Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
...was terribly short.

Playing solo, as I am oft to do, I picked two random characters and outfitted them with the gear and equipment I thought necessary for tackling the Dead King. I had in my party an Ogre Brute and a Half-Elf Guardian, and thinking that it was a pretty good balance, I started my expedition.

Starting in the Rokk'to Encampment (city 3), I decided to head south to a location where I knew several orcs to be camping. Staying on the road, I managed to avoid getting lost or losing my food supplies due to rain (the turn's circumstance). There was no event, as I was out in the wilds, and the round ended with no sign of the Dead King.

The next round, I completed the trip to the orcs, and managed to stay on course with the help of the Guardian. Up to this point both members of the party had done well hunting, and no food was used up. This is good, as the next (now unavoidable) circumstance was to lose half my food. Feeling cocksure, I wasn't fazed in the least. Once again: no event, no Dead King.

I camped the following round, helping the orcs fight off a horde of undead, severely weakening my party (reduced to 1 health/energy each), but improving our fighting skill. The Guardian had a critical success, so she was on her way to getting an extra bump to her fight. The next circumstance we ignored, and no King appeared.

The next round I marched as fast as I could to Stormwrath Moot-Home (city 4) to turn in the quest. The party was badly hurt from our encounter with the undead, and my haste proved costly. We got lost, and ended up north of the city. The Guardian was starving at this point, as she'd run out of food. The Ogre managed to get by. Rolling the circumstance, we were attacked - by a Bone Legion. Fitting, as how we just battled with undead earlier. The Brute did what he could, delivering 10 points of damage in the first round, and the Guardian reflecting 8, but it wasn't quite enough to fell the Legion, and another round ensued. The Brute (admittedly a foolish move) went for the killing attack rather than use a potion, and the Guardian used Defense but was out of potions to use. The Legion hit both for 2 damage, which took the Brute out and knocked the Guardian down to 2 health. The, Legion, now defeated, offered up its bounty as the Guardian looked ahead to reviving the Brute.

The round ended.

The Guardian starved, taking her last 2 health.

Game over.

Let this be a lesson: Defend is a viable option, quests that won't completely hose you are preferable, and the world is a very dangerous place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an entertaining learning experience, with plenty of unpredictability. Hoping to receive my copy this week.

Thanks for the tips, keeping food at hand is near and dear to my heart most of the time and seeing to health before trusting to luck is always a sound approach unless the clock is winding down.

Did you find the "atmosphere" pretty immersive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds typical of everyone's first game of this. My first play I died on my second turn! laugh

I managed a full game spread over Thursday and Saturday evening last week and was thankful to say I even managed to defeat the Dead King by the end! The game sure does punish you for making mistakes but just take this premature death as a learning lesson and make sure you leave a city with plenty of supplies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Sounds like an entertaining learning experience, with plenty of unpredictability. Hoping to receive my copy this week.

Thanks for the tips, keeping food at hand is near and dear to my heart most of the time and seeing to health before trusting to luck is always a sound approach unless the clock is winding down.

Did you find the "atmosphere" pretty immersive?

On my first play I couldn't say how immersive the atmosphere was, as I spent a lot of time going back and forth in the rules and overthinking wording and interactions, etc. But my second game was much more intuitive, and therefore lent itself to developing a narrative while playing (which is what I do in all my solo gaming). And even my first, due to the luck of the dice, provided a thematic narrative.

Over all, once all things are in order, I'd say it the game is quite immersive - the constant pressure to move forward, racing against the Dead King, the need to balance risks against rewards, the decisions on what to buy in town (Increase my attack? Get camping gear? Buy food because I'm awful at scavenging) and making sure you're never too far away to get back before things go south - very fine, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Bouvot
France
Massy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did my first few game turns this afternoon. At turn five, I had killed the first boss, but it was time to pack things back in the box and prepare meals.
The first few turn will give you momentum or drag you down I think. But it is a great design and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.