Subject: Ability and Search cards next campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrique Ribeiro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
After completing the base game what do I take to the next Lost chapter 1 and campaigns? (HOG , Lost Ch 2 and downwood)

Lost chapter 1

2 ability
1 Search cards

HOG
Reset ALL or

2 ability
0 Search cards (1 Search cards makes the game to easy in the start?)

Lost chapter 2

2 ability
1 Search cards

Downwood

2 ability
0 Search cards (shuffle ALL Search cardápio into Search deck

How you guys made your setup?
And how was the difficulty to setup you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henriquedsr989 wrote:
After completing the base game what do I take to the next Lost chapter 1 and campaigns? (HOG , Lost Ch 2 and downwood)

Lost chapter 1

2 ability
1 Search cards

HOG
Reset ALL or

2 ability
0 Search cards (1 Search cards makes the game to easy in the start?)

Lost chapter 2

2 ability
1 Search cards

Downwood

2 ability
0 Search cards (shuffle ALL Search cardápio into Search deck

How you guys made your setup?
And how was the difficulty to setup you choose?

I played through it as if it was a normal campaign. I kept search cards earned but I did reduce my abilities down to two per character. Only because I wanted to try out some of the new stuff and didn’t want to have clutter.

But you can actually start each story as if it were a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started with just one extra Search card, as to personalize each character a bit more. Otherwise, beginning with the basic stuff allows to try new skills and items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played everything as one big campaign. So we always kept 1 search card into the next chapter as usual, as well as all the abilities.
(It's an ongoing story, so it seemed weird to us that Maginos would suddenly forget how to do Chain Lightning. )

In Heart of Glorm, keeping all the abilities did seem like it gave us a bit of an extra advantage at first, but not to a degree that it ruined the game.
In Downwood Tales it didn't matter much as that book ups the difficulty.

Lots of abilities don't actually make you more powerful, just more versatile. After all you can only spend your cheese once, and there's the 'once per initiative turn' limit anyway.
Also you'll be switching characters more often as there are 4 new ones (1 in HoG and 3 in DT) who all start from scratch. So having the main 6 go into Downwood already packing isn't that bad.

However, if you want to avoid clutter you could perhaps impose a limit to the amount of abilities per player (4 would seem like a good number, I think). And then you could say that you can replace an old one for 3 cheese instead of 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I still haven't palyed Downwood Tales (the spanish version is taking AGES!!), for HoG my concern with allowing Maginos in particular keep all his skills was that the new character, Neré, also shared the Magician trait. Thus, if Maginos kept all the good Magician skills, Neré would be very limited in her choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
While I still haven't palyed Downwood Tales (the spanish version is taking AGES!!), for HoG my concern with allowing Maginos in particular keep all his skills was that the new character, Neré, also shared the Magician trait. Thus, if Maginos kept all the good Magician skills, Neré would be very limited in her choices.

I actually liked how this forced us to develop Neré in a different way.

Maginos would have the 'power' magic like Chain Lightning, while Neré had the more 'nature magic (trick)' abilities like Strangle Vines.

Otherwise I'd think they might end up too similar, making Neré less fun to use.
It seemed to make thematic sense too that she would wield a different type of magic: he's a wizard but she's more of a shaman. (But if they wanted, they could also learn each other's skills.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also did this because I found it more interesting to have to different kind of magicians.

But I'd prefer that to be an option (specially if two players are playing one magician each), rather than a forced skill development.

That's all just rules theory, mind you. I agree wholy with you that there's no big issue if the characters begin with their previously learned skills each new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrique Ribeiro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing your opinions

When it comes to ability, I agree with you guys, the amount is not to change the difficulty Very much.

But what about the search cards?
Starting a new campaign suddenly with 1 powerful equipment for with mice, the new campaign does not become easy in the beginning? Or repetitive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henriquedsr989 wrote:

Starting a new campaign suddenly with 1 powerful equipment for with mice, the new campaign does not become easy in the beginning? Or repetitive?

Not THAT much, I would say.
I start with one helmet for Nez, or a better bow for Lily,... but usually nothing that you won't be finding after a few Searches and keeping for the whole campaign.
It also adds, IMO, to the fun of playing a certain character, specially after having completed a whole campaign like S&R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
I also did this because I found it more interesting to have to different kind of magicians.

But I'd prefer that to be an option (specially if two players are playing one magician each), rather than a forced skill development.

That's all just rules theory, mind you. I agree wholy with you that there's no big issue if the characters begin with their previously learned skills each new campaign.

That's why it does help to have 2 sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.