra

The Omega Virus

I will note that for both of the above games, the official rules have one winner (or no winner) but I typically play them as pure cooperative games (either the group wins or the group loses). This eliminates the possibility of a player who is losing deciding to play poorly so that everyone will lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve seen “semi-co-op” used a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isidor Shniadoski
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I believe that the term Semi-Co-op has been used to describe this type of game. One game that comes to mind that features semi-co-op play is Martians-A Story of Civilization. All players work together to upgrade and maintain the colony, but the one who does the most is the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi co-op is probably the most commonly used term.

You should also be aware that many people consider it a genre with some particular design challenges. I believe the most commonly voiced critique is that different players give different weights to the different goals - if players prioritize winning as a group over losing as a group (regardless of whether they win individually) the game can work okay. But players will often see losing as a group as a better outcome than winning as a group but losing individually, meaning they lose motivation to play, or, at worst, deliberately throw the game.

These issues are not insurmountable, but you need to think about them if designing this type of game.

There are many threads about the issues with semi co-ops, see here and here for examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my experience they are either called dust collectors or cooperatives with some goofy scoring system that is ignored (see Legendary.) Unless there is a definite betrayal mechanic, then these games are now ignored by my game groups.

The question I ask is what is the central game experience supported by the multiple personalities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Lilja
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all info! This will make my ongoing work a bit easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Lilja
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whitescar wrote:
Semi co-op is probably the most commonly used term.

You should also be aware that many people consider it a genre with some particular design challenges. I believe the most commonly voiced critique is that different players give different weights to the different goals - if players prioritize winning as a group over losing as a group (regardless of whether they win individually) the game can work okay. But players will often see losing as a group as a better outcome than winning as a group but losing individually, meaning they lose motivation to play, or, at worst, deliberately throw the game.

These issues are not insurmountable, but you need to think about them if designing this type of game.

There are many threads about the issues with semi co-ops, see here and here for examples.

Thank you for explaining the issues with these kind of games! I will have this in my mind while designing my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.