Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, the first things people would think of is dungeon twister.

But I was more thinking about a game where one player plays the dungeon lord that tries to defend his dungeon. While the other player plays the guild master who tries to "Conquer the dungeon" by sending a group of heroes.

There could be various victory condition, Like control X points of dungeon, or bring back to the surface more than 50% of the dungeon loot or simply kill the dungeon lord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia seems to be the obvious answer.

Vast: The Crystal Caverns, although that might be a slight stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
Claustrophobia seems to be the obvious answer.

That's the answer I'd give for sure. Tremendous game and a great value with the beautifully painted figures and illustrations on the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another shutout for Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fallen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Also any of the Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord series of games kind of fit the bill. You both play the hero and the DM on your turns. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Is there a criterion here which precludes Descent (or any standard dungeon crawler) where one player controls all the heroes?

Just curious, mostly. Not sure if the quality of "a face-off" implies something in particular about the game, other than two competing players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. "Fallen" looks interesting, and "Vast" looks intriguing.

It's just that I am thinking a lot about dungeon crawlers in recent weeks and I can never play them because it requires a game master, takes a lot of time and space, etc.

So I had an idea to make a cheap and small dungeon crawler where one player has 4 heroes of his choice with a pawn, a couple of tracks and maybe items. for each of them.

And the game master has a couple of dungeon tiles with squares on them with some furniture tiles which could be used for defense (block doors, flip table for cover, etc.) With some generic pawns and cubes for monsters.

Heroes and monster can be switched from game to game, this is why they would be abstract pieces instead of real mini. Keeps the game small and cheap.

The game would be about heroes assaulting the dungeon while the game master try to protect his assets and himself from death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Moore
msg tools
mb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
whavoc wrote:

First one I thought of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Alliance
The Others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
"Fallen" looks interesting,

It certainly does.

But the play is kind of boring.

I'd stick with Claustrophobia for a more tactical wargamy thing and Dungeoneer for a more 80s style alternatig DM/player thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer player versus player types, such as Arcadia Quest or Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Heroes is almost exactly what you're describing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, the theme does really look similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gaudet
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Ive always wanted to play Level 7 [Omega Protocol].

I like the idea of the DM having as many actions as the heroes spent. Seems it would make the game much more competitive and variable at the same time.

The theme is different than the usual dungeon crawler but is still pretty cool i find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
probably lighter than you want but wouldn't Boss Monster tick a lot of your boxes? Its competitive head-to-head (plays best as a 1v1 in my opinion), heroes delve through a dungeon of five rooms that you fashion, and the VC is collecting hero's souls.
Basically the only thing it doesn't do is have one player invading the others dungeon, and like I said, it may be too light to you, I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does it have to be a Dungeon crawl theme, because of what you describe sounds like Stronghold (2nd edition).

One person defends the castle while the other person has infinite legions of creatures to try and siege the castle in a certain amount of rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking more like a game where you move people around on a tactical board, or a dungeon crawl theme. There still needs to be a clear offender and defender. Where possibly 1 player have few strong units (heroes) and a player has a lot of weak units (dungeon lord)

It could possibly be simulated with Hero Scape by playing 4 heroes vs 4 squads + 1 hero for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia
Space Hulk
Conan
Descent
Doom tbg
Omega protocol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm .. HeroQuest???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could require some adaptation to make sure the Game Master is not just there to play the AI but really has to plan how he can defend his dungeon, setup his furniture at the right place, and select his units.

I could possibly be done, since I have the game, I could give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Thiede
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out

Catacombs and
Catacombs & Castles

Catacombs is a dungeon crawler with the DM setting up individual dungeon rooms with them selecting and positioning enemies with differing powers and the heroes have special powers and items as well. Players earn gold for defeated monsters that can be spent in shops or at the healer. In the end, they fight the dungeon lord.

Catacombs and Castles is a 1 on 1 skirmish type of game for two players where one player controls the dungeon side and the other one the heroes side.

Since you don't build a maze-like dungeon, but stay on one board, they have a small-ish footprint for what they are and once you went through the rules, both play actually really quickly.

One point worth mentioning: They do not use dice-based combat or stat-based movement but resolve everything through flicking wooden discs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you play coop dungeon crawlers, if the problem is, that one player has to be the "GM"?

Like Sword & Sorcery.

Other than that, I think the closest I can come up with to what you describe would be Conan or the upcoming Batman: Gotham City Chronicles.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.