BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #645 - reverendunclebastard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to pass the torch on to a user whose posts have caught my eye over the years, reverendunclebastard. Per the rules, I don't know him at all but his user name came immediately to my mind when I realized I needed to choose someone. I was so happy we aren't in the same country so he'd fit the bill.

He has a versatile gaming background, posts thoughtful, deep, and very useful information, and has a quite memorable user name and avatar.

We seem to cross paths in the wargame, rpg, and solo areas of the site.

After reading his statement that is just below here, I'm even happier that he accepted my choice. Thanks, reverendunclebastard, for yet another important contribution to the site by way of your statement below.

Here's him in his own words:

reverendunclebastard wrote:
"So it's time to write another of these bios! Being Geek of the Week rounds out my boardgame version of an EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony). I have been the 1-player Guild Sock Puppet of the Week, the RPG Geek of the Week, and finally this honour of Geek of the Week.

I initially entered boardgaming in the early 80's when I discovered a copy of Ares #8 in the back of a classroom. It had a game called Ragnarok in it. It was 2-player, but I broke it out and played both sides. It turned out to be the beginning of something great (and a precursor to my current solo gaming obsession). Throughout the 80's I played a combination of RPGs (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Top Secret, Chill) and straight up board games (Car Wars, OGRE, Talisman, Sticks and Stones, Chainsaw Warrior, ASL and more).

The demands of combining University with working two jobs and playing in a band meant that boardgaming fell off of my radar for a couple of decades. After graduation (with a B.Sc. in Zoology and Environmental Science) I focused on working and continuing my musical career. As a double bass player I have had the privilege of touring Canada and the northern U.S. many times. I have met tons of great people, seen some amazing geography, played lots of fun games, and experienced some unbelievable adventures.

This is my last band playing at my favourite venue in Toronto (I'm the cowboy hat wearing bass player):

More songs are here for the curious: https://thesurethings.bandcamp.com/

6 years ago, I left that band and took a break from music to focus on some personal growth. That growth included getting therapy to deal with lasting trauma from childhood sexual abuse. One of the things that I was encouraged to do was to get back in touch with my inner child. This led me straight back into board games. Since then I have acquired an extensive collection of games, from wargames to ameritrash to euros to RPGs. Almost all of my games are playable solo, which I do a lot. I have also found a great gaming group of local BGG members. We game frequently, and they are awesome folks.

I am currently renovating a house (I am a contractor) in Windsor, Ontario and hope to move there in the early summer. More room for gaming!! Hoping to connect with some gamers there (but I will always have solo gaming). I am so grateful for BGG, I spend a lot of time here, answering rules questions, lusting after new games, and posting solo variants (currently Kodama, Claustrophobia, Krosmaster, and Ferox).

I also love movies (especially horror), books (especially fantasy/sci-fi and non-fiction), and music (almost anything).

Let the questions begin!!"

Per tradition, I will start off with some questions--the first perhaps the most obvious:

1. Can you please explain your user name and avatar?

2. Your bio mentions that you've loved zombies since you were a kid. What are your top 3 zombie games, and why?

4. Can you tell us about some games you played as a kid that had a lasting influence on you?

5. Like me, you play board games and also solo RPGs. Do you get the same kind of experiences playing board games as RPGs? If not, how do they differ?

6. Do you have a favorite solo-designed wargame and if so, what is it?

7. About how many times will you play a game before writing up a solo variant, or is it something you create along the way, modifying it as you go?

Forgot his poll:

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie (tattoo edition):
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1 - I have had two girlfriends names tattooed on me.
40.8% 29
2 - I have two devils and one angel tattooed on me
35.2% 25
3 - I have a Hank Williams tattoo on my shoulder
29.6% 21
Voters 71
This poll is now closed.   71 answers
Poll created by adm1
Closes: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
3) ...'s your favorite alcoholic drink?
4) ...'s your favorite food?
5) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats! and I'm guessing there is nothing about you that is a lie? ie. no 2 (or 3) truths and 1 lie poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Rev!
Glad to see you as GotW - I've enjoyed a lot of your contributions in the 1 Player guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!

Here are my usual questions, beginning with the gaming question.

d10-1 Have you ever played any of the following games: Memoir '44, Shadows over Camelot, BANG!, High Noon Saloon, Sequence?

Now for some non-gaming questions.

Favorite?
d10-2 Kind of pie?
d10-3 Vegetable?
d10-4 Kind of Cookie?
d10-5 Flavor of Ice Cream?

d10-6Goats or Cows?
d10-7 Chickens or Ducks?
d10-8 Broccoli or Cauliflower?
d10-9 Apples or Oranges?
d10-1d10-0 Bears or Lions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:

Per tradition, I will start off with some questions--the first perhaps the most obvious:

1. Can you please explain your user name and avatar?

2. Your bio mentions that you've loved zombies since you were a kid. What are your top 3 zombie games, and why?

4. Can you tell us about some games you played as a kid that had a lasting influence on you?

5. Like me, you play board games and also solo RPGs. Do you get the same kind of experiences playing board games as RPGs? If not, how do they differ?

6. Do you have a favorite solo-designed wargame and if so, what is it?

7. About how many times will you play a game before writing up a solo variant, or is it something you create along the way, modifying it as you go?

Thanks again for the nomination! I feel very honoured.

1. Well my user-name is also my "stage name" when I perform. I did a solo tour after my last band broke up and I needed a catchier name than my (boring) given name of Steve! When I realized I needed an avatar I did a google search for "zombie avatar" and found mine, which I love!

2. My top 3 zombie games are:

Zombicide - because it perfectly captures the escalating threat of a zombie horde in a fun dice-chucker with tactical game play.

Run, Fight or Die - because it is a light and fast game to play that doesn't require a ton of thinking, great for days I am feeling a bit burnt out.

The Zombie Hack - Super fun RPG based on The Black Hack. Easy to solo, very rules light.

3. 42

4. Well Ragnarok from Ares Magazine definitely started my love of hex and counter games, and playing both sides of a wargame. Car Wars taught me to love crunchy rules. Call of Cthulhu showed me how much fun RPGs could be.

5. I find RPGs to be quite a different experience from boardgames. They are a wider sandbox and really tap into your creativity and imagination to an extent that boardgames struggle to keep up with. I also LOVE reading rules, so RPGs are great because I can buy PDFs and read rules all night long.

6. My favourite solo designed wargame is definitely R.A.F., the 1980s edition.

7. Generally if I buy a non-soloable game, I have perused the rules ahead of time online and have a vision for a variant. I will buy it and iterate the variant over dozens of plays. Generally I then recruit a few others by GM (or a WIP thread) to test out the rules and give me feedback. I like to have a variant well-tested before I post it for public consumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fourmyle21 wrote:
congratulations!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
3) ...'s your favorite alcoholic drink?
4) ...'s your favorite food?
5) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?

Thanks!

1 - I had my standard breakfast of hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese, grapes and coffee. For lunch it was my bosses birthday so I had a pulled-pork platter at a local BBQ place. For dinner I had General Tsao Chicken and some Yummy Yam sushi rolls.

2 - Coffee for sure! I am a junkie.

3 - Nothing beats a whiskey sour.

4 - If I could only have one type of food it would be Indian food.

5 - My favourite recipe is a French-Ribbed Pork Chop, wrapped in paper with onions, olive oil, thyme, pepper and apple and baked in the oven for about 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

My favourite wizard is Ged from A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin. I really wish there was an Earthsea game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Congrats, Rev!
Glad to see you as GotW - I've enjoyed a lot of your contributions in the 1 Player guild.

Thanks!!

JeffyJeff wrote:
congrats! and I'm guessing there is nothing about you that is a lie? ie. no 2 (or 3) truths and 1 lie poll?

Fixed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Eyed Jack wrote:
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!

Here are my usual questions, beginning with the gaming question.

d10-1 Have you ever played any of the following games: Memoir '44, Shadows over Camelot, BANG!, High Noon Saloon, Sequence?

Now for some non-gaming questions.

Favorite?
d10-2 Kind of pie?
d10-3 Vegetable?
d10-4 Kind of Cookie?
d10-5 Flavor of Ice Cream?

d10-6Goats or Cows?
d10-7 Chickens or Ducks?
d10-8 Broccoli or Cauliflower?
d10-9 Apples or Oranges?
d10-1d10-0 Bears or Lions?

I haven't played any of those games, but I am keen to try The Great War, which is related to Memoir.

I love Tourtiere (French-Canadian meat pie), parsnips, chocolate chip cookies and mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Goats (they can eat anything), Ducks (delicious), broccoli, apples and bears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
3. 42

Thanks for letting me know! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of playing games with others?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Here are my usual questions:

1) What game do you play when you are feeling sad - because you know it will cheer you up?

2) What is your favorite book genre?

3) Do you play games mostly in the same genre you read?

4) Assuming the zombie apocalypse happens, what is your zombie smasher of choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of playing games with others?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

1 - My first non-"family" game was a wargame, as I mention in my bio, so I have a lot of love for wargames and wargaming. I perhaps have a broader definition of "wargame" than some traditionalists (i.e. I think COIN games are clearly wargames) though.
2 - My favourite wargame system is Panzer Grenadier (particularly fond of Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin). I have spent many hours with it over my lifetime.
3 - I played some Risk back in high school with some very competitive friends. We found the game a bit frustrating though, and quickly moved on to daily games of Car Wars instead.
4 - Similar to the answer for #3. We quickly moved past Axis & Allies to an ongoing obsession with Car Wars.
5 - I think March of the Ants is a criminally underappreciated 4x game with a unique theme and a very reasonable play time.
6 - My strongest memory of group play was a years long Call of Cthulhu campaign back in high school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Congrats!

Here are my usual questions:

1) What game do you play when you are feeling sad - because you know it will cheer you up?

2) What is your favorite book genre?

3) Do you play games mostly in the same genre you read?

4) Assuming the zombie apocalypse happens, what is your zombie smasher of choice?

Thanks!

1 - I think Fields of Arle is my most therapeutic game. It just feels so warm and peaceful to play. It is my go to "cheer me up" game.

2 - I think it is a pretty even split for first place between sci-fi and non-fiction (with fantasy close behind)

3 - Unlike my taste in books, I play a lot of horror themed games. I do read some horror books, but not like I used to, but I can't get enough of scary games (and movies).

4 - A good old fashioned baseball bat would be my choice. No bullets to run out of, and keeps you at arms length from the bitey bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Rev!! Awesome, my friend. Very much deserved. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I enjoy your posts on BGG.

1. I was in Toronto last summer and I got to check out a couple of the Snakes and Lattes.
Have you been to any of them? What have your experiences with them been like?

We have game stores with play areas in my hometown, but nothing quite like Snakes and Lattes here.

2. I see that you have very few games rated 10. Really only 2 games plus their expansions.
Are there any other games that are nearing 10 territory for you, and why?
What does it take to be one of your coveted "10s"?

By the way, in checking out your 10-rated games, I discovered The Solo System, thanks! Looks pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Congrats! I enjoy your posts on BGG.

1. I was in Toronto last summer and I got to check out a couple of the Snakes and Lattes.
Have you been to any of them? What have your experiences with them been like?

We have game stores with play areas in my hometown, but nothing quite like Snakes and Lattes here.

2. I see that you have very few games rated 10. Really only 2 games plus their expansions.
Are there any other games that are nearing 10 territory for you, and why?
What does it take to be one of your coveted "10s"?

By the way, in checking out your 10-rated games, I discovered The Solo System, thanks! Looks pretty cool.

1 - I have been to the Bloor St. Snakes & Lattes once, but the one on College Street is a regular hang out for me. I meet up with some other Toronto BGG folks all the time for gaming. I love it, decent food, friendly staff, lots of games (although we usually bring our own) and located close to me. Highly recommended for anyone who visits the city.

2 - I think for me a 10 is a game that I cannot imagine not owning. If I were forced to strip my collection down to a handful of games, these would be the ones I would absolutely keep. So far that is Arkham Horror and Scythe, something old and something new, plus The Solo System which is a genius creation that has allowed me to enjoy lots of games that wouldn't otherwise make it to the table. I suspect that both March of the Ants and Glass Road will make to a 10 rating one day too.

Thanks for the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worst Friend Ever
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rev. Totally deserved.

Have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Congrats, Rev.!

- If you could collaborate with any musician or band, alive or dead, who would it be?

- Has double-bass led to any other instruments, or have you stayed true to your original love?

- Wargaming in 2018: dying hobby, golden age, or renaissance?

- Solo gaming: Designed-for-solitaire or play-both-sides?

- 2-player+ gaming: VASSAL or face-to-face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation, rev! Solo role-player, wargamer, and now I learn you are a double bass player AND you are on Bandcamp: extra-cool! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Steve!

Have a wonderful week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In a hole in the ground there lived a
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rev! Well deserved. Enjoy your week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rev! A consistently high quality presence around the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.