Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Don’t buy the GF9 Starbases! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi all.

My post is intented to be an advice to all that would buy the starbases from Gale Force Nine, it’s real garbage! I really don’t understand why they sell it at this incredible high prices and all you have in your hands is rubbish, poor material and even the pattern is horrible, the assembly is impossible unless you use glue, many miniatures were already bent or damaged, simply do not buy them!

I’m really disapponted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Photos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i have to say that the Klingon and Romuland starbases were very high quality, while the rest was low quality resin for some reason.

the low quality models were bent, however when you already have worked with resin models, it's not something you cannot fix with a bit of hot water (warm it up and slowly bend back into shape)

i was a bit annoyed by the assembly, but it's nothing too complicated really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
We were never promised pre-assembled or pre-painted models... Mine are fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
I don’t have any experience with any kind of miniatures but I think that for 11 Euros, 55 Euros far all, that is really quite a bit price, they can produce a better article for both design and materials.
I’ll post photos as soon as I go back home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emiliano1977 wrote:
Hi all.

My post is intented to be an advice to all that would buy the starbases from Gale Force Nine, it’s real garbage! I really don’t understand why they sell it at this incredible high prices and all you have in your hands is rubbish, poor material and even the pattern is horrible, the assembly is impossible unless you use glue, many miniatures were already bent or damaged, simply do not buy them!

I’m really disapponted.

I thought they were fine. Not the best quality but glueing them took a few seconds, then an undercoat and quick paint, look good. Better than the cardboard.
However I'm still waiting for my Romulan star bases. I've sent them an email asking when they can be expected. No response. GF9 customer service can be pretty shocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of people and general board gamers just expected fully assembled miniatures like games tend to have. Anyone who has ever played any kind of tabletop war game is a little more understanding. They kind of expect models to need some cleanup and work before they are usable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
I understood what you want to say and I respect your point of view but the 15 miniatures in total cost me 60 euros almost as the whole basic game, which contains very different minuatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that quality may vary when it comes to resin models, but mine were all nice:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I hand some damaged ones for the cardy’s. I contacted them and they sent me a new pack Immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wandolowski
United States
Fox Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Federation Pack had one where the disc was bent. The Romulans I could not even use. One was broken in half and two of the holes were filled with resin, so I couldn't even assemble them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got one of each as like an early purchaser bonus or something. Mine were unassembled, but not otherwise bad. I broke a piece putting them together but that was my fault and nothing that couldn't be fixed with superglue.

Definitely overpriced though.

(Are they for sale anywhere except conventions yet? I keep waiting for CSI to get them in stock, but, it hasn't happened.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from boardgameextras and they seem to have had them for some time. I get the impression that the UK is better supplied when it comes to GF9 products...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think so. I'll just be patient.

Your paint jobs are beautiful, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Walker

Niagara Falls
msg tools
Couple examples here...

This was one of the warped bases (fixed with a couple rounds of hot water) and you can see one of the 'holes' in the right docking bay... Most of the models (except the Cardassian) had several of these.

Here is the Fed starbase that was mis-aligned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Promo Ones I had were all good. Thing is I wouldn't know what to do with them when I get the pack because the pack comes in 3 a piece. But after what has been shown I may be keeping them in case one of the Star Bases ends up as warped as some of the pictures.

It is't like you need them to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btw everyone is always taking about hot water - a hairdrier works just as well and with much less hassle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had mine on preorder for .... a year? Not sure what's going on at Coolstuff with these things. No word. Seems like everything I order that's made by Wizkids takes over a year to arrive after I order it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emiliano1977 wrote:
Hi all.

I’m really disapponted.

I also had major issues with the starbases. I got all 5 factions at GenCon. I can not recall right now, but I think the original 3 factions were ok, but the new expansion ones had major problems. The resin was sticky, similar to what the dice were like from Quamtum. Likewise the resolution on the mold was terrible. I wrote to them for replacements and am still waiting. I have been told there were delays in getting them from the supplier. So, yeah from my personal experience, they are poor quality and very expensive for what you get.

I did not post anything since I was suppose to get replacements and know sometimes things happen, but since I am still waiting since September when I contacted them and other people are having problems, I thought others should know about my experience.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Emiliano1977 wrote:
Hi all.

I’m really disapponted.

I just got the starbase models in to day and i must admit i'm a bit disappointed about the way they are made aswell. I mean you see better made figures in a kinda egg. And the price is way too much compair to what you get.I kind of wish you could buy the bases in a kinda egg .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
Today I’ve send a complain mail to GF9, waiting for their reply....

Right, like a Kinda egg but at 11 Euros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Even a happy meal with a toy wich uses more plastic is cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
But after some scraping and heating I manage to form them and fit them better. All i need now is glue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Mattias wrote:
I know that quality may vary when it comes to resin models, but mine were all nice:

nicely painted Mattias. What kind of paint did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm going to give a high-five to PCS Games here... if anyone is aware of their recent Battle of Britain release, PSC had the same quality issue with the plastic airplane minis for that game. And the community reaction was exactly the same as we see here in this thread.

So what they did to remedy the situation was find a new manufacturer and reproduce all the defective models on their dime. They're in the process of sending the replacement models to all customers now, at no cost to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.