Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can’t remember now years after the fact where I might have read this, but I have hand-written into my Gyges rule book that “repositioning must change the board position”. I wrote this at the end of the “advanced rules” section in my Giamic edition (which I believe was part of the original rules). Does anyone know if it’s required that the board position be changed after each move? Not changing the board position after a normal/ basic move seems impossible, but it does seem possible to repeat the board position after a bounce/jump or a repositioning move, baring a rule to the contrary, which I do not see.

What’s promting this question is that even though I find no mention of a requirement for a bounce/jump move needing the change the board position, BoardSpace seems to disallow this. For example, bouncing a 1 piece off an adjacent 3 piece and then landing on the same space you started the move of the 1 piece from. Fine and dandy and I can see how this makes sense. However, what seems inconsistent is that BoardSpace will allow a repeated board position during a repositioning move. For example, moving a back line 3 piece onto another 3 piece 3 spaces away and then repositioning the landed-on 3 piece to the originally moved 3 piece’s starting space. Maybe a bug? Allowing repeats in board position could lead to deadlocks and interminable games in the case of a defiant AI.

Calling in Dave in case he knows something about this ...
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my correspondance with Claude Leroy, you can't
return to the original position. He was aware that wasn't
in the gigamic rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is such a rule in the last sentence (in the last section titled "Nota Bene") of the Jactalea 2007 edition's French rules: "you cannot make a move whose outcome would repeat the previous board situation"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
According to my correspondance with Claude Leroy, you can't
return to the original position. He was aware that wasn't
in the gigamic rules.

Thanks Dave. That’s great to hear. Consider this a bug report then since repositioning the same kind of piece as the moving piece back onto the originating space is being allowed (thus effectively returning to the same position).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.